Poll: Do You Like Keybord Font.

Do you like Pandora's keyboard font?

• Yes! It's awesome!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't.

• I don't care what font it is!

• I think font "xyz" will be better. (pls post, im wery interested=D)

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
WizardStan said:
Also keep in mind that it's just the layout of what's printed on the keys. You should be able to remap them with minimal effort. And in the event that it is not easy to reassign the keys, I will make it my personal project to create some kind of interface to make it so.
People seem to forget that there's also the on screen keyboard too :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
I don't see how useful it is to have ä, ö and ü keys on a primarily gaming orientated device, unless you plan to chat and do homework on it. Did the zx spectrum have them too? :)
As a german, I can live with this layout of course. :D But I can understand, that it is a little bit unfair AND the keys should'nt be printed with to many characters. Less is more and I've voted for a more futuristic and clear font. And the placing of the special letters is also a little bit weird. Ü is set onto the O button and Ö onto the J button? Hmm... Ö together wirh O would make more sense. ;)

However. the best solution for all would be a layout without special letters printed. And then, the Pandora OS needs a GOOD Keyboard language slect option!!! (often forgotten here that this first has to be coded!)
So if you set the Pandora language to german, you will get the Ö while pressing FN+O or whatever the combination will be. With another language setting in the System, you will get another letter with FN+O, for example Ó or Ô or Õ or whatever your language needs. :)
I think nobody needs a printing for these letters if the keyboard language selection per Software works perfectly.

Thank you guys for supporting me so much.

I've put EvilDragon's design under careful scrutiny, and there are errors!. You can't seriously sell us Pandora with a keyboard layout that has errors, don't you? The ^ * ' | are missing, and ( ) are doubled on F,G and 6,7.

ed_design1.png

I have PMed ED if he agrees for a final OFFICIAL voting poll to pick the layout. No answer though, yet. It is also fine if we go with the result of last voting... it's up to him. Anyway I can't stand so bad layout and perhaps I'll make the poll anyway...

... But it would be really most productive if we cooperate with the dev team (instead of proving that ED is wrong), and make the poll official.

rmm21 said:
If they are that popular and necessary for others then lets be done with the discussion and this thread since the decision has been made for everyone. Choose a font and lets go home. :)

http://cosurgi.googlepages.com/cosurgi_final.png
seems a nice clean choice.

Thanks rmm21. In fact after much thinking I wanted to put my alternative layout into contest (it's my third picture in that voting thread), with the two top key layers swapped. So the 1...9 row is similar to usual keyboard. But In fact it's not so important matter.

EDIT: missing link.

1. i believe its incredibly foolish not give . and , there own keys, i dont particularly mind if theres special characters (although, i still find it stupid after the explanation)

2. never actually cared about the font, but after reading this topic i do and the one being used is fugly, many of the other options are much better. just watch the Q's he same the most unusual

3. not sure about select being ctrl, but it could always be changed with software remapping with minimal problems

btw glow in the dark awesome (but i think they were to come later on), so glow in the dark nice a bold otherwise, something moderate

I'm American, for starters. I don't mind having "international" letters on the keyboard, as long as they don't detract from it's overall usability. This means that I don't want them replacing much needed characters (like the pipe! how did that not get on there?). I know that we're not "supposed" to be discussing keyboard layouts, but I think that choosing a layout like the one cosurgi proposed and won the old keyboard layout poll would work much better, as it seems to have all of the essentials there and printed, and the additional "international" letters can be produced with some function of the AltGr and/or the Compose keys.

If I could change one thing it would be to switch places with "/" and ",". I mean, really, who uses "/" more often than "," ? :blink:

Vorporeal said:
I'm American, for starters. I don't mind having "international" letters on the keyboard, as long as they don't detract from it's overall usability. This means that I don't want them replacing much needed characters (like the pipe! how did that not get on there?). I know that we're not "supposed" to be discussing keyboard layouts, but I think that choosing a layout like the one cosurgi proposed and won the old keyboard layout poll would work much better, as it seems to have all of the essentials there and printed, and the additional "international" letters can be produced with some function of the AltGr and/or the Compose keys.
possible to order extra plastic keys with the appropriate keys for our needs on them and install them then map?

