Pocketsnes V6 Released

fusion_power posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:09 PM said:
...Those transparencies really suck FPS...whoa... 270MHz with 25FPS average is hard to believe for such a tiny little 16 Bit 2D Jump'N Run like Super Metroid, when I can play Payback at 200MHz with HDR and in 3D on the same Handheld :lol:

One is written specifically for the system, the other is an emulator of another system. Kind of a big difference.

I find it to be very playable with transparencies at 240 MHz. Some games are pretty much full speed. Most games look ALOT better with the transparencies too.

Since the two coding geniuses Reesy and Squidge are massaging the rendering code it should get much better eventually, patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 08:02 PM said:
...Those transparencies really suck FPS...whoa... 270MHz with 25FPS average is hard to believe for such a tiny little 16 Bit 2D Jump'N Run like Super Metroid, when I can play Payback at 200MHz with HDR and in 3D on the same Handheld :lol:

One is written specifically for the system, the other is an emulator of another system. Kind of a big difference.
Yes, it was a bad comparison. I should compare Emulator with Emulator. And when I look at CPS2 or MegaDrive or NEO GEO (!) on GP2X I think the SNES can be much more faster in the Future. :) Maybe the ARM Chips can do transp. in hardware or so?

fusion_power posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:06 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 08:02 PM said:

Yes, it was a bad comparison. I should compare Emulator with Emulator. And when I look at CPS2 or MegaDrive or NEO GEO (!) on GP2X I think the SNES can be much more faster in the Future. :) Maybe the ARM Chips can do transp. in hardware or so?

Transparency in hardware on gp2x...?? I highly doubt that

Transparency doesn't suck up all the speed, drawing all the background layers so it can find out what to make transparent does. Therefore, it can almost double the work of the gfx engine before it even gets to the "transparency" part (as the snes works by taking background layers and using a color subtraction or addition technique).

I found an odd bug in the sound processor during Chrono Trigger... in the cavern after the Mystic's town the background noise doesn't work correctly, it plays through the environment noise loop once then it freezes on one tone. It does reset properly when the music changes though.

I can post a savestate for this if it would be helpful.

hi all,

dont know if its mentioned before, have not read the whole thread. if i start GMU after PocketSNES i get stuttering while playing mp3 files. maybe the clockspeed, memtimings arent set back at exit?!

and if there would be an option to enable/disable transparencies with a button it would be awesome.

thanks for this nice emulator :)

wrdaniel

Reesy, would you mind putting gamegenie\proactionreplay code capability in Pocketsnes? I ask 'cause I noticed the ease with which notaz put it in Picodrive despite really not wanting cheating in it. So, er, could ya whip up a quickie to accommodate those of us who SUCK? Or even better (and I know this REALLY stretching it, especially considering that its a n00b making the request), include the capability in the next version of PocketSNES? And oh yeah, thanks for your work so far :D

Well, seeing as this threads been brought up again, could you make a little change to let the ROM select menu see *.fig files? They seem to run fine when renamed to *.smc.
Thanks..

DaveC said:
Since the two coding geniuses Reesy and Squidge are massaging the rendering code it should get much better eventually, patience.
Any chance to backport DrPocketSNES to standard linux/SDL? I spent two weeks trying to port it to Nokia 770 internet tablet and failed [fail IMG] :(

It looked so simple ... just drop-in a sdl SWsurface instead of the /dev/fb0 renderer. But i endeded up with a mess when trying to merge-in snes9x components for files, savegames etc. I can share the work-in-progress withanyone who wants to work on it.

The nokia 770 has a similar CPU to the gp2x:
Processor : ARM926EJ-Sid(wb) rev 3 (v5l)
BogoMIPS : 125.76
Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp java

Edit: Looking at some of the differences, it appears that the MMU hack is a major spedup.

"Transparency doesn't suck up all the speed, drawing all the background layers so it can find out what to make transparent does. Therefore, it can almost double the work of the gfx engine before it even gets to the "transparency" part (as the snes works by taking background layers and using a color subtraction or addition technique)."

So I might be able to get some improvements by dropping in some aligned/optimised ARM memcpy/memmove, but i'm still thinking that I should start with squidge and reesy's emus and working back from there.

<sigh> ~If i only had a brain...~ Cheers

Sorry for raising an old thread, but I just noticed that PAL games are emulated too fast, at 60Hz as opposed to the required 50Hz (that's 20% too fast, so it's quite noticable). Is there an option I'm missing to set this or is it just a bug that the sync rate isn't set according to ROM region?

cappuchok said:
Sorry for raising an old thread, but I just noticed that PAL games are emulated too fast, at 60Hz as opposed to the required 50Hz (that's 20% too fast, so it's quite noticable). Is there an option I'm missing to set this or is it just a bug that the sync rate isn't set according to ROM region?
Some weeks ago in gp32spain a coder called Headoverwheels released a hack based on this last version and it corrected this problem and added usb gamepad support ;) :

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=U4C2S8I2

Enjoy it ;)

Rivroner said:
Some weeks ago in gp32spain a coder called Headoverwheels released a hack based on this last version and it corrected this problem and added usb gamepad support ;) :

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=U4C2S8I2

Enjoy it ;)

Thanks, that did the trick. It does have one issue that wasn't in the previous build though, this one will cut a moderate amount of lines off the bottom of the image, especially noticable in Super Mario World, the intro screen with the wooden blocks around it lack the blocks at the bottom of the European version while it doesn't in the official v6 build (which on the other hand runs it too fast by far) or in PC based emulators like ZSNES. Just a thought.

Rivroner said:
I only use NTSC roms and i haven´t notice tha problem.
I'd expect that. This problem only affects PAL games. NTSC versions are fine. And the new version didn't fix this, so I guess I'll stick to NTSC versions.

Back