Drmd V5 Beta 4 - Squidge-injected Version

puyo puyo also has white squares around the falling 'blobs'
not unplayable but very annoying

thanks for your hard work reesy

Amazing improvement to speed! But the controls are peeing me off lol. And I noticed in Golden axe you get 2 X 1cm borders at the sides of the screen, with flickering lines, like a speccy loading lol

Amazing improvement to speed! But the controls are peeing me off lol. And I noticed in Golden axe you get 2 X 1cm borders at the sides of the screen, with flickering lines, like a speccy loading lol
Its a known glitch, and will be fixed when he rewrites the drawing routines for the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to configure the controls. They come whacked out when you first install the emu.

The borders are not a bug, some Megadrive games are just made that way with less horizontal resolution.

Uh oh :)

I have read many post, but I don't understand why when a person write in not-so-perfect-english, is ignored or "insulted"... hey! The foreign people is trying best to make a understandable english :)

(Yes, I speak italian, I'm from Switzerland but where people speak only italian :) and yes, I cannot write very well english, I can only read without problems.

(ok, DARKGATE had a... very bad "reaction"... but is not the first time where english-people "bashed" him, or have made stupid jokes because of "poor" written english...) (sry DARKGATE but is true)

Ok, apart for this little "introduction", I'm try to ask politely the question made by DARKGATE :)

He cannot play Mortal Kombat1 because the input is not working (the command are not responding :/ ).

Anyone has this problem?

Anyone has a suggestion or tip? :)

Thanks for yours patience ;) and... btw, great job Reesy!

the thing isn't that he cannot write proper english but rather what he writes. i mean this "REPEAT" and the capital letters and the smilies :( .... it's just that he's so fucking impolite in the first place not his being unable to use the english language. i think everyone here is used to improper english because of the many non-native guys here (like me - from germany)

EDIT: the smilie isn't the one i used but the one that looks so pissed. dunno how to make this.

You need to configure the controls. They come whacked out when you first install the emu.

The borders are not a bug, some Megadrive games are just made that way with less horizontal resolution.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't make that point very clear! The borders are normal, the speccy lines aren't

The speed these emulators are running now is great. I have a long donation list growing... (ooer)

Had a quick look at the latest version last night - Looks pretty good but there is just one thing.

Being lazy I like to be able to see the list of roms rather than having to go to the path they are contained in. I notice that where previously this emu would scan the rom directory and make all available with this release each time I load a new rom I have to find the path.

Is there a way to revert back to the old method or am I missing something??

Had a quick look at the latest version last night - Looks pretty good but there is just one thing.

Being lazy I like to be able to see the list of roms rather than having to go to the path they are contained in. I notice that where previously this emu would scan the rom directory and make all available with this release each time I load a new rom I have to find the path.

Is there a way to revert back to the old method or am I missing something??

once you have found your path... go to the settings and choose "Save current rom directory"

next time you so to load a rom, it will remember your rom directory that you saved.

bosh...simple as.

Great release.

I didn't even realise that one of my favourite Megadrive games, Psycho Pinball, wasn't running at full speed before. Now it's much faster, smoother, and more difficult (and it was tough before, haha) :)

Thanks Reesy!

Why isn't this working for me? Every rom I try to load I am just getting a black screen. I'm on firmware 1.2.1. No overclocking. Never had a problem with previous versions.

EDIT: Problem solved. Upgraded to firmware 2.0.

I do find one thing odd though - I tried to save the game, and the music stopped and a toned bleep replaced it instead, which slowly died down and then the game was completely silent - soon as I load the save again it happens again, exactly the same.

The games work fine, but saving seems a bit odd ;)

I have noticed this too. Everytime I try to make a savestate in the Sonic 2 level select screen (I am such a cheater :p ), I get the exact same problem.

devestation posted on Jul 3 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
I do find one thing odd though - I tried to save the game, and the music stopped and a toned bleep replaced it instead, which slowly died down and then the game was completely silent - soon as I load the save again it happens again, exactly the same.

I have noticed this too. Everytime I try to make a savestate in the Sonic 2 level select screen (I am such a cheater :p ), I get the exact same problem.

Sounds like a bug to me, I'll see if I can find anything. Could you possibly send the save state to my email address?

great progress!

but i haven't noticed any black line here, they are blue for me, dark or light blue..
i tried some sonics and they and are almost absent ingame,and they come much more when you pause! with sonic 2 it's almost impossible to see them except when paused

could that pause thingy be a hint?

nik166 posted on Jul 3 2006 at 01:29 PM said:
great progress!

but i haven't noticed any black line here, they are blue for me, dark or light blue..
i tried some sonics and they and are almost absent ingame,and they come much more when you pause! with sonic 2 it's almost impossible to see them except when paused

could that pause thingy be a hint?
Ya, its mostly only when pausing, as the screen is rendering the same thing i think. Dont go by me, Im no expert. But it is there when playing, but stuff is changing so rapidly, you wont notice it.

devestation posted on Jul 3 2006 at 08:47 AM said:

This sounds like the Z80 crashing. Alternatively, maybe just the YM2612. Are their states being saved along with the 68000?

Ive noticed this problem before in shining force 2. It seems to clear itself up usually when I enter another zone or attack in battle (cutting scenes).

The sound will speed up quickly and seem to reach the end of the sound clip and just stop..or if I'm really lucky I get a long annoying tone held till I leave the area or get in another battle. I take what I can get though, so just turn down the sound and look to put a hurt on something. You..are the man. Squidge is a crafty one too.

I was wondering if anyone (Reesy? ;) ) knows the reasoning for the 4MB rom size limit for MD games. Is it because bigger games wouldnt fit into the gp2x's ram? It would be really nice to be able to play Super Street Fighter 2. :)

Actually the max rom size should be 5,242,880 which should be big enough to fit all games, are you having problems loading something? I tend to pre-allocate the maximum amount of memory I need when I write code, which is why you will always see limits in my emulators. Let me know the exact rom name you are trying to load and I'll try it as well and see if I get the same problem.

Epicenter posted on Jul 3 2006 at 09:52 PM said:
devestation posted on Jul 3 2006 at 08:47 AM said:

This sounds like the Z80 crashing. Alternatively, maybe just the YM2612. Are their states being saved along with the 68000?

Yes everything should be saved in the save state but maybe I've missed something.

Reesy posted on Jul 4 2006 at 12:59 AM said:
devestation posted on Jul 3 2006 at 02:47 PM said:

Sounds like a bug to me, I'll see if I can find anything. Could you possibly send the save state to my email address?

I have the same problem when playing Lemmings, both the Euro and US Rev 0 roms (as I noted previously on page 4 of this thread).
When I create a save state, the sound stops working. If I try to load these states back, it won't work either.

Upon further testing, I tried Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (US), and then sound would stop working (and gradually fade out) when a save state was made at certain points in the game, but not others.

I have sent a zip file containing some saves to your email address for testing.

Keep up the great work as always.

Back