Pocketsnes Version 2

Well I think the working transparencies are definitely an improvement, the only other emulator IIRC of being able to do this was NK's SNES emu!? and that one was significantly slower than PocketSNES. I love the fact that PocketSNES is using the same menu as DrMD!! :wub:

Things still needed are Fullscreen Scaling, 44.1 khz sound and more speed, the latter being the most difficult one I guess.

But nonetheless a fabulous release, it's nice to see Reesy doin' his gp2x stuff again!! :)

"SunSpire"

I love the fact that PocketSNES is using the same menu as DrMD!!
Me too as it is such an attractive, intuitive and familiar interface.

One thing I want to say is: Smooth Donkey Kong Country guys! B)

And one more thing: Maybe we should suggest this volume up+down idea (menu access) to GP2X Standards. It's so much easier and nicer to use than L+R+Start. The latter method can interfere with gameplay which is significant at times if savestates are involced and it's more fiddly being a triple button press.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you Sir Reesy.

Strange you write that select button and volume control does not work, but when I was playing Lemmings, pressing the Select button had the desired effect on the screens it works on, and I just tried the volume buttons, and lo and behold they work too (in any game).

Just thought you might like to know before you go altering any code.

This is really great! Such an amazing first month for the GP2X! The emu is running very nice...expecially since I can OC to 290. I don't really have to for most games though, unless they are high in mode 7 and transparencies (Axelay, Biometal, Super Turrican 2, Contra 3). I was wondering if a quick shortcut could be used to turn transparencies on and off like L+Select or something? Thanks for the update to snes emulation Reesy.

Cool thanks for the update. Too bad I can only overclock to 240 MHz :(

At least alot of games are good at that speed.

Wow... very nice indeed, though Terranigma's borked again (black-screens, as compared to working fine with last Notaz Squidgesnes release)

Not quite perfection (frameskip's still pretty darn high on 200mhz - Super Metroid runs playably but as a slideshow once on Zebes with transparencies enabled), but for those as can overclock, this release is wonderful. Thanks :)

Very cool. Looks like it will my SNES emu of choice. Btw, is there command line support for gmenu on this? I tried it once and it just loads the menu and not the individual game.

I also wonder if it's possible this may go dual core in the future. If it does, I'd be ready to say SNES emulation on Gp2x is 'complete.'

Cool...so..does it play Mario RPG? ;D

edit: Mario RPG does not work, i get a black screen :(
I have the same problems with my Secret of Mana rom too :(

But still great release :)

funny news !

i just bought myself a gizmondo this week in order to play to your pocketsnes emulator, Reesy !

congratulation for this release !

In Mario allstars + world, the menu is scrambled up, it runs good otherwise.

I guess this is directed at notaz since he was one of the first people to implement it. How feasible would it be to put the snes sound on the second core?

I think putting the sound on second core won't bring as much improvement as in Picodrive

What take the most processing power is SNES' graphic subsystems

But... what about putting THEM on the second core??

(note that I know anything about that, just read what you progrmamers says ;) )

I have noticed a few sound bugs. There are hung notes on some games where a tone will continue too long. It almost sounds like the bug in DRMD where some notes would hang when the timers/registers weren't updated often enough. I didn't notice that in Squidgesnes but I will have to check for sure. Most things are fine though.

Has anyone got Actraiser to work right? On mine the sound is borked and he game eventually locks up.

That was the first release haven't got home to try this one yet.

I noticed that Super Mario World does run smoother in Squidgesnes then Pocketsnes even with transparencies off. Optimising further will probably fix it though.

Anyway great job nice to have transparency support. Nice menu. I like how you can set parameters per game. This way you can shut off the transparencies for speed for games that don't use them.

Great emu.

Has anyone got Actraiser to work right? On mine the sound is borked and he game eventually locks up.

I remember SquidgeSNES also did this. You had to use the audio hack in order to get Actraiser to run correctly, and yes I also have the same problem as you. I'm sure this will get fixed. Near perfect snes emulation is almost there. Well...non special chip games anyways. One thing I noticed is that all the Dragon Quest games for this emu seem to have graphic glitches at the top. I'm wondering if this is because of the screen position? It seems like the bottom of the screen repeats up top and flickers. Oddly it just seems like these games only so far that I've noticed this.

Wish: could you make the file browser only display folders, .zip, and .smc files? It would make browsing roms a lot easier, not hitting .srm files every second file.

- Alex

Back