Drmd V5 Beta 5 - Fixes Flickering Lines

R

Reesy

Once again Squidge has come to the rescue, I now flush the cache before switching the frame buffer. This removes the flickering lines seen on the left and right of the screen in beta 4.

Enjoy

http://reesy.gp32x.de/DrMDv5b5.zip

Reesy

Now the last problems in this emulator have been solved. _Awesome_ Megadrive emulation..

Amazing!

Thanks Reesy.

Edit: Does that also kill those flickering lines in the other emulators that use this hack? Like squidgesnes etc.

Edit: Changed the word perfect ;)

Oh don't start using words like perfect, you'll only start *them* off. This fix simply makes DrMD a little better. You are not allowed to use the word perfect until DrMD runs every single game ever released perfectly, which is probably never going to happen.

Yes it should fix the problems in squidgesnes...which I didn't realise had the same problems.

Awesome. No more black flickery lines and fast MD emu.

Nice that Chaos Engine now works too. Fantastic game. Scrolling is flickery though, looks like the double buffering is wrong or something. But I imagine its more complex than that?

Thanks,

Mark

Congrats on getting the black lines fixed though. DrMD, barring the problems with Cotton (still doesn't display right), is possibly the finest experience on the 2x emu-wise. Thanks :)

Idd, now you're clearing the cache after every write... has this affected speed at all? Obviously, it'll still be much better, but presumably if you're wiping everything before every write, that'll take a couple of cycles away from emulation. Not that it matters greatly, given it'd probably be the difference between 62fps and 58fps or something... just interested :)

Don't know if anybody asked for it alerady but will there be the rom-analyse be back? And does anybody also has this annoying bug in Test Drive 2 which makes the other cars invisible?
Besides this two minor bugs it's nearly perfect, congrats Reesy!! The Gp2x ppls will adore you for this release forever!! (And the GP32s even more when you bring it to their dying console... :)

QuasaR posted on Jul 5 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
And does anybody also has this annoying bug in Test Drive 2 which makes the other cars invisible?

Sounds like the same issue with Herzog Zwei's sprites not appearing?

And THANKS Reesy, DrMD is such an amazing emulator, your work makes many people happy (thanks to Squidge too for helping with the hack & new fix!)

Last edited by a moderator:
gaterooze posted on Jul 5 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
QuasaR posted on Jul 5 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
And does anybody also has this annoying bug in Test Drive 2 which makes the other cars invisible?

Sounds like the same issue with Herzog Zwei's sprites not appearing?

And THANKS Reesy, DrMD is such an amazing emulator, your work makes many people happy (thanks to Squidge too for helping with the hack & new fix!)
I have only tried beta 4 so far, but is this problem the same one that makes the packages in ToeJam and Earl not show up in Earl's inventory? In which case it is just a problem with all emulators, I have said it before and I will say it again, this is the most impressive MD emulator Bar-None, And I have tried a lot of them.

I googled Herzog Zwei and it seems that other emulator's have a problem with the game too, I don't know if anyone has tracked down the root cause, but I didn't look much farther.

Glad to hear the black/whatever color (I have seen blue and white bars on the Sonic "Island" Splash screens) is gone, truly a great emulator.

A tip of the hat to both Reesy and Squidge for bringing Genesis emulation to it's current state on the GP2X. Those flickering lines were very distracting... glad to see them gone. :)

Minor complaint - the menu system seems a little too fast right now. I noticed that after quitting DrMDx, opening SquidgeSNES, then quitting SquidgeSNES and opening DrMDx again, the menus were back to normal speed. Might be something worth looking into.

TyBO! posted on Jul 5 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
Minor complaint - the menu system seems a little too fast right now. I noticed that after quitting DrMDx, opening SquidgeSNES, then quitting SquidgeSNES and opening DrMDx again, the menus were back to normal speed. Might be something worth looking into.

From the readme:

"Ver 5 beta 4
- With the help of Pepone I have applied Squidges MMU hack to DrMD. This has increased performance.
- You may notice the menu is a little to fast since the change, I'll resolve this later."

Save states for Kid Chameleon don't work :( Time to change my sig ...

Reesy posted on Jul 5 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
Oh don't start using words like perfect, you'll only start *them* off. This fix simply makes DrMD a little better. You are not allowed to use the word perfect until DrMD runs every single game ever released perfectly, which is probably never going to happen.

Yes it should fix the problems in squidgesnes...which I didn't realise had the same problems.

Great thanks for this. Nice to not see the lines.

It may not be "perfect" but this emu is so good now that it is good enough to me (it has been great for awhile actually).

The Altered beast "sprite spaz" bug is still there just FYI.

Thanks again.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 5 2006 at 09:06 PM said:

Do you mean your old ones don't work, or that you simply can't save at all now?

naples39 posted on Jul 5 2006 at 10:01 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Jul 5 2006 at 09:06 PM said:

Do you mean your old ones don't work, or that you simply can't save at all now?

It doesn't recognize my old ones ... no biggie, and I don't want folks to think I'm an ingrate or anything ... I'm just super-cranky right now. :p

Back