Put Us Out Of Our Misery!

I can't really believe it, myself. This has been one of the hardest threads to lurk through to date.

So many different viewpoints! Valid yet conflicting thoughts all spread across the pages.

I really hope Craig has taken a moment out of his free time (if he even has any between work/OP/getting hammered) to read and understand the truth in many of them.

Even if some of the criticism is a bit harsh, I am every so often irked by his attitude. Do I feel he is any worse than the average forum poster? Not really. I just feel he doesn't respect the fact that most people here really do believe in what the team is doing, and that he should learn to listen and accept their opinions (and criticisms) rather than constantly being on the defensive. Often I feel he intensifies the negativity of a given situation simply by responding badly to a nasty comment.

But when it comes down to it, I really love following the project and simply can't wait for my system. No matter how nasty the posts get, I do have faith in the team and the work they do. That without a doubt includes Craig, occasional outbursts and all.

It really will be a completely different day when we all have one in our hands!

Thank you for your most civil and respectful post, Dunny. I might indeed as well fuck off were I unable to appreciate it.

"Fiori musicali" is Italian for musical colours. I apologize for accusing you of negative social discrimination, for that was based on the cumulative misunderstandings on both sides. I did in fact think you were mocking the style of my self-expression which is sort of a personal thing and ideally irrelevant to handling the matters themselves which should be the focus in a productive discussion.

I was also a bit confused by you describing my posts both eloquent and long-winded in the same sentence. Perhaps I'm not familiar with all possible meanings of the term "eloquent", or maybe you were being ironic, it's difficult to determine at times.

But I don't know if I can fulfill your original request of expressing the same ideas in fewer words. In my eyes what I wrote is both to-the-point and reasonably specific at the same time, taking into account that (as I stated in my first post) I'd like to elaborate on those things. Maybe if I put it in any other form it would lose all resemblance to the "shape and form of my thoughts" to the extent that they would feel unfamiliar to myself. If it's a strenuous process for someone to read and absorb that, then by the same token I don't always perfectly follow other people's thoughts. It's not necessarily that they're from completely different worlds, but communication is much less trivial than some people think, and most of what we deem as successful transmission of ideas is actually inaccurate copies of ideas with a lot of noise at all stages along the route. If I do sound redundant or long-winded at times, then it's due to my efforts to reduce that noise.

Again, thank you for re-instituting civility & neutrality into this discussion.

fiori_musicali said:
"Fiori musicali" is Italian for musical colours
You sure about that, pal?

Last edited by a moderator:
fiori_musicali said:
"Fiori musicali" is Italian for musical colours.

I don't wish to step on any toes here, but wouldn't musical colours be colori musicali?

Fairly sure fiori is flowers. :/

Chest Rockwell said:
fiori_musicali said:
"Fiori musicali" is Italian for musical colours
You sure about that, pal?
I was pretty sure, yes. Unfortunately, I was wrong!

I read on the subject of renaissance era music (Fiori musicali is a work by an Italian composer Girolamo Frescobaldi) in conjunction with synaesthetic experiencing of older non-equal temperament musical scales in colours, so obviously that's where my confusion derives from.

Thanks for pointing it out to me, now I may introduce myself to me all over again. :p

fiori_musicali said:
I was also a bit confused by you describing my posts both eloquent and long-winded in the same sentence. Perhaps I'm not familiar with all possible meanings of the term "eloquent", or maybe you were being ironic, it's difficult to determine at times.

Given that English is not your first language, you can be forgiven (I can be magnanimous!) for that one. When someone is eloquent, the accepted and correct meaning is indeed that they use the language well, but colloquially those who are eloquent in their usage tend to be... well, flowery. When using this kind of language, they tend to overrun - discourse at length and all that. But the real point here is that when one expounds on one's opinions at length, using flowery language, the message can so easily be lost on the reader. Eloquence is to be desired, but runs the risk of being too long. A yardstick I generally follow - and I deal with the average Joe more often than most, given my profession - is to ask oneself if the text would not be awkward to vocalise.

No, no, there's no need to thank me :)

D.

Dunny said:
fiori_musicali said:

Given that English is not your first language, you can be forgiven (I can be magnanimous!) for that one. When someone is eloquent, the accepted and correct meaning is indeed that they use the language well, but colloquially those who are eloquent in their usage tend to be... well, flowery. When using this kind of language, they tend to overrun - discourse at length and all that. But the real point here is that when one expounds on one's opinions at length, using flowery language, the message can so easily be lost on the reader. Eloquence is to be desired, but runs the risk of being too long. A yardstick I generally follow - and I deal with the average Joe more often than most, given my profession - is to ask oneself if the text would not be awkward to vocalise.

No, no, there's no need to thank me :)

D.
Thank you Dunny. Tears are still streaming from that helpful hand you gave our grandiloquent friend. Even the Pope has never made me weep so. Bless you.

Dunny said:
fiori_musicali said:

I thought eloquence also includes clearness in putting forth one's ideas, which is exactly what some people thanked me for. For that alone I conclude my use of language was acceptable and the medium subordinate to the content. On ease of vocalization I cannot really comment on as I lack the required involvement in spoken English to determine that. Besides that, I think the problem for some people may be that the "eloquence" (using your definition) is sometimes experienced as an insult when the reader is unable to grasp the ideas expressed, which is generally a very poor reason to overemphasize the reader's personal dissatisfaction with the way I express myself. Maybe they misinterpret the intents behind my use of language (for which I already provided insight) and would be able to better relate to it if they knew me in person.

Dude, I like reading your posts. And there are those of us on this board who have english as a first language who cant (or maybe just wont) put the effort in to post as articulately as you do. And it makes you wonder about how they communicate in real life.

Me personally, is say fuck a lot.

Back