Zombiepox2x V1.0

namco

Website
www.stupendous-stuff.com
I can now proudly announce that I've ported Zombiepox!!

It's not a full port though as I've had to remove the music as I still couldn't get the dumb libs fully ported. There are still some other issues with it that I will mention below.

zombiepox2x

The latest file can be downloaded from here, whilst the zombiepox file is waiting to be approved on the gp2x file archive.

Readme file text:

Zombiepox2X
-----------

Installation instructions.
--------------------------

Unzip archive and put it in the root of the SD card.
You MUST run the zpox_launcher.gpe otherwise the game won't work.

Controls
--------
MENU:
L + R - Quits the app.
Up + Down - Navigates the menu
B - Select

GAME:
Joystick - Moves player
X - Throws a brain
Y (when held down) - Shows the map (Displayed at the top left hand corner)
A - Quits game to main menu

Known Problems
--------------
- When moving the joystick, in the menu, the cursor moves too fast
- After selecting the options menu it is next to impossible to get back to the main screen
- The Help and Scores menu doesn't display properly after pressing the select button
- The A button (ingame) is not supposed to quit to the menu, it is supposed to pause.

If anyone else spots something that I've missed please let me know.

Thanks.

Oh and many apologies for how long this took (on and off).

But I now feel proud of myself for having done it! :)

Enjoy.

[edit]:
New on the zip file is the zpox_launcher source (within the _src file). If anyone encounters problems with the blank screen the you can just rerun the makefile and copy over the old file found in the main folder.

Just make sure that you edit the makefile to point your correct arm-linux-g++/arm-open2x-linux-g++ compiler.

Unluckly, it doesn't work on my :gp2x :( ( MK2, FW 2.1.1)
I've put the folder in the root of SD and I've launched "zpox_launcher.gpe", but I get only black screen.
I think the cause is "the Allegro problem" :unsure:

Unluckly, it doesn't work on my ( MK2, FW 2.1.1)
I've put the folder in the root of SD and I've launched "zpox_launcher.gpe", but I get only black screen.
I think the cause is "the Allegro problem"

Try launching the zpox.gpe instead and see what that does.

If it still doesn't want to load could you telnet into it and see what it says?

Does anyone else have a blank screen problem with their MK2 systems??

[edit]:
If by the "allegro problem" you mean the blitting thing then that's what the launcher does, provides the false blit.

If not what else was the problem?

I got a black screen on my GP2X-F100(\B) with firmware 2.1.0.

As mentioned above by Mr 2X, it's likely the Allegro problem.

eeerr, no. I've just redownloaded the game from the site and noticed that the page been updated...but not by me.

Zombiepox2X worked before and it won't work now!! :angry:

Let me just reupload it for you guys, ok? :)

[edit]:
I've just had a look at the zip file and it seems that the data file has been removed, which is why the game won't work.

Ok, the file has been uploaded.

Let me know of any more problems, ok?

Thanks again. :)

I've just checked the original zip file and it was my dumbness all along!

*head desk*

Sorry my bad!

I was up till 3am finishing this and forgot that the data file was missing.

Brain fart moment! - lemme reupload

For those that already have it what you need to do is to create in the zombiepox2x folder another folder called data and place the:

gfx.dat
sfx.dat
zombiepox.dat

files from the _src folder into the data folder.

It should then work.

Again many apologies.

