Psp Firmware?

3Designer

Still Fresh
I'm not sure if it's blasphemy on this forum :p , but would it perhaps be possible to install the PSP's firmware (hacked) on the Pandora as a second OS? Like x86 computers with both Windows and Linux, but then the PSP firmware booting from a SD card..

Then we would be able to sort of "emulate" (I understand that wouldn't be the correct term ;) ) the PSP as well... Support for PSP games on the Pandora would be cool and also a major extra attractor to buy it for a lot of people, considering the huge game industry behind the PSP..

I have not so much technical knowledge about hardware and OS so forgive me if I'm saying something stupid ;) , but I thought there might be a chance considering the PSP uses ARM 9

The PSP uses a MIPS CPU, not an ARM9. Besides, Pandora has an A8-Cortex which is not an ARM9 core.

3Designer said:
I'm not sure if it's blasphemy on this forum :p , but would it perhaps be possible to install the PSP's firmware (hacked) on the Pandora as a second OS? Like x86 computers with both Windows and Linux, but then the PSP firmware booting from a SD card..

Then we would be able to sort of "emulate" (I understand that wouldn't be the correct term ;) ) the PSP as well... Support for PSP games on the Pandora would be cool and also a major extra attractor to buy it for a lot of people, considering the huge game industry behind the PSP..

I have not so much technical knowledge about hardware and OS so forgive me if I'm saying something stupid ;) , but I thought there might be a chance considering the PSP uses ARM 9
The PSP doesn't use ARM 9 it uses MIPS ;)

The hardware is very different so no PSP emu (playable at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes the PSP has a MIPS. But there have been spec changes for Pandora: it will also have a MIPS and a x86 and a Cell to ease emulation.

The problem is that the case has to be redesigned to host a fan and get a 220 V power plug. So the release is slightly delayed :D

Laurent said:
Well yes the PSP has a MIPS. But there have been spec changes for Pandora: it will also have a MIPS and a x86 and a Cell to ease emulation.

The problem is that the case has to be redesigned to host a fan and get a 220 V power plug. So the release is slightly delayed :D
It also contains a Blendtec Blender incase you need a smoothie or milkshake while you are on the move.

Peter R said:
Laurent said:

It also contains a Blendtec Blender incase you need a smoothie or milkshake while you are on the move.

but the question is... will it blend?

Yes, and produce ground beef by catalyzing air, the weak nuclear force, and a large amount of meaningless information.

atomicthumbs said:
Yes, and produce ground beef by catalyzing air, the weak nuclear force, and a large amount of meaningless information.
Pandora is too powerful for weak force. It does not merely rely on baryons interacting with leptons! It acts on the most fundamental levels by manipulating strong force and creating quarks and s.quarks using nothing but li-on battery power to produce the ground beef....like a replicator on star trek.

Peter R said:
atomicthumbs said:
Pandora is too powerful for weak force. It does not merely rely on baryons interacting with leptons! It acts on the most fundamental levels by manipulating strong force and creating quarks and s.quarks using nothing but li-on battery power to produce the ground beef....like a replicator on star trek.

You have to hook up the matter-antimatter reactor (not included) to produce more than one protein molecule per charge, though.

3Designer said:
I guess this means that playing PSP games on it will never be possible? :p
Not unless you generate the ground beef using super light isotopes of the normal elements present in its polypeptides, E=MC² after all....

3Designer said:
I guess this means that playing PSP games on it will never be possible? :p
Oh it will be possible. What you will do is rip out the Pandora mother board, replace it with a PSP motherboard and Voila! PSP on Pandora ;)

I believe there was a comment to the effect that PSP games might be possible if one used high level emulation on the calls they make to the various pieces of hardware in the actual PSP.

However, I believe in the same breath it was specified that not only would doing something like that be more work than any dev would probably be willing to put in, it would almost certainly result in their being sued by Sony, because to do so would require information in documents only available by signing agreements with Sony - agreements that you'd have broken in order to write the emu.

Conclusion: Not going to happen. And *definitely* not in the manner you suggest.

Tobriand said:
it would almost certainly result in their being sued by Sony, because to do so would require information in documents only available by signing agreements with Sony - agreements that you'd have broken in order to write the emu.
Nah, you can reverse engineer most calls - a lot of PSP homebrew uses reverse engineered calls. Then you can claim interoperability license.

It does mean however that it'll probably not run any (or very very little) commercial stuff, so not worth the effort, like you say.

Back