Protozoa - New Game Being Released Today

ruckage

Certified Guru
Download here
protozoa1ol3.gif
protozoa2mr0.gif

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd let you know about my new game that I will be adding to the Archive later today.
It was a speedy development for this one - started late yesterday afternoon and it's now finished (just need to add sounds and music.) The game is basically a snake clone but inspired by the snake mini game in Timesplitters 2 where the snake can travel in any direction. I'm quite pleased with the movement, unlike most snake games that basically stamp the body of the snake into the background this one actually moves smoothly with all the body segments following the head.

Gameplay details:

Start as a single cell organism and eat other organisms to increase your cell count.
Avoid running into your own body or one of the enemies as this results in game over.
3 types of organism to eat - all moving.
Adjustable speed and enemy count to allow the game to be customised to individual players skill.

pferguso said:
If there is one thing I love, it is artists and animators who can also write code... This game already looks good! I can't wait to play it. Let me know if you need someone to make some music for you.
Thanks for the offer, I actually already found a track that I like for this but your services may be of help for another game I have in the works - what style of music do make?

saehn said:
Looks awesome. I haven't turned on my GP2X for a couple of weeks, but this will make me do so tonight! Great work, Ruckage. What language?
Thanks, coded in Fenix (can't beat it for ease of development). Despite people always pointing out how much slower it is than SDL (which I'm not disputing) It still amazes me how many sprites it can throw around and its perfect for my needs. I've overclocked this to 240MHz as I was experiencing some slowdown when the snake was extremely long (around 150 sprites) though it may not be easy to get the snake that long anyway - the best I've managed so far is 65 so it shouldn't pose a problem for most player even if overclocking was removed. It seems quite happy with a snake length of 100 sprites without overclock.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruckage said:
Thanks for the offer, I actually already found a track that I like for this but your services may be of help for another game I have in the works - what style of music do make?

I can do several different styles, but I think if I knew what your theme was, I could have a better idea if I could help you. Do you prefer chip tunes, or Ogg music? I use Reason for doing most of my music, but I can use a tracker if you need a special format for the music.

Here is a sample mp3 of some of my music:

http://www.obstacledelusions.com/PatFergus...MusicSample.mp3

Enjoy!

-Pat F.

That looks great :) , I will give it a try when I get home.

Also I have a request, can you make it so you can turn off the music and still have sound. I like to be able to shut off music in games that way I hear get all of the sound effects.

Nice work ruckage, can't wait to try this. I like the idea of enemies, I'm really curious how they add to the game. The artwork looks neat as well, just like all your other works. :)

purple_goat said:
if you can make a snake game this fast, why can't alex. still get one out?
Perhaps because Alex has a lot of other work to do, not to mention the other GP2X project he currently works on? <_<

pferguso said:
I can do several different styles, but I think if I knew what your theme was, I could have a better idea if I could help you. Do you prefer chip tunes, or Ogg music? I use Reason for doing most of my music, but I can use a tracker if you need a special format for the music.

Here is a sample mp3 of some of my music:

http://www.obstacledelusions.com/PatFergus...MusicSample.mp3

Enjoy!

-Pat F.

All I can say is amazing, you're extremely talented. I've changed my mind, If it's OK with you I'd like to use the the fourth track from those samples for this game, the one the sounds a bit chip tune like.

MrHillBilly said:
That looks great :) , I will give it a try when I get home.

Also I have a request, can you make it so you can turn off the music and still have sound. I like to be able to shut off music in games that way I hear get all of the sound effects.
I'll add an option to switch the music off.

purple_goat said:
OMG!! your back!! I am very exited and ready to download!! :D
EDIT: if you can make a snake game this fast, why can't alex. still get one out?

Never went anywhere :p , and wheres my review of Dastardly Dungeon ;) - did you miss that game or did you hate it that much? I'm sure Alex will release his game when he's good and ready - maybe he's been busy on other things. You wouldn't believe the number of half finished games I have on my hard drive but never get round to doing anything with.

Alex. said:
Nice work ruckage, can't wait to try this. I like the idea of enemies, I'm really curious how they add to the game. The artwork looks neat as well, just like all your other works. :)

purple_goat said:
if you can make a snake game this fast, why can't alex. still get one out?
Perhaps because Alex has a lot of other work to do, not to mention the other GP2X project he currently works on? <_<

Thanks Alex. Well the enemies are really in place of level structures - so instead of having a maze for example you have the big pink blobs that float around the screen to act as obstacles to avoid. If I ever extend the game I'd like to add different kinds of enemies with individual movement patterns depending on the level you are on. The version I'm relesing now doesn't have seperate levels - just have to live as long as possible.

All I can say is amazing, you're extremely talented. I've changed my mind, If it's OK with you I'd like to use the the fourth track from those samples for this game, the one the sounds a bit chip tune like.

Thank you for the compliment. I wish I could give you the 4th track, but this is a cover tune of Cybernoid II from the commodore 64 that I was messing with. I do not want to infringe on any copyrights.

On the other hand, if you like that particular tune, I could modify it enough to make it yours, but still have the same thumping kick ass bassline to it if you want.

-P

pferguso said:

Thank you for the compliment. I wish I could give you the 4th track, but this is a cover tune of Cybernoid II from the commodore 64 that I was messing with. I do not want to infringe on any copyrights.

On the other hand, if you like that particular tune, I could modify it enough to make it yours, but still have the same thumping kick ass bassline to it if you want.

-P

That would be great. (sorry sent you a PM before I read the post.) I don't think that copyright would be too much of a problem though (especially as this game is free and the song from an old C64 game, the tune I'm using at the minute is a remix of a song from ecco the dolphin 2.)

Shadowsithe said:
Um.... flOw?
I'd be lying if I said that that game didn't influence me, simply for the style - though flOw in my opinion is extremely tedious - more of an artistic showpiece than a game. I hope the PS3 version has more playability than the flash version. This game started as me messing around trying to imitate the look of flOw using fenix and then turned into a game itself - though the gameplay is nothing like flOw at all (however the premise and look is still simillar.)

synkro said:
Shadowsithe said:
Um.... flOw?
That took longer than expected. Noting wrong getting inspired some where else...

I was also surprised it took so long for someone to mention it.

hitbyambulance said:
what did you use to learn Fenix? i wish there were more english-language tutorials...
Well I actually used to use DIV games studio years ago which is virtually the same so the manual I have for that does come in handy. The other major resource I check on is http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/ The 2 PDFs on the main page are really useful. Also check the code snippets and sources as they will put you in the right direction. Other than that just play around and you soon get the hang of things.

Well I think it's about ready to release.

@pferguso if you can provide an edited version of that track let me know and I'll hold off releasing it, if not don't worry as I can release it with the song I have.

ruckage said:
Well I think it's about ready to release.

@pferguso if you can provide an edited version of that track let me know and I'll hold off releasing it, if not don't worry as I can release it with the song I have.
I sent you an OGG, which is loopable. Let me know if you didn't get it, and I can put it on my site for you to download.

-P

Back