Psp 1001 Or The Gp2X Wiz?

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
I recently bought the Wiz for about $100, but the same time, I started using my PSP again, buying spare parts for it(front face plate, battery) to restore it to its former glory.

I like the Wiz because of its nice portable size, as well as being able to run a few PS1 games on it. My only concern with it is how a lot of people in the past have complained about screen ROT and screen burn issues, though that hasn't happened to me so far. Not only that, but as far as spare parts, more notably, replacement batteries for long-term usage, no one seems to care about keeping the Wiz alive anymore. There is a store somewhere in Germany, but they charge shipping rates that cost more than most of their product alone.

As for the PSP 1001, I found that to this day, there are still a lot of online vendors that still sell replacement parts for the PSP. I was able to get a new front faceplate, battery, charger, and original remote/headphones, brand new, for about $20. As far as games go, I can hack it to use emulators, not to mention the nice game library I already have for it, more notably, PoPoLoCrois, Valkyrie Profile, Crisis Core, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles just to name a few. Also, I heard that the 1000 models are much more easier to hack compared to the 2000 and 3000 models.

So what should I do? Should I sell my Wiz and better-appreciate my PSP? Or should I sell the PSP and all of its juicy extras and use the Wiz instead?

rolling_haro said:
SONY said:
Sell both and get a Caanoo.

Aside from that.

I would go with the PSP, I am running a PSP 3000 and itplays nearly everything including Amiga the new Amiga emulator runs very good,there is a simple answer stay with the main stream consoles because spare partsare not a problem but if you go to an obscure brand get 2 units 1 for spearparts it has always worked for me

Last edited by a moderator:
i sold my psp1000 with cfw ages ago, im looking at getting a psp3000 that cant read umd's, obviously its cheap and i only want it for homebrew. can anyone tell me if its easy to softmod any model of psp at whatever firmware? and do you still need a umd present to run backups or homebrew/emulators? thanks for any help

Yes they're easy to mod even on the latet firmwares and you don't need the umd drive to do it.Check out psp-hacks.com for some good tutorials.Been playing some classic psx games on mine recently, Castlevania symphony of the night is a classic.

Yes they're easy to mod even on the latet firmwares and you don't need the umd drive to do it.Check out psp-hacks.com for some good tutorials.Been playing some classic psx games on mine recently, Castlevania symphony of the night is a classic.

oops sorry for the duplicate

If you care about snes emulation go for a wiz. Otherwise there's not that much of an advantage over a psp.

redlemon said:
If you care about snes emulation go for a wiz. Otherwise there's not that much of an advantage over a psp.

How is PSP emulation compared to the Wiz though? I want to run GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, Sega MD, PS1, and CPS2 mainly for Marvel vs. Capcom. Do these kind of games emulate well on a 1001 model? Also, what's the highest capacity MSPD I can get for my PSP, since it's an older model? I only have a 2GB on there right now.

SONY said:
I thought PSPs latest firmware wasn't fully hacked yet?

It can be downgraded to a hackable firmware I believe.

rolling_haro said:
redlemon said:

How is PSP emulation compared to the Wiz though? I want to run GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, Sega MD, PS1, and CPS2 mainly for Marvel vs. Capcom. Do these kind of games emulate well on a 1001 model? Also, what's the highest capacity MSPD I can get for my PSP, since it's an older model? I only have a 2GB on there right now.
SNES emulation isn't that great on the PSP, but on the Caanoo/Wiz, it's awesome, near perfect. I've noticed sound and slowdown issues with a lot of games on SNES9x for PSP. However, many games are playable.

GameBoy emulation is a bit better on the PSP, IMHO.

Genesis/Mega Drive emulation is about the same on both the PSP and Caanoo/Wiz.

Playstation emulation is a great deal better on the PSP; you can play practically any game that doesn't require dualshock control. The Caanoo/Wiz doesn't run most games, especially 3D games.

Vectrex emulation is about the same, though the Caanoo's joystick is more comfortable.

As for NES emulation, I think the Caanoo/Wiz is better. I have experienced a lot of crashing with PSP NES emulators.

I don't know about CPS2 or arcade emulation on the PSP, but it's great on the Caanoo/Wiz.

GBA emulation is about the same on both consoles, I think. I haven't had any problems with either systems. I was able to play Link to the Past and King of Fighters for four hours straight on both of them. :lol:

I bought a 16GB MSPD for my PSP, but you can get a 32GB one. The PSP-1001 should support a 32GB MemoryStick if you update it to a certain firmware... was it 6.20? They can be expensive. I have a 3000 model that came with FW 6.20. Right now, you don't even need to hack or modify your PSP to run most homebrew or emulators because of software signing. However, you do need to modify it to run Playstation games. I've installed (permanent) 6.20 TN-E, which took minutes and didn't require anything more than a memory stick. I haven't had any problems with any PS1 games, apart from Ape Escape, which requires dualshock control, but I have the PSP version of that game, so it doesn't matter.

Overall, I think the Caanoo/Wiz is more comfortable to hold and more portable. You also don't have to worry about expensive memory. From what I have read, the screen tearing issue with the Wiz screens has been fixed.

Back