Process error

melloyellowfello

Still Fresh
Hey guys

I'm having a major problem, I can get my computer to recognize gamepark but I can't format my card it always says.

"an error has occured in the gp32 during process"

now I'm a patient person so I've searched the forums, and almost jumped outta my seat when I saw nutzo's post but nothings working. This is really starting to ride on my nerves. I hope this doesn't have anything to do with windows XP.

Now as I was typing this it actually worked so I sorta forgot about this post but now when I turn the link back on to install more things on it it says

"an error has occured in the gp32 during process"
(only installed free launcher, because didn't feel the luck)

Please help
note: Am using a new SMC

Yes I am using PC-Link to format it. I'm having no luck whatsoever with this thing.

I've been trying non-stop and on the offchance that I can format the card ( around 5%) I install the free launcher and moviepark, because if I install anything large it'll stop transferring after 3.14 MB. Then when I restart the gamepark it doesn't even recognize anything being there. I'm beginning to think its a SMC problem. but I'm not really an expert so I have no idea

Have you waited long enough when installing files larger then 3.14 MB. I have the same problem. When I transfer large files (programs, MP3, AVI) it seems to stop at 3.14 MB. After 10 seconds or so the transfer then resumes.

As for the "an error has occured in the gp32 during process" problem, is your GP32 during the transfer proces running on an adapter or maybe on (low) batteries?

Yeah I wait for a long time at the 3.14 MB mark. After about 30 seconds to a minute it'll say that the GP32 has timed out. At which time the only thing I can do is turn the machine off then back on, But when I turn it back on I can never go to the game menu it basically says its not there. Oh and the batteries are freshly chargeg (NIMH)

On an unrelated topic does anyones gamepark have very weird letters. For example all the "e"s are replaced with "g"s so it says...

"NO SOC HAS BGGN FOWND"

No joke. I just turned it on and went to MP3 and that message came up. I'm guessing its NO SMC HAS BEEN FOUND but still.... its quite messed up don't you think?

Hi. I bought me gp32 and it never worked for me. I always got those errors. I tried it on XP and 2000 and with a 16Mb and 128Mb SMC cards which i know work ok on a digital camera but when trying to format every time i got that same error. After a few days i decided to return the gp32 to where i bought it and i am currently waiting for the replacement. I hope i never see that error again!.

I am having the same problem, i cannot format the smc "an error occured in gp32 during process" , freshly charged batteries, i don't know what i'm doing wrong, i will take a break and calm down

had simular probs with mine when i 1st got it, in the end i had to format it in my rio mp3 player, then format it via pclink that seemed to do the trick, since then 'tocuh wood' i have had no worries with it

The only thing I use PC link for is transferring MP3s and installing commercial package files. Got a cardreader for everything els, and wouldn't change that for the world!

I'm currently having that problem. I can format my SMC via PClink, and occasionally it lets me copy files onto the SMC. However, the GP32 unit itself does not recognise that there's anythig on the card, and when I reconnect to PClink to transefer another file / delete the one it said it put on there (but the gamepark couldn't find) I get either "process error" or "communication error".

I know that rechargable batteries run at a slightly lower voltage (1.3 ish compared to 1.5?) than ordinary ones. NiMH are better than NiCAD, but still not quite as high, so this could be the source of my problem. I'll probably get hold of some decent batereis and try this afternoon - will let you know the result. I haven't tried using a new SMC yet - my new one should arrive tomorrow.

Until I get this resolved my GP32 is just a very expensive paperweight that goes "ping" when I turn it on. A great talking point maybe, but bloody annoying given what I know it should be able to do!

Have fun,
Melville

Had exactly the same problem when I started. In my case it was the SMC. It had been working in my MP3 player, I could format it in PC Link but everytime I tried to put something else on it I got the above error message. Got some new 128mb cards, worked a treat. Maybe it's a dodgy card?

In my case it could well be. The card I'm using is about 2 years old and has been in my Yepp mp3 player all that time. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Yepp players do something odd to the formatting, but not sure... Either way, will know for sure tomorrow when my new 128mb card arrives.

Thanks though, it's encouraging that someone else has got over this problem :)

UPDATE:

Just tried a new card and... still doesn't work. Still same crappy messages taunting me. Could it be a faulty console?? I mean does anyone else have those same messages?? g's instead of e's??

Later on today I'm going to buy a SMC writer and hopefully I can do something with that, but if I can't then I'm going to return this novelty paperweight.

Let you guys know the outcome later. And Melville you're right, it is good to know people have the same problems!

EDIT:

Just got the card formatted and turned the GP32 off, now when I turn it on I can't even access PC-Link, it just has the error screen earlier now... SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

melloyellowfello:
As I've said, I have effectively no experience with the GP32. However, I do know that the whole operating system, including the error messages, is stored by the manufacturer on a flashable ROM chip within the GP32 unit. This is called the "firmware".

Logically, this must mean that if the error messages or any other part of the operating system are corrupted then the problem is with the firmware. It is possible to re-install this firmware yourself (via the USB cable I think), but it's risky - if anythign goes wrong with the process then you're left with an expensive paperweight that as far as I know is beyond repair.

My advice is to contact whoever supplied it to you, who should then either repair it or refer it to the manufacturer - it is, after all, a tricky-to-fix mistake that the factory has made. Be sure to describe the problems as accurately as possible to them, and maybe mention that it seems like a firmware error. These things do occasionally happen with all products relying on firmware, and the sellers know it so you shouldn't have any real problems.

[Edit: Before contacting manufacturer, it might be worth trying it with new non-rechargable batteries (see my post above about different battery voltages). Low batteries do produce errors in some systems like this and it's almost certain that's the first thing that tech. support of whoever you contact will ask you. Although I have no idea if the GP32 is suceptible to this problem it might be worth checking.]

Hope this info is of some use to you... good luck!

and to anyone else who's reading this - Althoguh I wouldn't give advice like this unless I was confident about it, please comment if you believe anything to be incorrect / incomplete. It's the only way any of us will learn.

Have fun,
Melville

Hi There,

i have the same problem, too. Tried two different GP-32,
WinXP and Win2k (even a fresh install), but i always get
the process error. I have been able to transfer the
free loader and it shows in the games list but it wont start.

I will try another smc card and also different batteries
as suggested on this board and will return if that helps :)

cyas,

Bender

Well I've now tried a different SMC, a fresh set of batteries and still it won't work. I think its time to throw in the towel. On a good note though I've been able to get PC-Link to work again.

Does anyone else get weird english on their machines? I mean the e's replaced with g's??

Its really throwing me off...

On an unrelated note, does anyone else get freaked out by the smilies on the left when you're typing a post? Some blink and others look like they're staring intently at your post, scrutinizing your grammer mistakes...

Maybe its just me, its been a long day

does anyone get the weird english on their GP32s?? I mean e's instead of g's!!!! Its freaky man!!! not as much as those moving smilies to my left right now as I'm typing my message but still...

Anyways do you guys think I should exchange this??? Everyone who's read this post will probably know what I'm going through, and it seems like a lot of you have first hand experience. Melville made an interesting suggestion to reflash the firmware, but that seems like a risk to me. I mean if everything was working great I would have no need for the program at all....

Do the "intellectuals" think that this is a console problem?? I've tried it about a million times now and nothing.. doesn't get recognized.. and I've tried everything in this thread except for the firmware flashing that was lightly suggested.

Thanks in advance guys, although nothings worked I've had fleeting moments of happiness thinking it would!!!

Back