Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

Of course you can. Use the monitor - press ctrl-alt (or start+select on the pandora) and 2. Press start+select+1 to exit. Bear in mind that emulation continues to run when the monitor is open.

The refer to this handy guide:

http://en.wikibooks....ki/QEMU/Monitor

Edit: Ninja'd :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
Actually I found a way of changing the cdrom images...

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-2 keys together will get you into the qemu monitor a command console for qemu. Ctrl-Alt-1 will get you back to the emulator..

To change a CDROM image you need to eject the current ISO and load another ..

I found the CDROM device is called ide1-cd0 . I figured this out by typing: info block.

so you need to eject the cdrom image so type:

Code:
eject ide1-cd0

To mount another image you just need to run this command, point to the image you want to mount.

Code:
change ide1-cd0 /mnt/utmp/qemu/images/Starcraft.iso

you can apply the same method for floppy images. The block name for that is floppy0
Just posting it again for people to see.. going back to a previous page is troublesome for some.

Ah, completely forgot about the console ;) Didn't use it a lot.

Ah now i renember this thx,i thougt about one Feature like this and anywhere i readed this,but forgott ^_^

Yeah cool Idea but i never used this Feature,because i never needed this.

Maybe in Future :)

so I just started messing with Qemu today. Tried formating an image in Dos from my boot ISO. I was able to FDisk it but when I try to type

format c:

I can not get ":" to type to screen. The key works in alll other programs and I can make a '.' and '>' but no ":"

so I just started messing with Qemu today. Tried formating an image in Dos from my boot ISO. I was able to FDisk it but when I try to type

format c:

I can not get ":" to type to screen. The key works in alll other programs and I can make a '.' and '>' but no ":"

See post #525 in this thread:

You have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";"

Hadn't read THAT far yet ;-) I really had not seen it and searching for ":" doesn't work well.

Thank you.

Ha, no worries, no one is going to hold that against you.

And it IS a super annoying issue that bites everyone.

OK I now have DOS 6 running (Easy) after learning to do "virtually everything".

Just got WFW311 going, Nostalgia..... Got trapped with the PageOverCommit error on starting. Something my old 64MBRAM never encountered.

Add this to your System.ini for those who don't know.

Find the [386Enh] section and add

PageOverCommit=1

Anything like it? Otherwise this is a blast to the past! Forgot how much DOS I forgot.... I tried running DSL and it looked UGLY even after all the setup. Booted SLOW. How much memory does Qemu use? Cause I had to give 420 MB RAM to it for WFW311 Setup to even run. Glad I have a Rebirth Edition....
Seems very odd to me, I never tried WFW 3.11 but Win98 and I never gave Qemu more than 120 MB RAM for a virtual machine. Afaik Ingoreis tried WFW 3.11 and never mentioned that (and he only has the 256MB Version of the Pandora)

Slackland had made a Video with Windows3.11 here :)

http://www.vidup.de/v/Mtp9p/

I never tried Windows3.11 because i dont have it :rolleyes:

DSL and other Linuxes tried i but have found no good way yet to release a Qemu Image with then for you all :rolleyes:

and you can Quit every Qemu Windows when you press on your Pandora CTRL+ALT+F

Now you can close your Window

and i found a another way for the doublepoint :

use a German Version and press Shift+: or was it Shift+/ ? One of these must work ^_^

ok, WFW311 works great. Still could not get Win98 to setup on the Pandora. It would always freeze on one of the early progress bars; 1% or 13% or 17%.

I am trying Qemu Manager on Windows and so far the installation is going as it would on any old computer.

OK I finished a very Lengthy process of installing Win98 using the wiki instructions for a PC (very careful and specific on every setting). Basic installation went and then Plug&Play and then a final reboot.

Again FAILED; just like the quick install on the Pandora. A Black frozen screen with a dash in the upper left right after the initial Win98 Logo.

Wow so many Problems,i will try to help :)

The Setup.exe will not run unless I have memory set to 420MB
Choose you 420MB Ram or 420MB for the HDD?

