Putting The Pandora To The Test

DavidBowman

So the point of the Pandora is to be ultra-mobile, right? Well, the most mobile my Pandora has been thus far has been around my own town.

However, all this changes tomorrow - for tomorrow I leave for my first vacation in three years (and honestly, my first real vacation I've taken in the best part of a decade). I'll be flying from my hometown in Charleston, SC to Baltimore, Maryland (about an hour and a half flight) where I have a two-hour layover. From there I fly to Denver, Colorado and arrive about four hours later. It's a similar flight back. There's also a five and a half hour train trip to Aspen and back. That's a lot of travel time.

I have decided to leave my precious System76 laptop behind and instead op for taking only my Pandora alone. I'm having faith that I won't need a full-fledged laptop.

pow300.gif
Will the Pandora's battery be able to hold out?

Will it supply me with ample entertainment to keep me occupied!?

Will Craig save the cases from The Evil Chinese Factory in time!?

Tune in next week! Same Pandora-Time, same Pandora-Forum!
pow300.gif

Has anyone else taken their Pandora on an extended trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. That's good to hear. I never wanted a netbook because it isn't quite a good laptop and it isn't quite a good portable computer (as in fits in my pocket). I almost got one anyway, but then ordered my Pandora and waited patiently.

And that trip sounds really excellent. I'm dying to see Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
im off to florida in 3 weeks 9 hour flight + waiting + car time will test the pandoras battery. gonna take ds too just incase of it running out considering buying another battery but money is tight.

Im just collecting games and such that i actually wanna play make sure I have sufficient entertainment

I also haven't touched my netbook since the Pandora arrived (or the AI Touchbook, for that matter) and I've always got my Pandora with me .. its such a wonderfully useful little computer I just can't bear the thought of not taking it with me if I go somewhere! (Well I feel the same way about my iPhone4 too, just for balance..)

No question in my mind that its one of the coolest things to happen, hardware wise, in a long time! Long live the Pandora! :)

The sort summary of my trip was that my Pandora was an awesome companion! I did very little gaming, but lots of video watching on it. It handled most everything very well, with only a small amount of overclock needed to play mkv files smoothly (DVD resolutions only. TV resolution played fine even underclocked to 500mhz). Obviously, it did not handle high-def content smoothly, so my Blu-Ray rips were useless (as I pretty much expected).

What I did not expect was that neither PanPlayer nor VLC would refuse to play my mp4 files well. Not a big deal. I ripped those from discs to watch on my PS3, but I can easily convert them to mkv files.

Man, did it make those long rides so much better! I watched hours of my favorite movies and TV shows.

Back