Power Cable For Usa?

cbp said:
Can we have exact details of what we will get? 110V American plug / 220V European plug / sad smilie face UK plug...
Not to muddy things up, but in the US it's 115v, it hasn't been 110v in quite a while now, we also use 230v for appliances.

That being said, as was previously stated the status quo is to include power bricks which are auto-converting leaving just the plug itself to be changed. I'm almost positive that it's been posted that the worst case here would be needing a power cable to the brick.

Chances are that most people here have a couple lying around, I think I've got a half dozen or so of them of varying types at the brick end.

Last edited by a moderator:
hopefully it's the brick thing cause i think i have one from some old walkman charger or something else made by sony
and to the OP, you needed a converter for India? i just brought like an adapter that was very lightweight and it worked flawlessly the many times i go there (at least once a year, the long plain flights are probably the reason i'm so excited to finally have something that will last the entire trip with just 2 batteries!)

Ashwin said:
hopefully it's the brick thing cause i think i have one from some old walkman charger or something else made by sony
and to the OP, you needed a converter for India? i just brought like an adapter that was very lightweight and it worked flawlessly the many times i go there (at least once a year, the long plain flights are probably the reason i'm so excited to finally have something that will last the entire trip with just 2 batteries!)
2 batteries? do you travel like the width of the world each year? that is like 20 hours on the pandora. :huh:

hey

The Pandora is expected to come with a switching power supply with a standard cord socket which should function on 110V and 240V systems. It is not known if there is a plan to supply localized power plug cables.

Craig has also stated that a PSP power supply will work fine with the Pandora.

I thought yas might be interested in the FAQ (What about the power supply?), as quoted above.

cyas

yosh64 said:
hey

The Pandora is expected to come with a switching power supply with a standard cord socket which should function on 110V and 240V systems. It is not known if there is a plan to supply localized power plug cables.

I thought yas might be interested in the FAQ (What about the power supply?), as quoted above.

cyas

What exactly is a "standard cord socket"? UK standard?

csantoni said:
yosh64 said:
hey

cyas

What exactly is a "standard cord socket"? UK standard?

I believe they mean the brick will have a figure-eight male connector, and you just get a figure-8 cable for your region and use that with the brick. So there are no prongs to deal with at all. Except on the figure-8 cable, of course.

rabidpoobear said:
I believe they mean the brick will have a figure-eight male connector, and you just get a figure-8 cable for your region and use that with the brick. So there are no prongs to deal with at all. Except on the figure-8 cable, of course.
OK, that makes sense. I didn't realize the figure-8 was considered standard these days. I still see lots of proprietary ones on other devices.

That's how I read it. Just like the PSP, just like the GP2X. My official GP2X power supply shipped with the original (I presume Korean) power cord, and a local (Aus) cord. Both with a region-specific plug at the outlet end, and a fig.8 plug at the brick end.

For clarification:

pwrcable-fig8-lcopy.jpg

I'm sure they won't be so silly as to ship out UK-only power supplies to the rest of the world.

I thought the "standard" was IEC C13, as it allowed a safety electrical earth connection in supporting countries:

6332230096482812501_IEC_UK-Plugz.JPG

6332229895687500001_IEC_US-Plugz.JPG

I don't know about the standard, but there's lots of small devices that use the figure 8 cable, I have a few cordless razors and external hard drive cases that use it. Also my laptop has one of those figure 8 cables attached to a brick.

Gruso said:
IEC is the standard where earthing is required, yes. Many consumer products are double insulated though, negating the need for an earth. Look for this symbol:

double_insulated.jpg
Oh, so that is what that means! Never knew that :)
thanks Gruso.

Back