Protozoa - New Game Being Released Today

pferguso said:
I sent you an OGG, which is loopable. Let me know if you didn't get it, and I can put it on my site for you to download.

-P
Thanks very much :) , it's brilliant. I'll get it added to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ace... been hoping someone does something like fl0w ! Looking forward to trying this tomorrow.

bomb_dog said:
Ace... been hoping someone does something like fl0w ! Looking forward to trying this tomorrow.
Well I hope you're not dissapointed as it's more like traditional snake than flOw.

ruckage said:
purple_goat said:
OMG!! your back!! I am very exited and ready to download!! :D
EDIT: if you can make a snake game this fast, why can't alex. still get one out?

Never went anywhere :p , and wheres my review of Dastardly Dungeon ;) - did you miss that game or did you hate it that much? I'm sure Alex will release his game when he's good and ready - maybe he's been busy on other things. You wouldn't believe the number of half finished games I have on my hard drive but never get round to doing anything with.

Ummm..
I didn't hate your game I am just not much of a game-and-watch (read nintendo) fan

(I am downloading Protozoa now :))

purple_goat said:
[Ummm..
I didn't hate your game I am just not much of a game-and-watch (read nintendo) fan

(I am downloading Protozoa now :))
I was only joking PG :) . It's a made up game anyway so has no affiliation with nintendo but I do understand that that kind of game isn't to everyones taste.

pferguso said:
This is really fun! I love your sound effects. They are perfect. Very impressive for a first version! And I'm not just saying that because you put my tune on there either! :)
Yeah, I take back the comment that it's quite addictive. It's very addictive and stopping me from going to bed! :)

The graphics are great, as are the music and sfx. I love how the cells move as well, not just the enemies. Really good stuff :)

Edit:

I gave this a lengthier go, and I am very impressed. The fact that the snake goes off-screen like the Asteroids ship really adds a lot to the play strategy. One thing that I wish for though is a pause option. I also got the impression that the cells often run away from me, that's again very nice, makes you more alert and pumped up!

Another quality release Ruckage, and I'm not surprised to find people commenting on the quality of the sound effects too - you seem to have a knack for choosing quality ones.

Haven't downloaded yet, but I'm about to. ;)

On the Fenix front, I lost track of the other threads where you were discussing it, but did you manage to nail down the 'random GP2X Fenix crash/exit' thing? I have a memory of it involving compiling with debug on or something... ?

Okay, so now it's been downloaded and played, here's some feedback:

Wiggles :D :
  • Great graphics and style
  • Great music
  • Great sound effects
  • Loving the design decision to let the player/items wrap around the screen. It really opens the game up where it otherwise could have become frustratingly cramped on the GP2X's small screen.
  • When I first started playing I thought it was paced a bit too fast, but further playings show that it's just the right level of challenging (once you get past the n00b stage of going "Oh it's too fast!").
Niggles :unsure: :
  • Running it through GMenu2X gives me nothing but a black soulless screen. Running through the 'normal' Games menu works fine. GMenu2X v0.8 and firmware 2.0.0
  • Could really do with title screen music, y'know, to 'announce' the game. Let people turn it off, sure, but on first-run I think it should default to being on, and being there. Perhaps that other track you were going to use in-game?
  • Sometimes when the items were collected the sound effect wouldn't play. Seemed to happen more with the 2x and 3x items than the single. I only really mention this because I enjoyed hearing the sound effects so much, but the lack of feedback reduces the 'pleasure' of the pickup.
  • Yes, I can see that a 'Pause Mode' would be very handy.
Sure there's a bunch of things you could do to expand upon the game (I'm sure you have a big list yourself), but I'm just as happy to evaluate it on face value. In short, a very high-quality game for what it is, and another great advertisement for the ability of Fenix!

Thankyou very much.

[edit]

Repeated playing makes me realise that picking up the 3x cells has no sound effect at all (?). The 2x effect is rather more subdued than the 1x one, so maybe I just missed it in the music a coupla times, but 3x never makes a single whimper.

Seems the sound for the 3x pickup works fine on Windows (XP)... so I hope it's not something weird with the GP2X implementation of Fenix. That'd be unfortunate.

Oh, and the only reason I mention the apparent incompatibilty with GMenu2x (and/or FW 2.0.0) is because Blingo works perfectly on the same machine with the same configuration, so I was wondering if you'd changed anything.

Oh, and one easy-fix 'ehancement suggestion': keep different high-score records for different setups. Having just one high-score for everything diminishes the incentive to choose to make the game harder or faster (imho). I see situations of "Sure, that's a nice high score, but can you beat my score for four enemies on fast?!"
[/edit]

Back