Psx Running On The Gp2x

Chip posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:22 AM said:
Drak posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:38 PM said:
Flexinoodle posted on Dec 2 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
Man good luck with this, I only get 25FPS at 624mhz on my Pocket PC so i will be impressed if you get it running well enough to be playable, I only use the PPC one for Rage Racer heheheheh (My favourite PSX game)

Are u sure mate? I get PSX running at full speed (50ish fps, i know its not 60 but still its not noticibly slow.) on a 500mhz computer with bare bones.

A PocketPC processor and an x86 processor are two completely different monkeys. They are each designed to do different things well. Not to mention that the emu you were using was probably specifically written for your CPU, while the PocketPC port was just that - a port.

Back on topic - that is freaking crazy. I never expected PSX emulation this quickly (or even at all). I figured maybe in a year or so somebody would come up with a port that ran at like 3fps just as a proof of concept. Top notch Danny, top notch!

Well don't get your hopes up too much. It won't ever get fullspeed or have any sound. It is mostly a tech demo not something you will really play, unless you like playing super slow and choppy silent games. It is more for show than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry DaveC but why so negative, Give the guy some support, It may only be a tech demo or what ever but it is worth trying, I remember people saying the same thing about the PocketPC version and i wouldn't be without it now, It isn't full speed but it is playable and i enjoy a game i no longer have the machine to play (Two original discs though, How bizarre)

davec is a notorious negative nancy. while he may be right in a lot of cases, he likes to dash people's hopes with harsh reality. i, personally don't see a problem with it because sometimes devs prove naysayers completely wrong and it is a wonderful thing when nancies' arguments get thrown against the wall. without them, how would we move on? (sarcasm :))

DaveC posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:31 PM said:
Chip posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:22 AM said:
Drak posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:38 PM said:
Flexinoodle posted on Dec 2 2005 at 05:33 PM said:
Man good luck with this, I only get 25FPS at 624mhz on my Pocket PC so i will be impressed if you get it running well enough to be playable, I only use the PPC one for Rage Racer heheheheh (My favourite PSX game)

Are u sure mate? I get PSX running at full speed (50ish fps, i know its not 60 but still its not noticibly slow.) on a 500mhz computer with bare bones.

A PocketPC processor and an x86 processor are two completely different monkeys. They are each designed to do different things well. Not to mention that the emu you were using was probably specifically written for your CPU, while the PocketPC port was just that - a port.

Back on topic - that is freaking crazy. I never expected PSX emulation this quickly (or even at all). I figured maybe in a year or so somebody would come up with a port that ran at like 3fps just as a proof of concept. Top notch Danny, top notch!

Well don't get your hopes up too much. It won't ever get fullspeed or have any sound. It is mostly a tech demo not something you will really play, unless you like playing super slow and choppy silent games. It is more for show than anything.
Or as I read it, "Well don't get blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah. Blah. Blah blah blah blah blah... blah blah, blah blah blah blah." :D :wub:

zodttd posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:25 AM said:
Hi All,

As you may know, I ported PSX to the Zodiac. I now have that emu running on the GP2X. It's in a very early stage so many games don't work and if they do they run sort of slow. I'll release it soon. :)

Things that will help me the most would be code for a good scaler as mine doesn't work well. Also, I have no idea how to do a menu system for picking games. If you can help let me know.
If you're need a scaler you might be able to use the hardware scaler chip. As far as I remember you might not be able to use it if you're using sdl but i think a few devs may now how it works (I think snaff used it in his c64 emu) so maybe you should try talking to some of the devs in #gp2xdev to see what they know about the chip

fomit posted on Dec 3 2005 at 04:48 AM said:
queso posted on Dec 3 2005 at 11:45 AM said:
Your public demands proof!

He's not claiming to be God. Come on guy, just have faith that what he's saying is true.
With proof, there would be no need for faith. God needs faith to survive, like a vampire or something.

DaveC won't concider it "playable" unless it's full speed (or close) with sound. Slightly choopy but with sound would be fairly enjoyable for my personally but I hate the amount of work required to get disk based games to work on our handhelds so while it's sweet to hear this has see some actual progress I doubt I'll ever use it unless the conversion is fairly painless even if it does get sound...

Jarska333 posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:55 PM said:
fomit posted on Dec 3 2005 at 04:48 AM said:
queso posted on Dec 3 2005 at 11:45 AM said:
Your public demands proof!

He's not claiming to be God. Come on guy, just have faith that what he's saying is true.
With proof, there would be no need for faith. God needs faith to survive, like a vampire or something.
I think you mean blood, though your comparison probably works either way :)

Hi, it's Zodttd here again.
Today I bring you none other than a PSX emu for the GP2X. I said it would happen, and so be it. I dubbed the emulator GP2PSX.

Grab GP2PSX at http://www.friggingames.com/gp2psx.zip

Very few games run, very few games are playable, and it's slow. But if you get a game working on it let me know! :) This is just for fun, I already heard and know what everyone thinks of the GP2X's abilities for running the PSX. :)

GP2SX Features:
Working Controls! ;P

It also features:
Support for multiple format ISO's (.BIN) including compressed ISO's: .Z and .ZNX These files can be compressed with PocketISO 2.0
Controls are mapped to the same place the psx controller has them.
Saving games should work but haven't been tested much.

