Psx- & Nintendo64-emulation

Tinnus said:
We just have to bug StrmnNrmn a bit, and I bet he'd be very happy to do a version of Daedalus for Pandora :) I imagine the Pandora has the potential to emulate the N64 at very good speeds using Daedalus as a base (just check the PSP version, and it only uses one 333MHz CPU).

About PSX, well, it will happen very soon :)

(as soon as the psx4all team gets their hands on some Pandoras, that is :) )
Can the PSX emu, be as fast as the PSP-PSX emu?

Last edited by a moderator:
DTH said:
Can the PSX emu, be as fast as the PSP-PSX emu?
It will most likely be fullspeed with good compatability from day one (or maybe day 2 or 3). PSX4Pandora is already under development and the screenshots look very good.

We expect it to run most games fullspeed right away due to the Pandora being so powerful compared to, say, the GP2X (the reference we have).

It will actually be better than Sony's emulator in the PSP, because I'm re-writing the GPU plugin to use OpenGL|ES for the rendering :) Then we can do all kinds of fancy tricks like rendering at native 800x480 (done), anti-aliasing, bilinear filtering (done), 2xSaI-like pre-filters in the texture (done)... :)

Speaking of StrmnNrmn, has anyone seen him lately? He hasn't updated his blog since December.

Tinnus said:
We just have to bug StrmnNrmn a bit, and I bet he'd be very happy to do a version of Daedalus for Pandora :)
Good luck contacting him ;P he hasn't updated his blog in months.
If he does decide to do something for the Pandora, I hope that he doesn't abandon what he's accomplished thus far on Daedalus PSP. It really shows great potential.

I would think N64 would be easyer to run. It isint, but it's done anyhow. :p

If you think about it It might be possable to run SOME N64 games fullspeed. When running Project 64 on my 600MHz Computer in my bedroom, it would (for some games) run fullspeed. Some games however, were slow and at times chopy. I don't know if it was just the Emulator or the computer; But 600 MHz is about how much the pandora will be able to get to (with overclocking...I suppose) So... Maybe N64 Emulation isint as mythical as we would think. Just need someone with time on there hands...Plenty of time. :D

The Pandora will come out-of-the-box at 600 MHz. It could overclock to 750 without hardware damage (only less juice). Moreover, you really can't compare an ARM Cortex-A8 with a x86 since they're apples and oranges.

On fullspeed for some games, Daedalus for PSP runs some games at nearly fullspeed, *in the PSP* (example: mario 64), without sound and at a good speed with. Considering the Pandora is roughly (guesstimate: a lot) more than twice as powerful as the PSP using only one CPU, I think several games will do fullspeed if the same work is put on the Pandora version :)

Classic Team said:
FYI: There was actualy A N64 Emulator that came out the same day (actually I think there was just a few days difference..) the N64 itself did. Cool, but I think it didint do much.. :p
That just isn't true.

Tinnus said:
We just have to bug StrmnNrmn a bit, and I bet he'd be very happy to do a version of Daedalus for Pandora :)
How does one go about bugging StrmnNrmn? (And who would be best to contact him - fellow devs, a Pandora representative, or a flood of hopeful 64 fanboys?)

If he's willing to take it on, I'm willing to donate to the pizza & beer fund.

Tinnus said:
We expect it to run most games fullspeed right away due to the Pandora being so powerful compared to, say, the GP2X (the reference we have).

It will actually be better than Sony's emulator in the PSP, because I'm re-writing the GPU plugin to use OpenGL|ES for the rendering :) Then we can do all kinds of fancy tricks like rendering at native 800x480 (done), anti-aliasing, bilinear filtering (done), 2xSaI-like pre-filters in the texture (done)... :)
B) B) B)

SWEEEEEEET...

To Classic Team,

I bought my N64 on launch day (w/ Mario64 + Pilotwings!) and there sure as hell was NOT an emulator for it. Perhaps you heard about some hardware emulator used by developers at the time. And in regards to Pandora, you can't easily compare it to something like a 600Mhz Pentium3 PC - direct comparisons based on MHZ alone never work. However, in the end I do agree with you, and remain optimistic that N64 emulation may be possible on Pandora at decent speeds. As always, it all depends on some brilliant dev making the magic happen. :p

That might be what I was thinking of...lol

I always like to think that anythings possable when you put your mind to it...because if we didint, we would never make new things. :p

Although ya comparing my CPU to the Pandora wasint A very good comparison, I still think N64 emulation is possable.

We should go out there and find one of these "Brilliant Dev's" and donate A Pandora to him/her to "Modivate" Him/her. :D

Back