Pocketsnes V4

Last edited by a moderator:
why is everyone hating :angry:
but seriously i dont like squidgesnes cuz ive lost hours and hours of save games the next time i booted it up...

<_< damn ingrate. <_<
so thats what this is about... ok
I'm sorry please think of "down with squidge!"
as "out with the old in with the new"

well it did come across very rude
It still does since squidge is the author not the emulator.

Yes sensible GP32 missed off a credits section in the main post. You have to have a credits section or people forget where most of the code in PocketSnes has come from and start to think that I wrote it all.....which I didn't. In fact I've not even touched any of the snes emulation code.

Credits go to:
Snes9x team - for creating the original Snes9x emulator from which squidgeSnes and PocketSnes are based.
Notaz - ASM sound core and lots and lots of other fixes
Squidge - PocketSnes uses alot of code from Squidgesnes, basically its Squidgesnes with the rendering code from PocketSnes.
Rlyeh - The SDK I use is based largely on the minimal lib created by Rlyeh.
Reesy - Menu system

For me pocketsnes works better, because of the frameskipping and the transparancies and the music working well in FF3 :)
so thanks reesy!
But still most of the code is squigesnes' :) so thanks squidge!
Perhaps is would be the best if squide would work with reesy to improve on some parts that are better in squidesnes right now.
But really this is already awesome because everything works as it should in FF3 even when the FPS says it's only 11 FPS it still feels like normal speed :) great work!!!

Wow, I've been out of the 2X loop so long I had to empty the hoover bag of dust twice as I cleaned my 2X.
So much stuff to try, this and the last incarnate of squidgesnes have been draining my batteries. Great stuff
Cheers Reesy and Squidge. :)
Oh and :eek: purple lizard! Goat thing

Wow! Great update!
I'm playing Macross:Scrambled Valkyrie right now and it is perfect! Couldn't play this one before because of the transparency issues. :D Having loads of fun right now!

This is sweet.

I've been playing pilot wings for ages (doing a lot of server installs/reinstalls at the mo :) )
Is it just me or is there a screen glitch where the bottom of the screen is duplicated at the top of the screen??

Superb work. Love the menu system ans saves aswell

cheers :D

The only 2 options I'd like to see in this emu is:

1. Add Ram Timing settings either by it's own menu, or a pre-set config file. (So they can be tweaked to each persons' GP2X)
2. Either add in the ASM Audio hack or an option to use the old C audio core for compatibility with some games. (Enix ones being the biggest culprit)

Other than that, I love this emu for the games that crawl under the regular SSnes.

-Kensupen

Has anyone used save states from v3 in this version of PocketSnes? Mine either make the game slower or this version seems to be slower. This version shouldn't be slower since Reesy said he didn't really touch any of the snes code. Just wondering.

Yes sensible GP32 missed off a credits section in the main post. You have to have a credits section or people forget where most of the code in PocketSnes has come from and start to think that I wrote it all.....which I didn't. In fact I've not even touched any of the snes emulation code.

Credits go to:
Snes9x team - for creating the original Snes9x emulator from which squidgeSnes and PocketSnes are based.
Notaz - ASM sound core and lots and lots of other fixes
Squidge - PocketSnes uses alot of code from Squidgesnes, basically its Squidgesnes with the rendering code from PocketSnes.
Rlyeh - The SDK I use is based largely on the minimal lib created by Rlyeh.
Reesy - Menu system

sorry it was late i was tired :)

i found a few bugs i'm not sure everyone else encountered since there was no mention about it.

the emulator seems to crash randomly when rushing through the options and savestates menus.
it happened quite a few times when i was changing speed, screen size etc or/and when i was loadino/reloading several savestates in a brief moment.

another strange thing is that savestates seem to work only as long as the games options remain unchanged.
for example: i wasn't able to use a savestate made while playing with sound and scaled screen when i decided to play without sound or with unscaled screen.

the game just wouldn't go any further but it wasn't frozen and i still could come back to pocketsnes menu.

and now i wonder: did i make myself clear enough ? :unsure:

these little glitches put aside, pocketsnes is quite awesome !
thanks again, Reesy !

This is soooo much perfect already.
'xcept for the buttons. An SNES-like config would really be helpful, as games like Super Mario World are terrible to play with those weird button setup :)

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks Reesy!

'xcept for the buttons. An SNES-like config would really be helpful, as games like Super Mario World are terrible to play with those weird button setup :)

:blink: there's already an option to swap controls

/me crosses purple_goat off the list for the next beta version of SquidgeSNES :p

:D

Mhhh... about that next beta... any info? :lol:

Last edited:

That's funny, I missed it on the config list completely too. I had worked up a post where I said I was reading the Super Metroid manual and based on that and how the SNES buttons are laid out on the real controller they didn't match up in the same layout on the gp2x -then I discovered the menu option and I deleted the post! :rolleyes:

Has anyone used save states from v3 in this version of PocketSnes? Mine either make the game slower or this version seems to be slower. This version shouldn't be slower since Reesy said he didn't really touch any of the snes code. Just wondering.
I have used saved states from v3 for FF6 with v4 now and i've noticed no difference in gameplay/speed

I had a look at the source code and i noticed that there already is everything needed to add cheat support. it has the mem searching capabilities, cheats database, action replay, game genie, gold finger, the only thing that's missing is a frontend for it all on the gp2x. Are you guys going to create a little frontend for it ?
if not could u enable the command line option parsing and cheats then so that we can use the -GameGenie -actionreplay -goldfinger command line options to enable cheats. We could search cheats for it on the windows version where squidge / pocket snes is based on and then use scripts to enable the cheats.

I have used saved states from v3 for FF6 with v4 now and i've noticed no difference in gameplay/speed

THere shouldn't be any differences between both versions as Reesy is not working on the SNES emulation itself
BTW, Why isn't Tales of Phantasia playable? Does it use SuperFX or another chip? because i'm playing it on ZSNES and really like the combat system! and what about Terranigma?

Back