Power Cable For Usa?

I remember when I visited India I needed not only a plug converter, but a rather bulky converter thing as well. India's power plugs are the same as the UK's (or at least similar enough that I didn't need to use a plug converter to get it to fit into the wall socket). Since I needed that converter box there, am I going to need something like that here for the USA?

I wonder if Radioshack carries things that convert from Europlugs to USA outlets.

CronoTriggerfan said:
That's a very good question...
It is a good question. I'm fairly certain I've seen it stated that localized plugs would be available, but it would be nice to have that confirmed.

Remember, of course, you have the option of charging from USB as well, but that's likely to be slower...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the converters for Euro to USA jacks are readily available and they're not that expensive, but one would be nice. I've got a wall USB charger with an A-plug, so I'll just use that if all else fails.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well the converters for Euro to USA jacks are readily available and they're not that expensive
True, but they are quite heavy to carry around (voltage needs to be converted too, it's not just the plugs).

The best scenario would be if which adapter you received depended on which country you ordered from.

So the voltage is that different in the UK? I thought the prongs were different but the voltage was the same/slightly off. I lived in Brazil for two years and they had the round prongs but the voltage was close to the US, so if they didn't have the either-or wall socket, kind two round holes on the outside and slots attached to them, then a simple round-prongs-to-slots adapter was all that was needed.

This will really suck if the cable won't work. How about a 2 usb to 1 usb cable, this would be able to charge twice as fast in theory wouldn't it? I have an external HD that does this with usb 1.1 so it gets enough power, for usb2.0 it doesn't need it though.

for a bunch of geeks nobody understood my world adaptable power supply. 100-240V, no bulk other than local country adapter plug over base unit plug.

I' gonna go make me a quesidilla

Link

Here's a wikipedia article which has some maps showing the different plugs and voltages around the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_systems

Basically, North America & Japan have plug types A/B and ~120V standard, while most of the rest of the world has plug types C/E/F and ~220V standard. The UK and some other island nations have this 3-pin type G plug at 220V.

It's quite a mosaic.

Anyway, I just hope that the standard one isn't the British-style plug. :ph34r:

P.S. Mjlink, your link doesn't work.

I don't know what they'll do, but I would expect them to use a power supply similar to the PSP:
A universal-input (110~240V, 50~60Hz) brick with a small cable to the Pandora, and a removable IEC (probably C7) power cable to plug into the wall.
That way, even if they only supply a UK cable (unlikely) it's just a $2 part you probably already have.

settingup_psp_image2.png

In fact, the Pandora is supposedly compatible with the PSP charger, so if you've already got one you're set anyway.

I wasn't trying to hyperlink anything.

I used world adaptable compared to universal.
Not sure if Martians are down with AC/DC.

Universal power supply: 100-240V 50-60Hz
The plug at the end varies from region to region. Anywhere across the globe you should be able to plug it in if you have the proper fitting plug.

And you need juice.

I'm here all day.

Peace

Link

Can't you charge over USB anyway with the Pandora? I thought I remembered reading that, though I could be making it up.

Most modern consumer electronics already accept 100v-220v out of the box, and just need a different style plug for whatever country you're in. I found this out when my girlfriend's sister was going to Japan, and we got all worried about cell phone chargers, etc, but then found out they use the same plug style (minus the ground) and all her devices already supported the different voltage.

I'm hoping the pandora would be the same in this regard.

WhereMyArm said:
Most modern consumer electronics already accept 100v-220v out of the box, and just need a different style plug for whatever country you're in. I found this out when my girlfriend's sister was going to Japan, and we got all worried about cell phone chargers, etc, but then found out they use the same plug style (minus the ground) and all her devices already supported the different voltage.

I'm hoping the pandora would be the same in this regard.
Doesn't Japan have the same power system as the US?

EDIT: I just realized you may not be from the US, and judging by your post, probably a country in europe using 220v

PSyMastR said:
Doesn't Japan have the same power system as the US?

EDIT: I just realized you may not be from the US, and judging by your post, probably a country in europe using 220v
US actually, and it's slightly different there. Like the guy above me said, it's 100v, not 110v. I've read that some devices like hairdryers and fans will just operate a little slower, but it can be damaging to devices that aren't 100-220v.

EDIT: Oh yeah that's the other thing, half of Japan is 50hz and half is 60hz, so that's a little screwy, too. But again, if it says 100-220v on the power adapter/unit somewhere, it usually also says 50-60hz.

when i saw this thread it made me wonder how closed in on itself america is...i thought that usb plugs elsewhere might be different...

...i was scared for a second...

...sorry that was kinda random...

Bump for power adapter.

Can we get exact details on the power adapter/cable?

I am going to Cuba in December, and I want to have the time to order an adapter if need be.

Can we have exact details of what we will get? 110V American plug / 220V European plug / sad smilie face UK plug...

Back