When first,then why 420MB Ram?The Pandora have only 128MB i set it ever to 128MB Ram

When Second,then choose more HDD RAM 420MB is few,i choose 3-4GB for a Image with Windows95.

The qcow2 Format use only the Place that it needs realy.

So a 4GB Image can maybe with installed Windows have realy Size ~300MB

128MB gave me memory errors every time I try to run the Setup
have you run the xmsmmgr.exe before?its important

Have you copied the windows98 setup Files to your HD Image?

I recommend to copy the Setup Files to the Image and run the Installation from the HDD Image.

maybe it help the command:

setup /is

then it starts no scandisk and directly start installing

I had to go into the Qemu Version Editor and change to "0.12 or newer" and I set the Description to "Qemu 0.14"
hmm this is strange,in my Qemu Manager for Windows can i choose the Version 0.14.1

here a Screenschot:

4pp9bkai.jpg

Again FAILED; just like the quick install on the Pandora. A Black frozen screen with a dash in the upper left right after the initial Win98 Logo.
I the Qemu beginning Time i had this often because i installed Windows with the WRONG Qemu Version.

It it very important that you use the Version 0.14.1 not 0.14 on Qemu Manager

I know it is hard to get Windows98 working,but when it works,it works little slow but well.

Maybe you have to try with your Image the windows safe mode,write plz that the safe mode works or not and

give it more time to boot,when you see the blinking cursor wait 20-30 seconds ago,maybe it works then too.

I let not hang you when you need help,write your Problems and maybe i have tips or solutions ^_^

Here another Tip,maybe you could use this Qemu Version for your Qemu Manager7

http://lassauge.free...dows-Medium.zip

(this is the Version we use for Pandora too)

Kosmos said:
HMMM I installed the 15.1 version and did the Win98-install. All went well until the final boot again. After the Win98 boot logo I get a blank screen with a white dash in the upper left corner. I used F5 at the boot console to go to the command prompt and noticed again when I type "win" I get an error to make sure that Himem.sys is in the C:\windows directory... Which it IS! I am leaving it on the blank screen for a while. OOOOH after quite some time of blackness I get the Win98 Time/Date setup.

Let us see what happens....

So far the install went ok in WindowsXP and I am looking at a working win98 install. Time to move it to the Pandora... Booting on the Pandora. OOOPS Blue Screen Error. Something about Child Devices and 32bit drivers. And something else about rebooting into compatibility mode...

I got a baaaad feeling about this....

Win98 Logo then the famed Blank Black screen with the white dash!

I am finished here...

You know, This is exactly why some of us hate other OSes! I got Win311 working. All I wanted was a port of Xiphos for the Pandora (A Bible program). Wfw311 will at least give me Quickverse 4. And the speed is decent.

Just tried using Symantec Ghost to put an image of 98 on the Pandora. Went well mostly and I finally got to the desktop. Passed the Bios issue. Had flaky-but-sort-of-working touchscreen. Deleted a desktop icon. Rebooted...... AGAIN locked up at the Win98 logo. 256MB RAM set up. And it was 420MB RAM for setup.exe to work.

Unless someone recognizes this and has overcome.... I will just use wfw311 and wait for a port of Xiphos.

Back to Linux! This is why I tried RedHat back in the 90s but the setup was a bit more than I was ready for due to living in an all M$ neighborhood with no-one to call for help or mentoring Tux-style....

I like my Pandora and don't even mind Angstrom - I do not, however, particularly care for M$.... Didn't then and the feeling is more-so now.

I DO Thank You Mcorbit for the port and it has been helpful getting wfw311 going.

Good work mcorbit. My holy grail of hand held computing is to play Total Anihilation on the Pandora.

We'll after following the wiki and finally remembering I had to fdisk and format the virtual disk, I got TA to run.

Unfortuately it's unplayable at 950MHz. Shame.

Does Windows 95 have a proper IDE controller driver compatible to Qemu? My install claims to that all my drives are in MS-DOS compatibility mode.. not sure if this is negatively effecting drive performance..

Back