How to install:
Place the following files in a directory or root of a SD card:
gp2psx.gpe - Main Game
mcd001.mcr - Memory card 1. Saving should work though hasn't been tested.
mcd002.mcr - Memory card 2. Same about saving.
SCPH1001.BIN - The PSX BIOS. This file is NOT included with the release of GP2PSX.
game[1-4].bin[.Z/.ZNX] - This is the ISO of the PSX game you'd like to play.
If you use Z/ZNX compressed games: game[1-4].bin.Z[NX].table

How to "play":
Since there's no game selector built-in, I had to come up with something real quick to pick a game for me to test.
What I've done is have GP2PSX blit a red colored screen on boot. When a game is selected the screen turns to a green color.
You can only currently select up to four games. This is how:
Press and Hold the 'A' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game1.bin, game1.bin.Z, or game1.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'Y' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game2.bin, game2.bin.Z, or game2.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'B' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game3.bin, game3.bin.Z, or game3.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'X' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game4.bin, game4.bin.Z, or game4.bin.ZNX
To exit the game, press and hold L+R and push the analog stick in.

Remember that the files are case sensitive. If you load a game that doesn't exist, expect to need a reboot.

How to help:
Help me find out how to do hardware scaling.
Help me figure out how to do a menu system for picking a ROM and choosing whether to use HLE.

Your game doesn't work?
Wait for the next release, but let me know what game it is and what goes wrong in it and I'll try my best to fix it. Since this is an early release, compatibility is VERY low. Like near 3% low.

Your game does work?
Let me know what speed it feels like it's running at. Currently there is no FPS indicator. Congrats on getting a game to work. :)

Your game runs but it goes slow?
This is a EXTREMELY early release. There isn't even an auto-frameskip yet. Be glad you even found a game that runs. :) Let's hope it gets sped up even more with some optimzations that haven't been put in place.

Hope you find this release at least interesting. :)
ZodTTD

P.S. I just found out Buster Bros Collection works though still too slow, and Einhander gets to the main game part then gets stuck at a waiting screen. :p
This is just the beginning of the emulator. I'll be working on the menu and compatibility.

Here's proof. ;)

zodttd posted on Dec 2 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
Today I bring you none other than a PSX emu for the GP2X. I said it would happen, and so be it. I dubbed the emulator GP2PSX.

Very few games run, very few games are playable, and it's slow. But if you get a game working on it let me know! :) This is just for fun, I already heard and know what everyone thinks of the GP2X's abilities for running the PSX. :)

GP2SX Features:
Working Controls! ;P

It also features:
Support for multiple format ISO's (.BIN) including compressed ISO's: .Z and .ZNX These files can be compressed with PocketISO 2.0

How to install:
gp2psx.gpe - Main Game
SCPH1001.BIN - The PSX BIOS. This file is NOT included with the release of GP2PSX.

How to "play":
Since there's no game selector built-in, I had to come up with something real quick to pick a game for me to test.
What I've done is have GP2PSX blit a red colored screen on boot. When a game is selected the screen turns to a green color.
Press and Hold the 'A' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game1.bin, game1.bin.Z, or game1.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'Y' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game2.bin, game2.bin.Z, or game2.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'B' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game3.bin, game3.bin.Z, or game3.bin.ZNX
Press and Hold the 'X' button and then push down the analog stick = Loads game4.bin, game4.bin.Z, or game4.bin.ZNX

Remember that the files are case sensitive. If you load a game that doesn't exist, expect to need a reboot.

How to help:
Help me figure out how to do a menu system for picking a ROM and choosing whether to use HLE.

Your game doesn't work?
Wait for the next release, but let me know what game it is and what goes wrong in it and I'll try my best to fix it. Since this is an early release, compatibility is VERY low. Like near 3% low.

Your game does work?
Let me know what speed it feels like it's running at. Currently there is no FPS indicator. Congrats on getting a game to work. :)

This is a EXTREMELY early release. There isn't even an auto-frameskip yet. Be glad you even found a game that runs. :) Let's hope it gets sped up even more with some optimzations that haven't been put in place.

ZodTTD

P.S. I just found out Buster Bros Collection works though still too slow, and Einhander gets to the main game part then gets stuck at a waiting screen. :p
This is just the beginning of the emulator. I'll be working on the menu and compatibility.

Here's proof. ;)
hax

I think you guys mean a "negative nelly" as Ned Flanders would say it.

Back on topic: OMG!!!

If I ever wrtie a report in school, on who is my hero, it will be about you zodttd!! ;-)

Someone test this out please!!!

zodttd posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:09 PM said:

GP2SX Features:
Working Controls! ;P

It also features:

How to install:
gp2psx.gpe - Main Game

How to "play":

How to help:

Your game doesn't work?

Your game does work?

ZodTTD

Here's proof. ;)

aaah. orgasms.

someone test this please...

Back