Psp Vs Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neodude112320

Still Fresh
I Used to own a PSP but i had to sell it due to needing funds....Anyway The Emulaton on the PSP Was really good.Now is the GP2X Better,By the way i can get the PSP Cheaper than the GP2x.

Genesis, SNES (i believe), SegaCD (PSP doesn't support this at all) and a bunch of really old systems are faster on the gp2x. PSP has better PSX, GBA, N64 (gp2x has no support for this). Neo Geo and CPS2 are about equal in speed. The PSP will always have faster emulators except for arm to arm emulators but the things in the gp2x's favor are, 3:4 screen (same as almost all of the systems it emulates), no ghosting, better controls, ease of use, custimization. It really ends up boiling down to what is most important to you... if psx/n64 emulation and always having the fastest emulators is most important to you then you should go with a psp but if you care more about playing at native resolution, ease of control, more support for obscure systems and you like tv out/usb input then the gp2x is for you.

GP2X has the best handheld MAME. Well PalmMAME is also really good, but GP2X version is really optimized, really fast and fully featured. Many more games tend to run at a decent speed.
The PSP has quite a few MAME ports but they all seem to be lacking in some respect, either speed, compatibility or user interface.

For me this is reason enough to prefer the GP2X... :)

My favourite thread on this topic is here

There's some more good points made by a new GP2X user from a PSP homebrew background here

Last edited by a moderator:
The GBA is almost as great on the 2x as it is on the PSP, the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher. Beside that, I believe that everythng else is better on the 2X, specially the ability to hook it to a TV easily, adding external storage in several forms (I hate Datel's hard drive for the PSP so much), most common video format online is supported without any conversion on the 2X, you can have several pair of batteries for less space and money (in case you were planning for a long trip) and there's of course the fact that the 2X is an open platform, which eases homebrew development.

This topic comes up almost once a week ;)

Which is "better"? Well *hardware* wise the PSP is better. It is a faster system at 333 MHz.

What you prefer though may be different. Some emus are better on PSP, some on GP2X. I would say the PSP COULD do all of the emus that the GP2X does but better but many don't yet. That depends on the coders. PSX will always run faster on the PSP.

If you didn't mind the ghosting or the stretching of emu screens to fit the PSP screen then you may want to stick with that as that is what you know. If you prefer emus to be displayed 1:1 and sharper then GP2X is good.

sehs33 said:
the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher.
I don't think this is true.

Exophase said:
sehs33 said:
the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher.
I don't think this is true.

yes im not sure this is true either most games i have thrown at the psp psx emulator have worked

MINUS BATTLE HUNTER bah.

Re. my GP2X vs PSP comparison (thanks for linking imhotep!) I only looked at one game for the SNES emulator comparison. It's really too late to go back and update that thread, but I'd like to offer my most recent experiences with both.

SnesPSP_TYL, updated within the last two weeks, is the best SNES emulator on the PSP. In my original review, I speculated that newer releases of SnesPSP_TYL would outperform SquidgeSNES.

*Wrong!* Much to my amazement!

I already mentioned Milon no Doki Doki Daibouken. Try another heavyweight sidescroller like Actraiser or Hamelin no Violin-Hiki (Violinist of Hameln). You will be amazed along with me!

SnesPSP_TYL: Frameskip 0, CPU 333MHz (Max speed w/out OC but > default speed), 22KHz stereo, 1:1 aspect ratio, no smoothing. ActR: 30-38 FPS!! VoH: 33-45 FPS!! Setting Frameskip to AUTO made things far worse - the Auto FS setting sacrifices smoothness for greater emulated FPS, creating a messy slideshow effect.

SquidgeSNES: Frameskip Auto, CPU 250MHz (Max speed w/out OC but > default speed), 16KHz stereo, default aspect ratio. ActR: 58-60 FPS!! VoH: 48-60 FPS!! Somehow, Squidge developed an incredibly adaptable auto frameskip feature. Either that, or the emulation is running so smoothly that I'm not noticing dropped frames. The slideshow effect *never happened*, not once.

I don't pretend to understand how the performance shakes out this way; it almost contradicts the laws of physics (250MHz > 333MHz???). Feel free to perform your own experiments and share the results!

The PSP built in PSX emu is pretty impressive, and is officially supported to boot.

FWIW, Atari ST is a little more adv anced int he GP2X version since I've been toob usy to backport the changes to PSP one, but the PSP one runs faster due to the CPU difference.

jeff

I haven't tried the psx emu for the gp2x in at least 4 months, is it actually playable now? When I was using it, I was trying FFV I believe and it would load very slowly and was not playable at all. I think I also tried silent hill but I can't remember if I actually loaded it because I can't remember any results in playing it. :blink:

sehs33 said:
...the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher.
:blink:

You know, I think this is probably the most misleading statement I've ever read on these boards...

