Psx Emu

Goity posted on Oct 27 2004 at 02:53 PM said:
what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit anyhow?
The operators when programming can be larger in a 64-bit system than a 32-bit system. 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 as the maximum value compared to 4,294,967,295 of a 32-bit system.

Last edited by a moderator:
64 bit vs 32 bit well is it a "true" 64 bit processor then it has 64 bit addressing... and can handle very very much memory... as well as large 64 bit operators...
Motorola 68000 was 16/24? 16 bit operators and 24 address lines... If I remember correctly...

kknd_cf posted on Oct 27 2004 at 03:43 PM said:
I'm sure this has already been said/thought but there was so much strife for the poor people who asked for a PSX emu and they were always flamed, most of the time by people who were just quoting people who knew what they were talking about.

But now the concept is actually possible and know one seems to be greatly suprised or feel sorry for their flaming.

I'm not asking for it, it's just rather strange, that's all.

I know what you mean, now the doubters are getting flamed. I doubt that the coder is going to mind that some people think it's impossible.

Put simply, in general: more bits = more speed/power. (don't turn this into a tech debate, I know that doesn't always have to be true but it's the simplest way to put it to someone who doesn't have a clue about it).
And it's never going to run at a pace that you can actually play games at, so it's no more than a novelty really... So that to me means the people that said PSX emulation on GP32 is not possible are still right, if it's not full speed or close to it it doesn't count.

finraziel posted on Oct 28 2004 at 09:06 AM said:
Put simply, in general: more bits = more speed/power. (don't turn this into a tech debate, I know that doesn't always have to be true but it's the simplest way to put it to someone who doesn't have a clue about it).
And it's never going to run at a pace that you can actually play games at, so it's no more than a novelty really... So that to me means the people that said PSX emulation on GP32 is not possible are still right, if it's not full speed or close to it it doesn't count.

hmm, I don't agree- If it's not PLAYABLE then it may not count. Does not have to be full speed- especially for turn based stuff.

Anyway, I doubt it will be playable. He was only getting one FPS out of it on a 40mhz GP32 emulator. On a 166 that would be 4FPS-not good.

I didn't think anyone was expecting anything playable. That's daft, this is just a cool tech demo, and another that craig can add to his list on the gbax gp32 review :p.

finraziel posted on Oct 28 2004 at 09:06 AM said:

The Atari Jaguar is a good example of why that isn't necessarily true :p

Shirohagen posted on Oct 27 2004 at 01:44 PM said:
Guess I'll never see Commodore 64 then...

sigh.

...but Amiga CD32 is likely!

yay!

;-)

®

i hope your joking ! just in case ur not the Commodore 64 was an 8bit machine but with 64k of memory

Goity posted on Oct 27 2004 at 01:53 PM said:
what is the difference between 32 and 64 bit anyhow?

32bit machine can manipulate memory address and data in 32bit chunks and 64bit in 64bit chunks.

this page may help

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/64-bit

Shirohagen posted on Oct 28 2004 at 12:35 PM said:
tombott: What do you think?

I love my 48bit Spectrum!

®

lol goodman :D

I think it could be possible really at something near full speed, or even half speed. Bleem or whatever it was called ran at full speed at 266mhz, the gp32 doesn't have an os or other drawbacks.

Goity posted on Oct 30 2004 at 03:58 PM said:
I think it could be possible really at something near full speed, or even half speed. Bleem or whatever it was called ran at full speed at 266mhz, the gp32 doesn't have an os or other drawbacks.
But those emulators rely on your graphics card, just try running them in RGB emulation and see how many FPS you get on a fast PC.

how would u get the games small enough for smc cos the images are like 200mb.

plus you can rip the movies from them
but i have always wondered how a snes game can be like 700 kb zipped and a psx game be like 700 mb zipped...

so games that look like they should be on snes are like hundreds of mb

weird

diablo2 posted on Oct 30 2004 at 08:41 PM said:
plus you can rip the movies from them
but i have always wondered how a snes game can be like 700 kb zipped and a psx game be like 700 mb zipped...

so games that look like they should be on snes are like hundreds of mb

weird
less of a need to compress stuff if you have medium that big. (not to mention generally higher quality audio/video)

Back