Potential Gp32

DelTa_ViRuS

Still Fresh
Hi Guys,
Yes I know that the answers are riddled amongst this vast forum, but I am short on time (as usual; travel a lot!) I was going to get a GP2x but decided to hold off until the bugs are worked out. But I was thinking of getting a GP32. I have a few questions though:

1) Are there any SNES emu's that run full speed w/ sound? (I just want Super Metroid on the go)

2)What format(s) of video files can it play and how is the quality...

Thanks for any responses!

Take er' easy

The thing is with the current SNES emu and metroid :

It is basicle full speed but theres a couple of problems
There aint enoguh buttons. you need atlkeast 1 more button to have enough funtions to play the game easily

Theres a transparency problem on crateria, where your being attacked by those space pirates theres a pink mist in the way. It can be avoided with the transparency hack, but it gets annoying toggling every time

Ive never tried the video

I appreciate the response, I guess I will have to wait on the GP2x to get the functionality I want. The PSP is pretty good, but I will be damned if I pay $30 for a UMD movie :blink:

1) Nope. Close to, but not really.

2) Divx, Xvid, etc. The quality is far from what the GP2X or Zodiac would give you, but is accptable.

I'm sorry, but these two areas aren't the best ones if you want to get a GP32. If you look around in the forums you are likely to find other nice uses for it, though. :)

//Talyz Prower

By the way, the PSP offers you the same funktion.
It lets you play converted movies from your memory stick. (if its the right ver.)
So you don't have to pay for the UMD movies.

Yeah I know I can convert the movies, but it's supposed to be slow and picky at best. Besides I can't play newer games that upgrade the firmware else I may lose that functionality! It's really too bad sony has to be such as .....

I guess I will have to wait for the new firmware release for the GP2x and see if it addresses most of my concerns with the unit.... such a shame. I have been waiting for that unit for so long.

Movies look very poor, my mobile phone plays DiVX and XViD better.

Cartoons are very watchable though, simpsons on the bus, mysterious cities of gold on the train !!! you cant go wrong.

If I was you I would get the 2X, leave the 32 alone as you will be disapointed.

At present I think the GP32 has still more to offer than the GP2X. More working games and better developed emulators, less hardware and firmware bugs and longer battery life plus lower price. If you need something that works out of the box with lots of different software right now get the GP32.

Watching movies is a great feature. It`s obviously far from DVD quality due to the limited space a SMC offers, but once you get a clue about the right way to encode it`s absolutely ok and I use it a lot.

SNES emu on the GP32 is not perfect (yet), but some games work really fine with sound at 166 MHz.

There are no doubts that the GP2X will develop and become the better machine in a while, but right now I stick to my GP32 and would buy it again.

I love my GP32FLU. Durring the last 2 years or so, I had a ton of use out of it, especially with this last hurricane season cutting out power to my house for over 2 weeks. When the news of the 2X came out, I was skeptical but I ordered it anyways. Then, after the buggy reports of the new units were released, I was ready to cancel my order and stick with the 32. Im glad I did not cancel.

I couldnt be happier with my 2X and this is only the begining. I have had no problems with my unit and I am addicted to the movie viewer and DRmd. Movies are easy to encode and I have had zero compatibility issues. Fitting everything on my 2 gig SD card is handy as I was getting tired of swapping SMCs every minute. I'ld go wtih the GP2X for now.

I would get a psp if you were you; Super Metroid is full speed with sound. In fact, most SNES games are full speed with sound. Actually, close to all of the emulators are Fullspeed with sound barring PS1. There are two things I HATE about PSP. The DPad is awful. It is not responsive at all, and it is too stiff. And you have to use Memory sticks unless you buy some sort of bulky converter. The Memory Sticks are expensive and have low capacity. I wish it used CF or SD, but I can see why Sony wants you to use their flash media. There is a third thing I dislike about PSP, but is more a thing I dislike in general about the current crop of handhelds. Is it just me or do backlit screens suck? They look great inside, when you are trying the devices in the store, but the second you want to take it outside to play, you cannot see a damn thing. Why god?! I buy a handheld to play outside, and now I cannot see anything! No!!!

The quality of movies on the GP32 is actually very good, but it is a far reach between it and, say, the GP2X or PSP.

Just encoded Donnie Darko, all of it on one card. Thank god for Realmagic codec :wub:

Back