This may be a product of the rendering, but it appears that all the fonts shown in the renders are italicized. I think that it would look sharper if the keys were not italicized (regardless of the font choice).

Eolair said:
If I could change one thing it would be to switch places with "/" and ",". I mean, really, who uses "/" more often than "," ? :blink:
It's "gp32x.de/board" not "gp32x.de,board". So anyone who web browses frequently needs a "/" key. I'd like to see automatic remapping of some keys when the application focused changes, so in a word processor you would have , instead of /, and in a web browser, the other way round.

Vladimir said:
Eolair said:
It's "gp32x.de/board" not "gp32x.de,board". So anyone who web browses frequently needs a "/" key. I'd like to see automatic remapping of some keys when the application focused changes, so in a word processor you would have , instead of /, and in a web browser, the other way round.

Yes but, how often do you type in long addresses with "/"? Maybe I'm just lazy, but I rarely manually type more than the domain name.

Well, this is kind of off topic but this is one of the best keyboards I've used on a handheld:
lmkeys2na6.png

It's from one of these I used to have. Clean big letters, hard plastic and tactile response. Would've been perfect for the P.

+1 for http://cosurgi.googlepages.com/cosurgi_final.png. You can put "." and "," in place of Ctrl and Alt now that they're moved.

krooked said:
possible to order extra plastic keys with the appropriate keys for our needs on them and install them then map?
Unfortunately it won't be possible to change that. Of course, unless devs announce that you can order those extra keys.

It won't be even possible to take a marker or stickers and mark you keys with something else! That's because the paint will be below a transparent plastic cover. This will make the (possibly glow-in-the-dark) paint a lot more durable. This picture is from Craig's post:

examplekeys.jpg

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=687650

PS: I'm pestering ED about official poll & design a lot. I'm sure that he is already sick of me now, and still he didn't reply :ph34r:

Tripmonkey_uk said:
WizardStan said:
Also keep in mind that it's just the layout of what's printed on the keys. You should be able to remap them with minimal effort. And in the event that it is not easy to reassign the keys, I will make it my personal project to create some kind of interface to make it so.

All those points are as valid for Germany, Spain and Turkey as the rest of the world :blink:

By the way, I'm French and would cope happily with Compose :)

TiKub said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
WizardStan said:

All those points are as valid for Germany, Spain and Turkey as the rest of the world :blink:

That's why I suggested having the keyboard set up for programming rather than international characters.
There are a lot less differences between characters for the programming languages, than there are for languages from different parts of the world :)

cosurgi said:
PS: I'm pestering ED about official poll & design a lot. I'm sure that he is already sick of me now,
You think? :p It really is a waste of time worrying about the layout now. The debate was run into the ground long ago.

Remember, custom/blank keymats haven't been ruled out yet. Let's just let them get this thing out the door. :)

Gruso said:
cosurgi said:
PS: I'm pestering ED about official poll & design a lot. I'm sure that he is already sick of me now,
You think? :p It really is a waste of time worrying about the layout now. The debate was run into the ground long ago.
Well, yeah, of course. But the devs totally ignored the outcome of this.

I'm pestering him to reconsider the 6-month long well thought design process. In his "overnight" design there are errors that were eradicated in the first rounds of discussions about four months ago! Remember that at first there were about 20 different layouts submitted, and people were carefully considering them, perfecting them, until we reached consensus.

Gruso said:
Remember, custom/blank keymats haven't been ruled out yet. Let's just let them get this thing out the door. :)

Blank won't work, see my post above - the keys will be covered by transparent plastic coating. You cannot put a sticker on the key, you cannot draw with a marker - it's all below the plastic cover.

cosurgi said:
I already asked privately, but still didn't get a clear answer. Can I pay extra, by bank transfer, to get a different keyboard layout (let's ignore how expensive it might be)? Let's say that you would give people an option to choose one another layout, or maybe even from two another layouts. Like this one, and that one. After all those are the winning layouts after careful community's design process.
Did you get an answer on this ? I am interested as well, as my design is not been even considered so far (as I arrived a bit late in the game) so a new vote on your designs doesn't really interest me and will probably produce similar end results..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back