Psp Emulation On Pandora

Okay, for the third time…
I NEVER said that all the games are bad, just said many of them!
Yeah, there are good innovative games on the PSP, otherwise, I would never have bought one. (echochrome, patapon, n+, … Even if I mainly got a PSP to be able to play wipeout anywhere :lol: )

Like I wrote on my previous post, all I wanted to say was that native games would be far more interesting for the Pandora than emulated ones.
Even if they're just ports of games from another platform (linux X86, …).

Some people seems to have understood what I meant.
Excuse me if sometimes I say things a bit harshly, english isn't my mother tongue.
I mainly learnt english playing untranslated games, on forums, watching movies and on some MMO chat. (the basics are from school)

KodeIn said:
Okay, for the third time…
I NEVER said that all the games are bad, just said many of them!
Yeah, there are good innovative games on the PSP, otherwise, I would never have bought one. (echochrome, patapon, n+, … Even if I mainly got a PSP to be able to play wipeout anywhere :lol: )

Like I wrote on my previous post, all I wanted to say was that native games would be far more interesting for the Pandora than emulated ones.
Even if they're just ports of games from another platform (linux X86, …).

Some people seems to have understood what I meant.
Excuse me if sometimes I say things a bit harshly, english isn't my mother tongue.
I mainly learnt english playing untranslated games, on forums, watching movies and on some MMO chat. (the basics are from school)
I don't know most homebrew are 2d with a few exceptions but we won't really see any native 3d games but emulation is just as awesome so we will see Sonic Robo Blast has basic 3d. Native 3d games would be cool but not happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 MB eDRAM @ 2.6 Gbps. I misread some thing somewhere. I thought it was the floating point or something.

As its CPU, PSP will make use of twin MIPS R4000 32 bit processors running at max 333 Megahertz. One of these units is referred to as the Media Engine, and is to be used for sound, movies and I/O management. In addition, the system will include a so-called VFPU floating point vector unit with calculation capability of up to 2.6 Gigaflops. This latter unit is meant for assisting the CPU in 3D calculations.

Memory for the system is divided into two areas. In all, the system is expected to feature 8 Megabytes main memory with bandwidth of 2.6 Gigabytes per second along with two megabytes of sub-memory, also at 2.6 Gigabytes per second, which will be used by the Media Engine.

Outside of the CPU and main memory, the system will of course include a graphics processing unit (GPU). The GPU is made up of a Rendering Engine and a Surface Engine and has access to 2 Megabytes of VRAM with a bandwidth of 5.3 Gigabytes per second. The hardware will include support for traditional polygons as well as curved surface primitives along with such things as clipping, morphing and more, freeing up software from having to deal with these. Sony claims a theoretical polygon performance of 33 million polygons per second.

linuxftw said:
I don't know most homebrew are 2d with a few exceptions but we won't really see any native 3d games but emulation is just as awesome so we will see Sonic Robo Blast has basic 3d. Native 3d games would be cool but not happening.
Since 3D engines have been ported to beagleboards (Irrlicht, Ogre and others), the Pandora seem pretty "3D homebrew ready".
I think what's missing at the moment, is the motivation that could come back with a pandora in the hands :p
So there will definitely be native 3D games, like Quantum Drive that will be a RTS with 3D graphics (dflemstr, Keaft and a few others are working on it).

JayFoxRox you are amazing, I didn't think the emulator was that far along (to the point of running homebrew)

linuxftw said:
Native 3D games have already happened. At the least we've got Quake1/2/3. We'll probably get Nexuiz as well eventually, and many others based on the Quake3 engine. Most of the Irrlicht games, once the openGLES patches hit mainline (if they haven't already), will just need a recompile.
Native 3D games are cool and definitely will be happening.

There's only 1 PSP game I truly miss and it was a low firmware game. MLB. The later editions didn't seem to add so much that the original wouldn't still be great to play again. I hope that one will eventually work.

For Persona fans, the Persona 3 remake for the PSP is so superior to any previous PS2 version that my eyes glaze over at the thought of trying to list all the improvements. If it can be run at speed(and if the upcoming english localization only removes the horrifyingly underage sex, and not any of the actually cool stuff), I am almost certainly going to buy it for Pandora usage.

I've never had a PSP (Boo Sony! Boo UMD!), but if I had, a lot of these re/de-makes of PS2 games would look pretty interesting, since there's no portable PS2 alternative that I'm aware of. And I heard Patapon 1 and 2 were fun, and some people even honestly claim Vice City Stories was better than GTA4.

At this point, there's really no announcement of a gaming system that the Pandora could now emulate that would move me that much: it already does so much, any additions are just a drop in a the icing on the cake.

God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:
since there's no portable PS2 alternative that I'm aware of.

Be aware: http://benheck.com/ps2-portable

;)

-God Ginrai

the_more_you_know2.jpg

That...is awesome, though I think it stretches the limits of "portable." And also, unless there's a ordering page I just can't find, it's not really an "alternative" for me (I do not have access to a laser cutter).

God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:

;)

-God Ginrai

He needs to remake one using a ps2 slim. This project inspired me to buy a ps2 slim and soft-hack together a portable system. I say "soft-hack" because all I did was buy a couple of portable dvd batteries, splice them together and cram them in a ps2slim soft case along with the ps2 slim and one of those 8" screens that attach to the ps2. With a couple of wireless controllers, its actually pretty cool. The best part is the ps2 is modded so I can do homebrew and whatever else. I have dreams of one day actually hacking it for real like benheck did, but I really have no experience with such things or the time to give it a go.

This is making me want to bust that thing out again tho, been awhile but I did just finish ff13 and persona 4 is sounding good right now. :lol:

Kicker said:
God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:

;)

-God Ginrai

[Awesome Image]

That...is awesome, though I think it stretches the limits of "portable." And also, unless there's a ordering page I just can't find, it's not really an "alternative" for me (I do not have access to a laser cutter).

Ben does commissions, if I'm not mistaken.

-God Ginrai

Ben Heck and his fans have a very strange idea of portable, but the world would be more boring without them.

I dunno... my 15" Laptop is portable. Some even consider their 17" Laptop portable. Most of Heck's works is comparable in size to a netbook.

Perhaps you are thinking 'pocket sized' or 'gadget' or 'ultra-portable'...

KodeIn said:
Not really a boost, since most of PSP games are not that good or are remakes of PS1 games.
When Pandora will get native 3D games that are better than PSP ones, then that will be a real boost to the Pandora!
I think the PSP has quite a few great games, all though it is true a lot of them are remakes.

Exophase said:
SomeGuy99 said:
I found the hilarity descended into despair and spiralled into self loathing.

Nah, not really. It was a nice concept though; making a console into something like a hifi component. I wonder why nobody tried that since?

Does 3DO count? They were using the "multimedia center" concept to try to justify its outrageous price. Like CD-i it was also more of a licensable standard operating environment than a fixed hardware unit. Maybe that's the idea that doesn't really work. Part of the problem there is that it's trying to make hardware units profitable items on their own, which the industry has proven is not a competitive approach.
How did FreeDO get written in the first place? Is it possible to write a 3DO emulator from scratch? From what I understand no source code on that emulator but there has to be a way to write an emulator.

BackAssward said:
I dunno... my 15" Laptop is portable. Some even consider their 17" Laptop portable. Most of Heck's works is comparable in size to a netbook.

Perhaps you are thinking 'pocket sized' or 'gadget' or 'ultra-portable'...

+1

-God Ginrai

Back