CODE
[root@gp2x zombiepox2X]$killall gp2xmenu
[root@gp2x zombiepox2X]$./zpox_launcher.gpe
SDL_GP2X: CreateDevice
SDL_GP2X: VideoInit
SDL_GP2X: Physical screen = 320x240 (ilace = 0)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0xf4a48 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
SDL_GP2X: ListModes
SDL_GP2X: Setting video mode 320x240 16 bpp, flags=1
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: InitHWSurfaces 0x40025800, 5085184
SDL_GP2X: Screen bucket 0xf3fec
SDL_GP2X: First free bucket 0xf4a48 (size = 5085184)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0xf4a70 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager adding new free bucket of 5084928 bytes @ 0xf4a88
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes at 0x40025800
SDL_GP2X: Freeing cursor 0xf4a70
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 256 bytes @ 0x40025800 from bucket 0xf4a48
SDL_GP2X: merging with next bucket (0xf4a88) making 5085184 bytes
SDL_GP2X: VideoQuit
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: Freeing bucket 0xf4a48 (size 5085184)
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurface 0xf4108
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager freeing 153600 bytes @ 0x40000000 from bucket 0xf3fec
SDL_GP2X: DeleteDevice
[root@gp2x zombiepox2X]$

As you can see from above, zpox_launcher.gpe exited without crashing.

CODE
[root@gp2x zombiepox2X]$killall gp2xmenu
[root@gp2x zombiepox2X]$./zpox.gpe
Shutting down Allegro due to signal #2

zpox.gpe crashed and I had to press CTRL+C to shut it down.

[EDIT] Ok, I've just seen the above message about the data folder :) I'll give it a go now.

I've reuploaded this file three times now and I've noticed what the original problem was all along.

I *did* upload the file fully but everytime I upload the zip file (with the data folder included) the data file somehow gets deleted from the archive.

I know this as after I download from the site after uploading the zombiepox file the file I get is without the data file.

Does anyone who uploads to the gp2x File Archive website know why this is?

I created the data folder and moved the three files into it from _src and it doesn't make any difference. I get the same errors as I posted above.

Mr 2X said:
I confirm in the lastest version, the launcher works without problems.
Me too :)

The version number according to log.txt and main.cpp in the first port was 1.0. I downloaded the latest release and log.txt and main.cpp still say 1.0. I decided to hunt down the original source code and found it at http://www.allegro.cc/depot/Zombiepox and the latest release is 1.1 which I believe this port is based on because the author Johan Peitz added music in 1.1.

In the Linux world (at least) one convention for port versioning is to append the port version to the original like so: 1.1-1 and then you include it in the zip filename: zombiepox2X_1.1-1.zip so your next release will be 1.1-2 and so on. At the moment it looks like the port is based off of Zombiepox v1.0 and both of your releases are almost indistinguishable. Additionally create a ChangeLog so that users know what's been added/improved.

The original source has some files in it that you haven't included: ld48.ico which would be nice converted to zpox.png, and the original readme.txt which is always nice to include when porting other people's work. A common convention is to name yours readme_gp2x.txt.

zpox.png ->
zpox.png

If you want to stop users executing zpox.gpe instead of zpox_launcher.gpe then rename zpox_launcher.gpe to zpox.gpe and zpox.gpe to zpox (you don't need an extension under Linux, it's just for gp2xmenu).

Anyway I hope you (namco) continue with it and finish it off because it's a nice little game for a quick blast. I played it up to the point of getting a highscore which required my name but there was no way of entering anything B)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
The version number according to log.txt and main.cpp in the first port was 1.0. I downloaded the latest release and log.txt and main.cpp still say 1.0. I decided to hunt down the original source code and found it at http://www.allegro.cc/depot/Zombiepox and the latest release is 1.1 which I believe this port is based on because the author Johan Peitz added music in 1.1.

It is, I just had to remove the music as I couldn't fully port it.

In the Linux world (at least) one convention for port versioning is to append the port version to the original like so: 1.1-1 and then you include it in the zip filename: zombiepox2X_1.1-1.zip so your next release will be 1.1-2 and so on. At the moment it looks like the port is based off of Zombiepox v1.0 and both of your releases are almost indistinguishable. Additionally create a ChangeLog so that users know what's been added/improved.

I'll remember that for next time, thanks. :)

I played it up to the point of getting a highscore which required my name but there was no way of entering anything

Woops! Forgot about that!!

Thanks for your comments, I'll update the necessary in the next version.

Back