Pyra christmas update :)

My question is, once the Pyra launches, how much work will the next hardware iteration take (Pyra 2)? Hopefully, substantially less, as we'll be able to reuse a lot. Or, how hard would it be to just slot in a better SoC and keep as much as possible the same (Pyra 1.5)?
Well one of the benefits of having a socketed CPU(SoC) module is that it would be easier to upgrade to another SoC without having to redesign everything.

I am sorry but in terms of progress this "Christmas update" is very similar to the one from Dec 30, 2015

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/a-final-pyra-newspost.76784/

Do not get me wrong, more than everything I want Pyra to be finished,
But come on! Sometimes I wonder if the fu*king PGS will be released before the Pyra...

Even this overpriced and underpowered device is released tomorrow,
It will be useful only as a piece of rock. No matter what "fancy security features" it have, this hardware was already outdated 3 years ago.
yeah righto

Don't forget Hofstadter's law..
I haven't. Unfortunately, the worst case never is.
If I understand correctly, the reason things are taking so long is basically had to start over from scratch designing this product.

My question is, once the Pyra launches, how much work will the next hardware iteration take (Pyra 2)? Hopefully, substantially less, as we'll be able to reuse a lot. Or, how hard would it be to just slot in a better SoC and keep as much as possible the same (Pyra 1.5)?
The Pyra has a separate CPU board. The main board provides access to all the peripherals and the CPU board adds the brain.

When newer CPU's provide support for more USB ports, other types of display output etc... those would not be able to be supported directly by the existing mainboards, but otherwise only a new CPU board needs to be created which will be both cheaper and quicker.

Worst case would be that the Pyra is canceled and we all just need to get GPD Wins instead :'(
But considering that it's a niche device the price is definitvly going to be expensive. So it's either rush it out and lose quality or wait for a quality product.
So I'll gladly wait :happy:

Worst case would be that the Pyra is canceled and we all just need to get GPD Wins instead :'(
But considering that it's a niche device the price is definitvly going to be expensive. So it's either rush it out and lose quality or wait for a quality product.
So I'll gladly wait :happy:
If the project were to risk running out of funds or something, I'd probably donate all my money.

yeah righto

44586378.jpg

At least quote me correctly, the last sentence was in regards of Neo900.

Anyway, I hope the upcoming CPU board revision, to finally resolve all the issues with the Pyra.

Last edited:
That's right, dragons sleep. I managed to forget this. I think I will visit the lair of one to grab some goodies!

If I am successful you will get more prototype pics and a log of my experiences with it. If not successful, keep an eye out for a humanoid shaped pile of ash and singed bones in future videos and pics by ED and you will know my fate. ;)

I know very little about electronics, could somebody who does tell me something about the complexity involved in a Pyra docking station which would be able to receive a Pyra CPU board? Would producing such a thing even make sense to you? I'm imagining that a very plain and dumb dock may be much cheaper, but I really haven't a clue.

could somebody who does tell me something about the complexity involved in a Pyra docking station which would be able to receive a Pyra CPU board?
I Wouldn't want to make a daily routine of taking out the CPU board. Those sockets used on the CPU/SoC board and main board are not rated for nor intended for repetitive removal and insertions. Also the fact you would need to disassemble the Pyra to get at it every time you would want to take out that daughter board.

ED made very loose plans for a Raspberry pi like board where you could just plop the CPU/SoC board onto it, however I'm not sure the draw of it. There are tons of other boards more capable and cheaper than the CPU board itself.

I rather see a docking station where you just slide the Pyra in.

No, not as a daily routine. When a Pyra CPU upgrade board is going to be released, there will be a lot of old-gen CPU boards.
Ah so an "Dockingstation" for the CPU Board (Aka Devboard)?
AFAIK @hns is planing to do one (But just the Board without Casing ofc).

I know very little about electronics, could somebody who does tell me something about the complexity involved in a Pyra docking station which would be able to receive a Pyra CPU board? Would producing such a thing even make sense to you? I'm imagining that a very plain and dumb dock may be much cheaper, but I really haven't a clue.

Well a plain dock is mainly about physically translating from one port to another (e.g. eSATA to full sized SATA) and maybe including some cheap and fairly commonly available chips to convert e.g. from HDMI to VGA, or to split off audio from the HDMI output. There's a little expense in making it accurate enough so that all of the male ports on the outside line up with the female ports on the Pyra, but not too much. Maybe a couple of revisions needed provided you don't do something dumb.

A SBC Pyra that could take a CPU board is basically as complex as making a new peripheral board, so I'd put that at maybe four revisions.

Meanwhile a dock that could also take a CPU board would be as complex as both added together. But I also don't really see the point of one - what would it do if it had a CPU board in it and you plugged a Pyra into it?

Time will tell :)
Maybe I'll offer it through one of those 3D-Print-on-Demand-Shops, but probably have a few in stock either.
Shouldn't be to complicated to get all people here who have access to a fablab/hackerspace with 3D pinters to make them fo the members, who haven't.

I could do some in our space.
[doublepost=1483346373,1483346124][/doublepost]
[...]
And I'm planning to create a basic mainboard without keyboard or nubs.
Just a very simple board where you plug in a CPU board and have USB, SATA, HDMI etc. connections so you can use it as a miniature PC (like the Raspberry Pi).
[..]
That reminds me of something: are you wiling to try to make that one fitting into the old Palm3 cases?
I have some of those and could help to generate the 3D data of the inside.

I could do 3D printing for the PyDock (or whatever the name for the dockingstation will be) and ship it to the austrian community members, as national shipping is much cheaper.
I never will understand how can i order electronic stuff from china with free shipping, but from germany it costs mostly more than 10€.

Back