Port Request: Open Morrowind

He Who Walks Between

Still Fresh
Somewhat self-explanatory by the title, but what I'm asking for is a port of Morrowind to the Pandora. Probably a harder job then I'm thinking, but I'm hopeful someone will figure this out.

Dependencies being:

Graphics: OGRE

Physics: Bullet

Sound: OpenAL and Audiere

GUI: MyGUI

Input: OIS

http://openmw.org

I'm not sure there's a point until it become playable... but it's definately something to keep an eye on, and I'm sure some dev are already following this...

Well your right there really isn't a point until all the bugs are worked out and features implemented. But really I just want to find out, if it will run on the pandora.

I'm not sure this will be playable - back in the day I had a 1.6GHz PC with a reasonable GFX card for the time (Geforce FX5200) it had trouble running it at anything other than default to low quality graphics. The Pandora being less capable even than that PC will almost certainly struggle.

Add to that the issues you usually get with OSS re-implementations of games - many libraries used to implement functionality that may not be quite as optimal as you'd hope, rather than a custom-designed engine built by a software house with huge resources... All of which will affect performance negatively.

Of course, Bethesda are famous for poor coding, with enormous lists of bugs and massive inefficiencies that depend on high-powered hardware to compensate for means that an OSS solution to running the MW data files may well be quite a good solution.

I'd dearly love to run OpenMW on the Panda, but I'm not hopeful that it will be playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrowind took about 15 minutes to load everything on the Xbox 1.. Unless these OpenMW guys pull some tricks then I don't think it'll run either.

ZXdunny, the project wholly changed from theses times, I have no idea how it will run, but it was changed from being coded in D or something like that, the 3d engine changed, everything changed, and as you said bethesda did a strange work with morrowind...

I suspect it won't run great but it's something I have no real idea...

edit: it's still something i'dd like to see when it'll be playable...

I'm sure something could be worked out to make MW run on Pandora. Lowering the FOV/AI ranges considerably increases performance for me, so if they just put a stricter limit, it might work. Now, I know it's not that simple to fix everything, but it could still help.

Personally, I'd rather see a MW-like game on Pandora rather than MW itself. I've played MW to death, and I'd love a new RPG with a similar feel to MW.

Would utilizing the DSP stuff bsp discovered help Open MW playable on Pandora?
most likely not. if the game requires a beefy 3D rasterizer, the DSP won't help (SW renderers on the DSP can be fast, but not so fast they can keep up with an NVidia FX5200)

p.s.: I had a passively cooled FX5200 once. good card. just refreshed my memory on the specs: 6.8 GBytes/sec RAM bandwidth, 1 billion texels/sec texture fillrate, 1 billion shader ops/sec. And that was even considered "slow" (by gamers) back then ;)

Back