Pyra Release date - Make your Guess here.

For the first time since pre-pre-ordering I'm seriously considering cancelling my order.
It doesn't feel that close to me, but probably more importantly I don't really retro game like I did when I bought the GP32/GP2X/Pandora (from Craig's shop many moons ago!!)

I think there might be other small mini-PC devices more suited to my tech requirements - possibly the One Mix 2S.
Of course, an update showing progress and maybe a video of what the Pyra is capable of might persuade me to stick the wait out......we'll see :D
I wouldn't cancel, especially if you've waited it out this long, unless you REALLY need the money. I don't so I'm not canceling. I'm just expressing my frustration in the process. I am going to guess when it does ship there will be a immediate market until supply meets demand and you can resell your unopened/unused device for a premium to the impatient. That alone is really the only justification you should need.

On top of that, the pyra will be a magnificent device purely on the aspect of having a best in class comfort in the controller arena. There are several other devices capable of doing everything and more as the pyra will do, but the pyra will do what it does better. The niche market will always exist for it so the investment will be worth it in the long run, if you're into that kind of thing.

I got a xd, xd plus, win, win 2, pocket, and many other Chinese game players and computers. They all have their positives and negatives and I feel they all have their niche use to me or else I'd sell them. I also have a pandora and it's nothing different, the pyra will be the same. It's great at X & Y, but comes short on Z. If you need a Lenovo, get a lenovo, if you need the money, cancel your order. But outside of that, I'd hang on, just to see if you really wouldn't use it. You can't unmake the decision to give up your spot in line.

i'll stay in too, even if it would take another 5 years.

and yes, i also would like more short updates/messages from ed here at the boards, even some "nothing to see here ;)" would be ok for me.
but pre-xmass is the hell for a webshop, sending all the stuff out, i guess.

we waited that long, so please @all keep your orders and we will have a great device with a great community in about 2months! <3

...And this is why I didn't pre-order, and won't back any crowd-funding. I was really, really lucky to get my Pandora, tbh. Many didn't. Although ED is all around a nicer bloke than CraigIX ever could be, this is hardware production and it doesn't matter if you're nice or not.

Of course, there's also the fact that this will be woefully underpowered for my needs currently when it comes out, mostly because my interests have changed direction. I have other ARM devices which are vastly more powerful. I have a GPD Pocket for my computing-on-the-go needs, which the Pyra would have filled.

BUT, we should bear in mind that the Pandora was laughably underpowered when released and people got it doing amazing things. That those things at the time lined up with what I was doing made it a perfect fit for me for a long time. And the CPU board can be updated to a better CPU, more RAM etc in the Pyra. Question is, will it be updated? Hard to tell when the damned thing isn't out yet.

And this is why I dit pree Preeorder:
The Waiting Time on the Pändörä gäve me some pretty cool time in the Internet:
I had lots of great discussion on the German Boards, I had the joy of every new Newspost, of this feeling „only 2 More Months (tm) „
Mybe this were the greatest 2 Months in my Life..
well the Device itself was also cool, ok maybe a bit slower than I expected and I had to work several things out , but even the past waiting time was quite fun..

I think most of the Peaple hear didn’t be that excited about the Device, more about the Community and the fun of this whole Project..
If there aren’t any Pandora, I wouldn’t maybe communicate whit other people on a International Board, I would spend my Time whit YouTube

Well...10 minutes ago I kickstarted the Topjoy Falcon (8" GPD pocket style machine, with backlit keyboard) - the campaign finishes tomorrow, and I think this is the one that most closely resembles my small PC requirements!

Link -
I think I'm still gonna hang on to the Pyra for now though - I still love the idea of the community and the incredible software that "could" be produced; and maybe I'm waiting for a reason to get back into retro gaming on the go?!
Plus it's still incredibly portable - and I might yet end up using it for telephony/4G services...... :D

Well...10 minutes ago I kickstarted the Topjoy Falcon (8" GPD pocket style machine, with backlit keyboard) - the campaign finishes tomorrow, and I think this is the one that most closely resembles my small PC requirements!

Link -
I think I'm still gonna hang on to the Pyra for now though - I still love the idea of the community and the incredible software that "could" be produced; and maybe I'm waiting for a reason to get back into retro gaming on the go?!
Plus it's still incredibly portable - and I might yet end up using it for telephony/4G services...... :D

How come you didn't go for the One Mix Yoga 2S?
Same thing except with a 7" screen , but with a much much faster processor

How come you didn't go for the One Mix Yoga 2S?
Same thing except with a 7" screen , but with a much much faster processor

I really wanted a backlit keyboard.
And the 8" screen should make it more usable than the 7", even though the device is slightly bigger as a result!

It's really a replacement for my Toshiba click mini pro (8.9" screen), which was a great hybrid netbook on paper, but in reality was treacly slow (atom Z3 CPU and 2Gb RAM with Win 10!).....and the N5000 silver Pentium is plenty fast enough for my needs :)

I used to love the many 8 to 10 inch netbooks that were on the market a decade ago, and then tablets happened and ruined everything :(

EDIT - pledge cancelled.
Note to self - don't surf for electronics when drunk and un-informed.
Hmmm......I think the Pyra delays are getting to me :$

Last edited:
What was the thing you found out that made you cancel?

It was a number of smaller things:-
- I'd forgotten about import duty/taxes (suddenly it's not quite the "bargain" you think)
- The warranty situation with it being a China device (and the type of PSU I would get!)
- A number of niggling issues were spotted by Liliputing, and I couldn't determine if they had been fixed (e.g. top heavy nature, and the wrong depth USB-C socket) -
- Non-removable battery & no SD/Micro SD card slots (not deal breakers by themselves)

I'll go back to waiting patiently (mostly) for my Pyra, and see what else comes out in the near future. These smaller netbook-style machines must be quite popular, since quite a few have appeared in the last year or 2...

Wrong thread?
IMO, no, the whole conversation about picking up a different pocket device from a growing competition is about people who are waiting for a Pyra now getting restless and considering jumping ship

IMO, no, the whole conversation about picking up a different pocket device from a growing competition is about people who are waiting for a Pyra now getting restless and considering jumping ship

ED will be more likely be monitoring the news thread unless someone points him here.

I'm hungry for any news too, but think it's unlikely we'll get anything approaching substantial this side of the new year. It's the busiest time of year when you have a shop, and many companies close between Christmas and New Year.

Be nice to be pleasantly surprised though :)

Ah yes, very true. Unfortunately, that a slightly more serious issue than the people in the other thread moaning that they've not had any new news for 3 weeks.

Ah yes, very true. Unfortunately, that a slightly more serious issue than the people in the other thread moaning that they've not had any new news for 3 weeks.
I think it isa really serious issue... You're maintaining the preorders count, and can already see a big down turn in the numbers.
I hate to sound negative, but in addition to the increased competition, people's lives are changing (we even have a thread about it).

I think it isa really serious issue... You're maintaining the preorders count, and can already see a big down turn in the numbers.
I hate to sound negative, but in addition to the increased competition, people's lives are changing (we even have a thread about it).

The news issue has just been addressed :)

Back