Protozoa - New Game Being Released Today

Thanks for the replies everyone and some good suggestion. Happy that you all seem to like it :D I'll look into adding Pause in the next version Alex as it would definately be useful.

@ Line O'Sevens

Not sure what the issue is with the sounds on your machine and the incompatability with gmenu2x - If anyone else has these problems let me know. Sounds all work fine on my machine.

The inclusion of different hi -scores for different settings is a good one and is easy to implement so will get it added.

In the next version I would quite like to have distinct levels with several music tracks (hint hint pferguso ;) ) and varying backgrounds. I'm not going to have any different screen layouts though with walls etc. as I believe that is the direction that Alex is going with his game so it would be nice to keep them as different as possible - instead I'll have different enemies and organisms with various movement patterns and increasingly difficult goals.

Thanks again everyone.

!!!!!!! Warning mini rant begins !!!!!!

I'm a bit miffed at the votes I have for this - last night I got one vote of 10, but this morning I look and there are now 2 votes but the score has gone straight down to 5 :eek: . I don't think for a second that my game is worth 10/10 but surely its worth more than 1 (which is what the second voter must have picked). It seems on everything I've ever released there always comes a point when some joker puts in a ridiculously low score (and I've seen it happen to others as well). Anyway - rant over just think it's a funny way to encourage developers to keep working. It it wasn't for the feedback here - complete with constructive critcism which is good, I'd be really put off about releasing anything again.

There are some people who are giving votes of 1/10 for lots of software. They probably just hate the GP2X and think it's 'fun' to skew the results. Of course it works both ways (hence the 10/10). But the point to remember is that your game has already given enjoyment to the gp2x community, thereby making a real contribution to the community.

For that you have my unreserved appreciation!

Goob said:
There are some people who are giving votes of 1/10 for lots of software. They probably just hate the GP2X and think it's 'fun' to skew the results. Of course it works both ways (hence the 10/10). But the point to remember is that your game has already given enjoyment to the gp2x community, thereby making a real contribution to the community.

For that you have my unreserved appreciation!
Thanks and I think you're probably right. I've noticed it with lots of other peoples releases so I know it isn't just me but it really annoyed me this morning. Most software doesn't get many votes so one dud result like that does really skew them - there are plenty of games in the archive with low scores that really deserve much higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job on this game Ruckage! I think this game has proven that you're not only a very good graphic artist but that you're a great programmer as well. Amazing that a fast action game like this can be made with Fenix. You're a real advocate for the language. Kudos.
Love to see this developed any further with the plans you have right now.

ruckage said:
I'm a bit miffed at the votes I have for this - last night I got one vote of 10, but this morning I look and there are now 2 votes but the score has gone straight down to 5 :eek: . I don't think for a second that my game is worth 10/10 but surely its worth more than 1 (which is what the second voter must have picked). It seems on everything I've ever released there always comes a point when some joker puts in a ridiculously low score (and I've seen it happen to others as well). Anyway - rant over just think it's a funny way to encourage developers to keep working. It it wasn't for the feedback here - complete with constructive critcism which is good, I'd be really put off about releasing anything again.
Really you (or any other dev) should not care about the score on the files archive, it's anonymous and hasn't got any value (if there are not much voters). It would be better if the voting wasn't anonymous anymore. The downvoter is probably a 12 year old kid with major puberty problems.

Do we need the voting - Feedback in a thread is more indicative of people's feelings.

Personally I wouldn't download and install a game without investigating in this forum what it was like.

Anyway, looks and sounds good - will try this one out.

Given it a go - its great!

Will you be releasing the uncompiled fenix scripts so we can be in awe of your coding routines? Stuff like the fades are really nice.

I ask because I'm (very slowly) building a simple fenix game and I tend to learn best by example...!

bomb_dog said:

Will you be releasing the uncompiled fenix scripts so we can be in awe of your coding routines? Stuff like the fades are really nice.

