Q: Warranty At 800Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
worshippy-6x.gif

EvilDragon said:
Okay, now finally, my thoughts about overclocking / overvolting:

I don't think overclocking should void your warranty, as I don't think it will kill any CPU.
When it comes to OVERVOLTING, things are different. It can SURELY kill your CPU and it will be disabled in the kernel we provide.
It's basically like trying to use 12V instead of 5V in AC in. It will fry things and therefore, this should void warranty.

We need to investigate more about it, but that's my opinion.
Make sure to add to your consideration whether you are talking about North American warranty or European warranty, as we've now established their rules are different.
In Europe, if you say overvolt is against the rules, and person overvolts anyway, and 2 weeks later the USB port falls off, you are (apparently, if I understand Mali) still required to fix the USB port under warranty.
In North America, if the person overvolts, and the USB port falls off, you can simply say "overvolting voided your warranty, so no new USB port for you." This was my biggest concern from what Craig was saying, that overclock (or overvolt as the case may be) might prevent me from getting standard repairs unrelated to the CPU should the worst happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
People kept going back to the (real) Soup Nazi, didn't they? That's how I see craigix - better to take it not so seriously.

I pushed my GP2X to the limit constantly with overclocking and it never hurt it. This is all a storm in a teacup.

Chill out, dudes.

WizardStan, as I interpret the situation, you are basically importing Pandora from the UK, so European rules should apply. Just guessing, though.

ED makes great points, and as a nice guy, he avoided some: Some have admitted to being OK with destroying a device by their own actions, not taking responsibility, willing to lie to get it replaced by the manufacturer (and telling others they can too if they are willing to lie). It's ok, it's been done before.

Exophase said:
Now, about all of these threats of cancellation.

It's disgusting.

It is. Really totally out of line. Period. Vimacs maybe have posed a "thread" but it's his f*cking code and he can actually do with that what he wants until it's GPL'd. Which he did not AFAIK. So, if you want that stuff, threat him with respect.

And before anyone argue about more about "openness" please be aware that the pandora is actually not that "open" at all.
It's a "closed source" design that happens to run some GPL software.

EvilDragon said:
Holy moley, what's happening here?
Now, everyone, thanks for reading.
Let's all grab some nice warm cup of coffee, calm down a bit, and continue to work TOGETHER on our small little handheld instead of throwing insults around us, okay? :)

Thanks.

I said it before, and will say it again most likely, to one major painpoint of this project is decent communication.
Please have a decent chat behind the scene on how to tackle thing like this in the future as this thread shows it is quite a disaster area.

BackAssward said:
ED makes great points, and as a nice guy, he avoided some: Some have admitted to being OK with destroying a device by their own actions, not taking responsibility, willing to lie to get it replaced by the manufacturer (and telling others they can too if they are willing to lie). It's ok, it's been done before.
You still don't get it and never will. This thread is over now. I'm still waiting for your PM, though.

BackAssward said:
I fail to see the logic in "it's been done before" == "ok"

WizardStan said:
Make sure to add to your consideration whether you are talking about North American warranty or European warranty, as we've now established their rules are different.
In Europe, if you say overvolt is against the rules, and person overvolts anyway, and 2 weeks later the USB port falls off, you are (apparently, if I understand Mali) still required to fix the USB port under warranty.
In North America, if the person overvolts, and the USB port falls off, you can simply say "overvolting voided your warranty, so no new USB port for you." This was my biggest concern from what Craig was saying, that overclock (or overvolt as the case may be) might prevent me from getting standard repairs unrelated to the CPU should the worst happen.

Well, if you overvolt it and your USB port falls off (but your CPU is still working), why shouldn't it be covered by warranty? :)
I doubt that an USB port which falls off happens because of overvolting.

But if it fries the CPU and we have some way finding out it was overvolting... well, nothing that should be covered by warranty, should it?

Last edited:
BackAssward said:

c'mon, we had enough of that already. There's no way around such behaviour, it's average business risk. Unless you can come up with a valid solution, just trust the community.

