The Psp Topic

Vince2501

I like my F200 but I'm also curious about the PSP and have some questions. For others; feel free to ask your questions as well:

Would I need a specific firmware from the get go in order to hack it? Or could I just pick up any unit, upgrade firmware when necessary in order to hack it?

How is Wifi?

Could it ever emulate the CPS3 board? I know N64 emulation is a definite, and a DS is a maybe (at best).

Most important question... do I need a specific SD card to use with the system or do I just a Sony adapter to use any old card?

My F200 is fine, but it seems a bit limited when compared to the PSP... plus the D-pad sucks for fighters (I end up getting my ass handed to me in Street Fighter 2).

I'd be open for trading for a hacked PSP unit too.

Google "jigkick" or "pandora battery" for the most common way to hack PSPs now. I'm not sure if Sony released some kind of fix for that but if not that hack should work on any PSP. Past that, the most recent "open" firmware should suffice for whatever you want to use your PSP for.

As for the SD card question, the PSP doesn't take SD cards. You would have to buy a Memory Stick to use with the device, though you can purchase a MicroSD->Memory Stick adapter and then use MicroSD cards. That's what I do personally, since I don't have anything else that uses Memory Sticks. There are also SD->Memory Stick adapters but because an SD card won't physically fit into the MS slot, they're external and add to the size of the PSP. This is one such adapter, but I can't vouch for the store.

I concur. The Slim has an excellent functional d-pad. What's the point if you can't play the game?

As for getting started with hacking the PSP Slim, everything you need can be found here: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=78542 That's the exact and only guide I used to get custom firmware on mine. I hear that Pandora's Battery still works on the current official 3.9 firmware (though if you buy one now it's likely to have a previous version) so you may still be in luck.

A lot of your questions have already been covered, but I'll add my 2¢... re: the D-Pad issue on PSP versions (fat vs. slim), as someone who owns both I gotta say I really don't notice much difference - both work perfectly well for me, but I do have large, strong hands... re: emulators, the PSP scene seems to me to be a lot more casual about emu development than you generally find around here - there's a "well, that's good enough" vibe about it all, and I doubt anyone will get around to doing a really solid CPS3 emu for it... N64 emulation isn't going anywhere too fast, either... But for playing Playstation games on the go, the PSP cannot be beat, and it has a wealth of excellent commercial games available for it as well. It's certainly well worth the purchase price - depending on your gaming preferences, perhaps more-so than the GP2X...

Back