I ask because I'm (very slowly) building a simple fenix game and I tend to learn best by example...!
Probably not as to be honest you'd be disgusted and rather frigtened by the scruffy nature of my code :p . I may do some simple scripts demonstrating how to do certain things though if there is interest (I'd make sure they were tidy and well commented) - just give me some idea of things you would like to see in a tutorial and I'll see what I can do. Fades in fenix couldn't be easier - you just adjust the alpha variable of the process.

This is a brilliant demonstration on how you can make a great game out of a simlpe idea with nice design, gameplay and music. Congrats.

As a graphician with very little programming knowledge, i took a look at Fenix some time ago and i lost interest quite quickly, but you made wanna get back into it. Any tutorial and commented code would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your next realeases

ruckage said:
I'm not going to have any different screen layouts though with walls etc. as I believe that is the direction that Alex is going with his game so it would be nice to keep them as different as possible - instead I'll have different enemies and organisms with various movement patterns and increasingly difficult goals.
That's very kind of you Ruckage, thanks a lot! :)

ruckage said:
Unfortunately this happened to almost everyone out there. I'm sure even killer-apps like Picodrive and GMenu2x got their share of 1's, the only difference is that more people voted and tipped the balance in the right direction. Just remember that there are more people who appreciate your work than people who'd put it down, and that your work is and will continue to be enjoyed by many.

ruckage said:
Fades in fenix couldn't be easier - you just adjust the alpha variable of the process.
Exactly the sort of thing I didn't know how to do - in my trial game I made 7 images with different fades and cycled through them ! :lol:

bomb_dog said:

I agree, I know some of fenix, I know about the alpha variable, but I think more guides should be submitted to Fenix on Fire. I may make a few myself if I get time. Fenix is far too undocumented :lol:

sam fisher said:
I agree, I know some of fenix, I know about the alpha variable, but I think more guides should be submitted to Fenix on Fire. I may make a few myself if I get time. Fenix is far too undocumented :lol:
Yeah it's tough starting out in fenix because of the lack of documentation but I found fenixonfire to be a great help. As I feel a lot more comfortable using fenix now I think I should definately contribute something to it.

I'll start a topic in the Fenix section of the forum for 'Tutorial suggestions' to get an idea of the tutorials people would like to see, then potential tutorial authors would have some ideas.

Line O'Sevens said:
Has no-one else had any difficulty with running it from GMenu2x, or had any problems with the sound effect for picking up the triple-cell not playing?

Anybody?
No-one else has mentioned it but that's not to say that no-one else has the problem - if they have please let me know so I can try and fix it. The only thing that I can think is that it's a firmware issue. It works fine on mine using Gmenu2x and all sounds play - I have firmware 2.1.1. You could try downloading it again incase your original download was corrupted somehow.

ruckage said:
Line O'Sevens said:
Has no-one else had any difficulty with running it from GMenu2x, or had any problems with the sound effect for picking up the triple-cell not playing?

Anybody?
No-one else has mentioned it but that's not to say that no-one else has the problem - if they have please let me know so I can try and fix it. The only thing that I can think is that it's a firmware issue. It works fine on mine using Gmenu2x and all sounds play - I have firmware 2.1.1. You could try downloading it again incase your original download was corrupted somehow.

firmware 2.1.1, Gmenu2x not sure what version, but everything seems to run fine for me

ruckage said:

Don't take any notice of the ratings, I don't know if it still happens but there was someone who regularly voted down everything to keep his games in the top 10 rated games. This screwed up the ratings on a lot of games (like my ports which are all obviously worth 10/10 :))

If more people voted it would be harder to rig the ratings, but most people don't bother.

Anyone whole picks games (especially the older ones) on the ratings alone is going to miss a lot of good stuff.

It is brilliant and I love it.

I can't make the snake change directions on my MK1, spotty at best. Is that a problem with the input routines?

I hope my stick isn't broken. Edit: it can't be because I added the link to Gmenu and then selected it :eek:.

You might want to check that out, if I can't change direction I can't play the game :(

Edit: I screwed up, disregard, see below.

Back