Pool Panic

I got the updated version to work by renaming "pocket_anim_tl.png" to "pocket_anim_TL.png" (as mentioned by timothee).

Thanks again for this game. :)

EDIT: It was mentioned before, but the game freezes when the touchscreen is touched, and it eventually crashes back to the gp2xmenu if held too long. :(

The strange thing is that many people here have reported the fixed version as working. Maybe a file is missing in the fixed archive and it works when you copy the new archive over the old one without erasing the old files first. But I don't have the old archive, so I can't test it.

[edit] Got beaten by a minute by Manjuu, LOL. I'm gonna try it, thanks for the suggestion. A little dumb of me not to think of it myself, because I've read Timothee's post as well B)
[edit2] Maybe I'll hexedit the main file to make it look for the lowercase file, to keep everything in lowercase like it was ment by UD when he updated the archive.

I keep getting booted back to main menu on GP2X. I tried running from root and folder

Running F100 with firmware 4.10

Anyone else have issues with F100 on 4.1FW?

Jesus. Touchscreen issues are probably down to me dynamically linking. Case issues are due to losing my harddrive halfway through and using a data recovery program to get the files back. Fuckin knew I should have renamed all the files - but it ran on XP and my GP2X (2.1 mk2) so I didn't bother.

Back from the game (Celtic won 4-2 but it was like watching John Barnes' Celtic as we had an immaculate first half then almost threw the game away)

Im really starting to hate this game. It was supposed to be a simple proof of concept for my first Pandora project and its turned into a pain in the arse :lol:

I'll sort this out tomorrow. It's like work now :eek:

Hexedited the main file to look for pocket_anim_tl.png instead of pocket_anim_TL.png and now the game starts! I will give it a "shot" tomorrow.

And of course, it's easier to rename the file to pocket_anim_TL.png instead of hexediting the main file, but I wanted to keep all files lowercase as it was intended.

Here's an icon for the game:
poolpanicky4.png

Just to help Jim a little, I've uploaded the fixed archive with the fixed binary and Manjuu's icon.

Just download it from here, extract it to your sd card and run. No further changes needed. However, you might want to copy your existing highscores file to your PC first if you played the game before. And the bugs that are in the game still are there, I just fixed the upper/lowercase problem that made Pool Panic to quit to the GUI.

Manjuu said:
Here's an icon for the game:
poolpanicky4.png
Brilliant! Cheers Manjuu :)

Squirrel61 said:
Just to help Jim a little, I've uploaded the fixed archive with the fixed binary and Manjuu's icon.

Just download it from here, extract it to your sd card and run. No further changes needed. However, you might want to copy your existing highscores file to your PC first if you played the game before. And the bugs that are in the game still are there, I just fixed the upper/lowercase problem that made Pool Panic to quit to the GUI.

Thank you very much Squirrel B) Niceone mate :)

Right. I think this is it now. Im still dynamically linking so firmware 4.x will be dodgy - dont touch the screen!

I'll upload it to a free file host for the moment. If anyone could test this for me (again, works fine on my mk2 f100 2.1 firmware) I would be very grateful :)

Get it HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfathomable Depths said:
[...]

I'll upload it to a free file host for the moment. If anyone could test this for me (again, works fine on my mk2 f100 2.1 firmware) I would be very grateful :)

Get it HERE

Works on my "old" F-200 with FW 4.1.1. :D

I know this is a bad timing as you just uploaded an update, but I just noticed something though... it seems that the power gauge doesn't reset after a stage. If you're charging the power and the time runs out or you (pause and) quit to the main menu, the power accumulated from that charge would set-off at the start of a new game. It is also tricky to press Start+Select to quit. :unsure:

Manjuu said:
I know this is a bad timing as you just uploaded an update, but I just noticed something though... it seems that the power gauge doesn't reset after a stage. If you're charging the power and the time runs out or you (pause and) quit to the main menu, the power accumulated from that charge would set-off at the start of a new game. It is also tricky to press Start+Select to quit. :unsure:
Cheers Manjuu :) Fixed the powerbar bug. I'll fix start+select soon-ish :( The problem is the way Ive written the pause function. I'll change pause to A or something.

Get it HERE

Thanks Jim!

Just FYI, I never had the touchscreen bug. I can touch the screen anytime anywhere I want with all versions since the lowercase-fixed one and my F200 doesn't freeze or go weird. I'm on firmware 4.0.0 and I don't have the homebrew touchscreen hack installed. Maybe the bug only occurs when the hack is installed?

And pressing start+select also causes no problems to me, I get immediate response and no weird things.

Tried the latest. Filenames seem fine, I am not getting any weirdness with the force meter (it empties when the level fails).

Jim said he knows how to fix it, but I wanted to say that I do get the start+select thing. It seems like, if you hit them exactly at the same time, it works, but if they are staggered (but held), they don't. And I still get the slowdown if I'm touching the screen. FW 4.0, don't believe I installed the touchscreen hack.

Luckily, neither thing stops the game from being lots of fun. The start + select thing is easy to deal with now that I know it's a bug (before I just thought you couldn't exit :D )

Tried the new one; no more power gauge bug. :D

Squirrel61 is right. The touchscreen bug seems to be gone if I don't load notaz's touchscreen fix. It doesn't freeze or slowdown the game at all.

I noticed another thing... a minor cosmetic bug. The foul indicator will reappear at a start of a new game if the previous game ended with the foul indicator still present. :p

EDIT: Also, the Start+Select issue is very minor. I got used to how to properly press them to quit. :p

I noticed the behaviour that is considered the "touchscreen bug" on other programs too, when the touchscreen homebrew hack is installed in 4.0.0. Sometimes I even don't have to touch the screen to get slowdowns in games. That's why I'm saying sometimes in other replies that it is incompatible with 4.0.0. The slowdown doesn't occur when installing the hack in 4.1.1.

I'm used to putting my thumb on start+select and press them both at once. Maybe that's why I never encountered the bug.

Squirrel61 said:
I noticed the behaviour that is considered the "touchscreen bug" on other programs too, when the touchscreen homebrew hack is installed in 4.0.0. Sometimes I even don't have to touch the screen to get slowdowns in games. That's why I'm saying sometimes in other replies that it is incompatible with 4.0.0. The slowdown doesn't occur when installing the hack in 4.1.1.

I'm used to putting my thumb on start+select and press them both at once. Maybe that's why I never encountered the bug.
Why install the touchscreen hack on FW 4.0.0? :huh:

Homebrew touchscreen apps should work fine without it.

Manjuu said:
Why install the touchscreen hack on FW 4.0.0? :huh:

Homebrew touchscreen apps should work fine without it.

Yeah, I know. When I first got my F200, I didn't know how the hack worked, I expected it to add touchscreen support to every game but now I understand it doesn't work that way.

Regarding the touchscreen slowdown when pressed: that has largely been fixed in the latest SDL 1.2.9 and 1.2.13.. Also the crash possibly regarding the reading of a touchscreen calibration file is also fixed (not sure if that was actually happening in this case, however).

Aaaanyways, congratulations, this game is just plain awesome, it is in fact probably one of my top 3 favorite GP2X homebrew games. Very challenging and fun :)

Back