Polossatik said:
I said it before, and will say it again most likely, to one major painpoint of this project is decent communication.
Please have a decent chat behind the scene on how to tackle thing like this in the future as this thread shows it is quite a disaster area.

Well, why I have to agree here, there are also some problems:

1. I get about three hours of sleep each day and don't even manage to finish all that I wanted on that day. There's so much work to do at the moment (eMails, OS bughunting, manual, etc.), I just don't have time to do a regular chat with the other ones. I guess it's the same for the rest: Michael has a lot of work to do to prepare the mass assembly, etc. We're all in different timezones, so that adds up to that. I do concentrate on working with the devs on the OS and let the others take care about the cases right now. Sadly, there just isn't time for meeting and chatting. Sometimes I even don't manage to check my eMails...

2. Even if we would talk about things regularly: Most of the time people demand very quick responses here, usually within hours (otherwise this thread will escalate). So we would have to meet up and chat about things every few hours to prevent threads like this escalate. If some people didn't demand immediate respondes from craig, we could've talked about this via mail and give a response one or two days later... which would be WAY too late for most people here.

Last edited:
omg i read most of this. posting by all. evildragon to save the day tho :)
I guess this is what happens when you open pandoras box

thanks good night...

Mali, your name seems well chosen. Mal = bad. Your posting seems designed to generate bad feelings among the readers.

The arm processor if overclocked by software will experience instability (crash) long before it can experience thermal damage to its integrity.

The intel x86 processor family if overclocked will generate core temperatures that can and will cause the ball grid array (bga) package to melt the solder connecting it to the mother board. The temperature's of normal use require air cooling, overclocking seriously requires liquid cooling or gas phase cooling.

If you don't think for an instant that a technician cannot determine that you opened the case and modified something electrically you are living in denial.

Craig point blank stated that software 'overclocking' does not pose a threat to the safe operation of the arm chip, this is true and correct.

You said that intel and arm processor's share identical thermal characteristics, this makes you at best ignorant, at worst willfully dissembling.

Grow up, or at the very least learn not to posture on the internet that you have knowledge that you clearly do not have.

Seriously if they sell you a defective product I expect they will fix it in the warranty period.
IF you want to practice your elite electronics skillz on the device and hack it's hardware, good luck and I hope it works out. If you fry it, man up and don't try to steal from the manufacturers.

Belthos

Over 15 years experience in component level electronics repair in my previous employment.
It may not be impossible to open a device and modify it without leaving a trace, but in my experience it's damn near impossible.

Sphinxter said:
Thanks for the voice of sanity ED. Maybe calling Godwin will put it in perspective and end this thread of doom;
soupnazi.jpg

Quirk's Exception to Godwin's Law: Godwin's Law does not apply when invoked for the purpose of ending a debate.

Attachments

• soupnazi.jpg
    soupnazi.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 104
belthos said:
Mali, your name seems well chosen. Mal = bad. Mali = Troll.

The arm processor if overclocked by software will experience instability (crash) long before it can experience thermal damage to its integrity.

The intel x86 processor family if overclocked will generate core temperatures that can and will cause the ball grid array (bga) package to melt the solder connecting it to the mother board. The temperature's of normal use require air cooling, overclocking seriously requires liquid cooling or gas phase cooling.

If you don't think for an instant that a technician cannot determine that you opened the case and modified something electrically you and living in denial.

Craig point blank stated that software 'overclocking' does not pose a threat to the safe operation of the arm chip, this is true and correct.

You said that intel and arm processor's share identical thermal characteristics, this makes you at best ignorant, at worst willfully dissembling.

Grow up, or at the very least learn not to posture on the internet that you have knowledge that you clearly do not have.

Seriously if they sell you a defective product I expect they will fix it in the warranty period.
IF you want to practice your elite electronics skillz on the device and hack it's hardware, good luck and I hope it works out. If you fry it, man up and don't try to steal from the manufacturers.

Belthos

Over 15 years experience in component level electronics repair in my previous employment.
It may not be impossible to open a device and modify it without leaving a trace, but in my experience it's damn near impossible.
Okay, how much of this thread did you actually read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back