Pocket Uae

Yes Please and if you want another amiga nut for a beta tester put me down, I have tried the pocket pc version and though a little slow seems to run quite well if anyone else with a pocket pc wants to give it a try go here pocketuae site

With all of the custom chips the Amiga emu on the GP32 would be only a tech demo (a cool one though) and not very useful for games as it would be slow, and have no sound.

Skeezix,

It would be cool if you did an Amiga emu. It is entirely up to you but on the GP32 side of things having Castaway up to speed on the GP32 is probably more practical, It is so close but many games still run a bit slow. Maybe add a Cyclone version to castaway(maybe a menu to select between Cyclone and "C" core) and it would be perfect on the games not affected with the Cyclone bug. Just a thought. But you are probably looking mostly at the Palm OS side of things as the primary target machine when considering this emu and they have 400 MHZ machines so an Amiga emu would make more sense for those.

Castaway is never slow for me. Maybe I don't use graphic hogging games :S. Or maybe I just can't remember how fast they're supposed to be maybe.

Castaway seems perfect to me :) (well speed wise, gamma and the amount of saves could do with changing maybe). It's fine though! I'd rather an amiga emulator, even just for the shits and giggles was ported :D.

To be honest i think id piss my pants if we got an amiga emu, best thing i ever owned.
Go for it. The worst thing that can happen is it wont work, but we'll all love ya for trying.

Dozer posted on Jul 23 2004 at 11:55 PM said:
Castaway is never slow for me. Maybe I don't use graphic hogging games :S. Or maybe I just can't remember how fast they're supposed to be maybe.

Castaway seems perfect to me :) (well speed wise, gamma and the amount of saves could do with changing maybe). It's fine though! I'd rather an amiga emulator, even just for the shits and giggles was ported :D.
Try Xenon 2. It is kind of "draggy/sluggish" and you need frameskip. Othe games I tried seem a bit slow too. It is good but could be alot better with the ASM core.

If Castaway is struggling than an Amiga emu (bunch more custom chips) would crawl.

My thing is this I would rather have perfect ST rather than unplayable Amiga. That is just me.

You must have a FLU because the gamma is fine on the BLU, looks really nice.

Don't get me wrong I love the Amiga and had a 1000 and then a 2000, it is just a question of practicality.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 23 2004 at 11:45 PM said:
With all of the custom chips the Amiga emu on the GP32 would be only a tech demo (a cool one though) and not very useful for games as it would be slow, and have no sound.

Skeezix,

It would be cool if you did an Amiga emu. It is entirely up to you but on the GP32 side of things having Castaway up to speed on the GP32 is probably more practical, It is so close but many games still run a bit slow. Maybe add a Cyclone version to castaway(maybe a menu to select between Cyclone and "C" core) and it would be perfect on the games not affected with the Cyclone bug. Just a thought. But you are probably looking mostly at the Palm OS side of things as the primary target machine when considering this emu and they have 400 MHZ machines so an Amiga emu would make more sense for those.

There it is again - "the Amiga is too 1337 for j00!". LOL!

It makes me laugh, everytime an emulator for the Amiga is talked about there is always someone (who probably owned an Amiga... hey I'm just guessing!) who chirps up with "The Amiga is so powerful, it has so many custom chips, you'll NEVER be able to emulate it!"

Honestly the only way the Amiga is going to stand up to the hype it's been given is if Arnie came back with it in his hands from 2015 to 1984... B)

With Cyclone on an Atari ST and Amiga, it's hard to say how it would cope since I developed it in a Megadrive emulator. The computers use more of the functionality. It could work brilliantly, or there could be details of Supervisor and User mode which aren't implemented right yet.

Either way I hope someone will point them out to me, so I can get Cyclone perfect. Otherwise, one day I hope to write a Pocket PC/GP32 Amiga emulator based around Cyclone in order to make sure Cyclone is perfect for computers as well as console, but I don't know when that will be.

