Pool Panic

timothee, I have a weird feeling that if you run the touch screen calibration in the firmware, that problem might go away.

or maybe not...in any case I doubt it's the filesystem. I'm pretty sure I have fw 4.0 as well, since I never updated mine.

"Not tainted" is a pretty good error message, as far as error messages go :D

this game is a real time hole, but i can't pass, i think its level 10 with the four barrels, i pot all the balls within the time limit and dont hit the barrels, but still fail... am i missing somthing?

rokdcasbah said:
timothee, I have a weird feeling that if you run the touch screen calibration in the firmware, that problem might go away.
Thanks Rokdcasbah, I did that but unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I had already calibrated my screen sometimes back anyway and I can play other games perfectly with the touch screen like Space Varments, Blix, or Square Sliding.

rokdcasbah said:
or maybe not...in any case I doubt it's the filesystem. I'm pretty sure I have fw 4.0 as well, since I never updated mine.
Yeah, seems like a stretch that it could be the filesystem, especially since the error message shows problems with the touch screen initialization. The reason I mentioned it is that I can see many files with different cases in the folders "GRAPHICS" and "SOUNDS", and I knew that moving to ext2, file name cases could become a problem.

Any other suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tag5 said:
There seems that there is a bug on level 11 as when the game starts 3 balls are automatically potted each time I retry the level. Once the rest of the balls are potted the game does not end and the timer continues to tick down. Is it that the game does not register the 3 balls being potted at the start of the level thus not ending? :unsure:
Yup. Stupid bug. Fixed.

timothee said:
Yeah, seems like a stretch that it could be the filesystem, especially since the error message shows problems with the touch screen initialization. The reason I mentioned it is that I can see many files with different cases in the folders "GRAPHICS" and "SOUNDS", and I knew that moving to ext2, file name cases could become a problem.

Any other suggestion?
Ive renamed all the files lowercase. Does that help?

See first post for the update.

*edit* And if you want to keep your progress save the file 'hiscore.dat' from the root of the Pool Panic folder on your SD card to your desktop or somewhere, d.load the fixed version, then copy across the hiscore.dat to the pool panic folder on your card from your desktop.

timothee said:
I knew that moving to ext2, file name cases could become a problem.
I think things are case-sensitive in linux regardless of what filesystem you're on. SDL is AFAIK going to be using calls to the OS to get any particular file, so case will matter even if your SD card is mounted as FAT.

Also I think that Windows will show a different case than what's actually being stored...just a guess but maybe when files are 8.3 or created in an older program, it will fail to show it as all-caps. It's also possible for a dev to create files in linux that Windows will choke on because of invalid characters.

But I had forgotten about the case thing and maybe that is in fact what the problem is. Jim said he made everything lowercase so that would rule that out at least. Or maybe someone else who uses ext on their SD can see if they get the same error?

mju said:
this game is a real time hole, but i can't pass, i think its level 10 with the four barrels, i pot all the balls within the time limit and dont hit the barrels, but still fail... am i missing somthing?
don't feel bad, I can't pass level 3 :(

rokdcasbah said:
I think things are case-sensitive in linux regardless of what filesystem you're on.
Hmm, I don't think so, the case insensitivity is part of the file system specs, so the linux drivers do what they have to do to ignore case on vfat volumes. Below is a quick test from my gentoo box:

CODE

# /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/tmp type vfat (rw)
ws-tim tmp # echo "test" > TeSt.txt
ws-tim tmp # cat TeSt.txt
test
ws-tim tmp # cat test.txt
test

rokdcasbah said:
But I had forgotten about the case thing and maybe that is in fact what the problem is. Jim said he made everything lowercase so that would rule that out at least. Or maybe someone else who uses ext on their SD can see if they get the same error?
Yup, I saw Jim's post (Thanks Jim!). However the archive files I just re-downloaded still contains a mix set of uppercase and lower case files. Perhaps, the archive needs some time to update, I will download it again tonight from home.

And in any case, many thanks for your help :)

Success!

It really was a problem with the file names after all. I redownloaded the archive tonight but still plenty of files were in full caps, and indeed they looked like nasty 8.3 DOS names. Could this have been a problem with the zipping? Jim, what program did you use to zip the all thing?

Anyway, thanks to "strings -n 8 PoolPanic.gpe", I could see all the paths used in the code with their exact case, and so I renamed all the relevant files accordingly by hand. Now it runs :D

Orkie said:
If you have EXT2 on your SD then both case and permissions become an issue.
Indeed. Permissions are easy to manage, especially since the gp2x runs everything as root. The thing is to remember to turn on the executable flag on the relevant files, when installing a new package. Case is a trickier issue since one needs to know with what case the files are being used :/

Anyway, thanks for your help rokdcasbah, Jim, and Orkie, now I can play some pool on my gp2x :)

Good work :)

Just checked the file archive and it is the old file still on there. So I updated it again and it said I would receive an email confirming the update.

I'll post back here if/when I get the email.