I've finished Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill on my PSP - how many people have played through any of these on the GP2X? The performance on the vast majority of PSX titles (and by "vast majority", I mean in excess of 90% of what's available) on the GP2X is so poor that no one knows if they're truely "compatible" or not - all anyone can say is that they start up and you can play (crawl) your way through the first ten minutes of the game (presuming you have an hour to burn); whether or not you could actually play the game through without crashing, no one knows, because no one has tried.... Check out MaxConsole.net's PS1 emulation on PSP boards and you'll find a huge compatibility listing that not only lists hundreds of PSX games that people have actually played to completion on the PSP, but gives you detailed instructions on how to do it. Most of these games run at full speed, and those with slowdown are still mostly playable. I'm going to be burning Resident Evil 2 on my PSP next week, and I'll eat my shorts if there is EVER a fully playable version of that game with sound on the GP2X... :p

jimid2 said:
sehs33 said:
...the PSP has better PSX emulation (performence wise) but the compatibility of the 2X's PSX emulator is much higher.
:blink:

You know, I think this is probably the most misleading statement I've ever read on these boards...

I've finished Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill on my PSP - how many people have played through any of these on the GP2X? The performance on the vast majority of PSX titles (and by "vast majority", I mean in excess of 90% of what's available) on the GP2X is so poor that no one knows if they're truely "compatible" or not - all anyone can say is that they start up and you can play (crawl) your way through the first ten minutes of the game (presuming you have an hour to burn); whether or not you could actually play the game through without crashing, no one knows, because no one has tried.... Check out MaxConsole.net's PS1 emulation on PSP boards and you'll find a huge compatibility listing that not only lists hundreds of PSX games that people have actually played to completion on the PSP, but gives you detailed instructions on how to do it. Most of these games run at full speed, and those with slowdown are still mostly playable. I'm going to be burning Resident Evil 2 on my PSP next week, and I'll eat my shorts if there is EVER a fully playable version of that game with sound on the GP2X... :p

FF8? How did you stop the crashes?

me gp2x does everything i need
for full 3d games etc.. i got ps2 there
rofl i played mates psp, and bell went at lunch and i was still making my way to save point, lol pick up and play handheld gaming, my arse ~~
get gp2x and dont look back

freddykreuger666 said:
me gp2x does everything i need
for full 3d games etc.. i got ps2 there
rofl i played mates psp, and bell went at lunch and i was still making my way to save point, lol pick up and play handheld gaming, my arse ~~
get gp2x and dont look back
Thats too biased -- 'making your way to save point', by which you mean in a commercial game, by which you mean somethign the PSP can do and the gp2x cannot do at all. So not a comparative item :)

The pros and cons weighed only matter if they're features he cares about; he only mentioned emulation, so only that can rerally be a factor..

Tough choice; the PSP is a clearly sueprior hardware platform, but when it comes to emus, its purely a matter of the devs working on them a lot of the time. The PSP emus by default will be faster (better hardware), but emus leave a lot of room for improvement by the dedicated. Few emus go through that cycle, so PSP emus are often better.. but the GP (32 and 2x) community is one of the very best.. so we end up with probabyl the best possible MAME on any platform being our little 2x friend.

So I almost think this sort of argument cannot be made in the general sense, but people are best saying "I care about this kind of emulation..." and go from there. The 2x is clearly superior for Arcade. The PSP is clearly superior for PSX.

Another factor is the stick; I'd say first gen GP2x's are nearly useless .. ie: The stick was just terrible, but fine. The rotation bias of thje stick was unforgivable .. a hardware company that didn't realize they'd put it in wrong.. *boggle*. The newer 2x's don't have that issue AFAIK, so thats mostly moot..

But if hes talking second hand early 2x, it is an issue; you just cannoy play a good shooter (1943 etc) on the early 2xs, since your'e forever flying off on diagonals :p

(course, the PSP isn't much better.. its controls are suited for 3d, driving, etc.. the d-pad is ass for 2d, until you get the 50 cent d-pad glue on that makes it work like a d-pad instead of discrete buttons.)

The 2x shoudl be the perfect 2d game gadget, if they coudl onyl tweak it a touch. At least the screen is right :)

jeff

course im bias, its a gp2x forum
all the psp kids slag gp2x off on their forum.
but doesnt psp have the firmware issue to worry about, and the ghosting screen, so many games are side scrolling, i dont want any blurring, and incorrect aspect ratio screens also annoy me to hell.
just tell us what ur gonna use it for and we'll say what to buy

freddy: the psp has a sleep function. you press the pause button ingame, hit the off switch on the psp and it goes to sleep mode. you can later resume exactly where you left off. it's a great feature which the gp2x is lacking.

Orkie said:
250 MHz on MIPS != 250MHz on ARM.
I defy you to prove that one is significantly better than the other.

SNES9x TYL is just worse than SquidgeSNES, apparently. It doesn't mean that faster SNES emulation can't be done for PSP.. actually, I often hear that GBA emulation is on average faster (and I know that that too can be improved, although I don't know how much)

Vollgasasi said:
freddy: the psp has a sleep function. you press the pause button ingame, hit the off switch on the psp and it goes to sleep mode. you can later resume exactly where you left off. it's a great feature which the gp2x is lacking.
drains battery tho ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back