There it is again - "the Amiga is too 1337 for j00!". LOL!

Well there we have it. FDave is gonna have to help Jeff with this project just so he can gain some insight into how 1337 the Miggy was and is ;)

Go on Dave, get involved. Not only will we be eternally grateful but you'll also gain a hell of a lot of respect for what is probably still the most advanced personal computer architecture ever developed.

PCs get there with grunt. Tha Amiga get's there with style!

I would also welcome an Amiga emulator, as i am an Amiga owner myself (hence the name). I don't know how well it would run on the GP32, since the new Cyclone thingy is out. I thought the CaSTaway emulator was brilliant and ran most games 95-100% speed. How well does PocketUAE run on the Pocket PC and at what spec?

BaDToaD posted on Jul 24 2004 at 10:46 AM said:
PCs get there with grunt. Tha Amiga get's there with style!
I really love this sentence :)

CU_AMiGA posted on Jul 24 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
I would also welcome an Amiga emulator, as i am an Amiga owner myself (hence the name). I don't know how well it would run on the GP32, since the new Cyclone thingy is out. I thought the CaSTaway emulator was brilliant and ran most games 95-100% speed. How well does PocketUAE run on the Pocket PC and at what spec?
Tried Pocket uae on my Asus A620 400mhz. It works great (frame skip 5), Athough the sound stutters in pretty much anything that has sound. There is an option in the config file that allows you to turn the sound off, But afaik it does not disable the sound so there is no speed increase with the sound off. It is alot more playable (with the sound off) as the stuttering sound can get irritating after a while.

Oh, Heard that someone has got workbench 3.9 working on Pocket uae, But there is no fast memory support yet, So Wb 3.9 is not really usable at the moment.

Btw, It does look sweet. :D

EDIT: Spelling ;)

Trooper

I would love an Amiga emulator even with no sound as I would finally be able to play Colonization & Alien Breed on my GP32!

I might seriously have to get a Pocket PC one of these days...

®

always miss these kinda threads till later,

you know the gp32 scene has offically turned stupid,

i dunno if im having a dream....waitttttt! one thing bought me down to crushing reality diddnt win my 1980' sheffield united shirt :(

dammn work making miss the auction

I was thinking of porting this, but wasn't sure because I didn't think it would run fast enough to be usable. I'm glad Skeezix is having a go though. With a good replacement ASM core such as Cyclone, this could really show what the GP32 is capable of :)

Azure posted on Jul 24 2004 at 09:17 PM said:
LHC posted on Jul 24 2004 at 01:18 PM said:
I never had an amiga :(
Me neither. So, unfortunately, I'm not all too excited :(

Do yourself a favour - get WinUAE, turn up the volume, and fire up a few games. Try:

Superfrog
Disposable Hero
SWOS
Project X
Alien Breed 2
Jim Power
Ruff 'n Tumble

I defy you not to be excited after that :p

I just fired up Superfrog on my Xbox emulator - I'd really forgotten just how good the old Miggy's sound really is - would be quite remarkable to have a fully emulated Amiga 500 with decent sound.

centrlink posted on Jul 24 2004 at 08:02 PM said:
Azure posted on Jul 24 2004 at 09:17 PM said:
LHC posted on Jul 24 2004 at 01:18 PM said:
I never had an amiga :(
Me neither. So, unfortunately, I'm not all too excited :(

Do yourself a favour - get WinUAE, turn up the volume, and fire up a few games. Try:

Superfrog
Disposable Hero
SWOS
Project X
Alien Breed 2
Jim Power
Ruff 'n Tumble

I defy you not to be excited after that :p

I just fired up Superfrog on my Xbox emulator - I'd really forgotten just how good the old Miggy's sound really is - would be quite remarkable to have a fully emulated Amiga 500 with decent sound.
Meh, downloaded WinUae, got the recommended games, couldn't get anything to work...

Back