Until then you can get the fixed version HERE

timothee said:
Hmm, I don't think so, the case insensitivity is part of the file system specs, so the linux drivers do what they have to do to ignore case on vfat volumes. Below is a quick test from my gentoo box:
CODE

# /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/tmp type vfat (rw)
ws-tim tmp # echo "test" > TeSt.txt
ws-tim tmp # cat TeSt.txt
test
ws-tim tmp # cat test.txt
test

Damn, well I learned something new. In an embarrassing sort of way. I've actually only used linux with ext3 volumes, except when mounting existing ntfs volumes, and then I'd probably be using a gui. My gp2x's sd card is formatted as fat, but for whatever reason I thought case mattered. Cargo cult computing, I guess.

I've now completed level 11!

Thanks Unfathomable Depths for fixing the bug. Struggling to finish level 12 in the time given. Got to improve and speed up my shots to pot them all in 99 seconds. The least amount of balls left was 3 so far...

Niceone Tag :) Level 11 is a bitch :p

It is possible to do level 12 in under 80 'seconds' (a tick of the clock is about a second and a half fact fans :lol: )

Anyone any idea how I update the archive? I've edited the first post to point to some free file host I found - I get 5GB a month, which should be easily enough, but it would be nice for the archive to have the finished version.

Thanks to everyone who d.loaded it and had a go :)

Unfathomable Depths said:
Anyone any idea how I update the archive? I've edited the first post to point to some free file host I found - I get 5GB a month, which should be easily enough, but it would be nice for the archive to have the finished version.
Log in and browse all the way to your file's category; click Update File from the bottom panel, and select your specific game from the dropdown menu.

Thanks again for making this game, I'm having a lot of fun playing it. My shots are starting to get more confident now, at the beginning I tapped each ball little by little until they reached the hole :D

That exactly what I did the last two times Alex.

Anychance anyone could test this for me? It looks like it worked but it looked like it worked the last two times - you will know it is the correct version if when you un-zip the files you get two folders called 'sounds' and 'graphics' as opposed to 'SOUNDS' and 'GRAPHICS'

CODE
mrjones:pool Panic john$ ls -ARpm
graphics/, hiscore.dat, poolpanic.gpe, sounds/

./graphics:
barrel.png, barrelup.png, bigred.png, blackball.png, box.png, cueball2.png,
cursor.png, explosion.png, font.png, foul.png, magicpocket.png,
play_mole_panic.gif, pocket_anim_black.png, pocket_anim_cue.png,
pocket_anim_tl.png, poolpanic_logo.png, poolpanic_logo_mask.png,
poolpanic_title1.png, poolpanic_title2.png, poolpanic_title3.png,
poolpanic_title4.png, poolpanic_title5.png, poolpanic_title5_loading.png,
pooltable_sketch.jpg, powerbar.png, redball.png, scores.png, scores2.png,
selector.png, star_graphic.png, table.png, table1_noballs.png, thumbs.db,
timebonus.png

./sounds:
balltoball.wav, balltopocket.wav, balltorail.wav, bonus.wav, explosion.wav,
no.wav, potcue.wav, snookerloopy.ogg, star.wav

I think that's what you want. Folder names are dated Sept. 10.

Hey Jim, I just downloaded the fixed archive and I noticed one last problem with the file names: the file "graphics/pocket_anim_tl.png" is referenced in the code as "graphics/pocket_anim_TL.png", so it doesn't match the case of the file in the archive.

# strings -n 8 poolpanic.gpe
[snip non-relevant strings]
hiscore.dat
graphics/cueball2.png
graphics/redball.png
graphics/blackball.png
graphics/barrel.png
graphics/barrelup.png
graphics/selector.png
graphics/pocket_anim_TL.png
graphics/pocket_anim_cue.png
graphics/pocket_anim_black.png
graphics/magicpocket.png
graphics/star_graphic.png
graphics/explosion.png
graphics/timebonus.png
graphics/foul.png
graphics/cursor.png
graphics/powerbar.png
graphics/table.png
graphics/poolpanic_title5.png
graphics/poolpanic_logo_mask.png
graphics/box.png
graphics/scores.png
graphics/font.png
sounds/snookerloopy.ogg
sounds/balltoball.wav
sounds/balltorail.wav
sounds/balltopocket.wav
sounds/star.wav
sounds/explosion.wav
sounds/bonus.wav
sounds/no.wav
sounds/potcue.wav

Sorry for being a pain :p

How comes the whole world and their mothers can play what seems to be an awesome game and I can't get it to run?

I've extracted the whole "pool panic" folder to my sd card, to the /game folder, just like I've done with Jim's other games. When I try to start it, it simply quits back to the menu.

Further information: GP2X F200{B}, originally came with 4.0.0 so it's the first model. Firmware 4.0.0, although I've tried it at 4.1.1 with the same lack of success. SD card is an 8Gb micro-SD used in an adapter. Everything else I've tried so far runs, except Pool Panic.

Oh and btw. I'm using the fixed archive.

Same here, the new version fails to load, quits back to the gui.

f100 mk2 - fw ver 2.0.0

Old (lev 11 bug) version still works.

Back