Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

hahahaha :lol: coool ^_^

Good News :D

Exactly this Version of Game of Life have i here in German (realy realy)and i had tested it.

Its playable but works only in 800x600 but the Qemu fullscreen Mode can only handle 640x480.

I tried to run it in Qemu Windowed Mode and a little little stuttering is there but with Sound works fine ;)

Clou may work but this Game must i test to say that.

I will test it tommorow,because its late today.

I Report it then here in this thread :)

see you then ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, again I have big trouble with QEMU. Elder Scrolls Area DRDOS Version doesn't work properly. It ends with a black screen after char generating and the text dialouges with the woman in the Sky. It also auto skips through the Intro scroll and this text stuff. I also can't save anything. Can someone test the game and if it works tell the settings? It's annoying not to have any eror messages.

Because you said that i had testet only if the Game starts,but i had no played this.

Now i tested this up to 10 Times and ever the Same Error like yours.

Another User gave me the Tip to get EMS Memory working with Jemmex.exe.

Maybe this Tip work not perfectly.

Maybe it was a copy error,i will make a new Image and report this here.

When you want to use your own Himen.sys and Emm386.exe you can copy the Emm386.exe from a shared folder to the Image

must then type nearly this

cd ..

d:

copy himem.sys c:.

copy Emm386.exe c:.

c:

copy con config.sys

device=c:himem.sys

device=c:emm386.exe M9

(now press the Key F6)

That was it,but i have a legaly Idea to solve this for you.

First i try to make an Image again,maybe it was simple a Copy error :)

Edit: Ok It seems to be a Dos Memory Error,i will work on that

I'm still not having any real success getting this to do much for me to be honest. I'll list briefly how I've gotten on with some of the available images

DRDos - loads ok, but can't get a colon ( :) to navigate to my shared folder

Freedos (new English version) - hangs halfway through booting, gets to "loading from hard disk" message then no further

ReactOS (new English version) - loads fine, but won't recognise my shared folder.

My shared folder is simply the games folder in my dosbox directory, that's the link I use. Anyone have any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? I only want to run some old games like Syndicate and Theme Park.... ;)

How to make a colon is addressed noumerous times in this thread and in this thread.

You have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";"

is there any errormessage in /tmp/pnd_runqemu.out file?

I've read the tips for typing a colon, but I can't get them to work(so apologies for repeating myself there). In DrDos, there doesn't seem to be a keyb command, so I can't change the language, and in the version of Freedos I got working previous, there was no italian or English keyboard language file included.

I'll try get a pnd_run out file at the weekend, I'm just going off what I can remember at present!

Hi i fixed the EnglishFreedos Image Version,it should work now.

The Elder Scrolls Images have i removed,because the Tip with Jemmex and EMS Memory makes Problems,

that i cannot solve for now. :(

It seems Jemmex use the EMS Memory ,but not 100% correctly.

I give not up to make ElderScrolls Arena for you,but we have the good old Memory Problems.

Here see you that its possible and i played this under my own MSDOS with the "Emm386.exe M9" Command. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dMxjLz-1zMU?feature=oembed

Clue works but very very slowly,its not realy playable at this Speed :rolleyes:

and here is a playable Demoverion of Mega Man X Runns well on Pandora for you all

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/qemu-images/DRDOSMegaManXDemo.rar

My shared folder is simply the games folder in my dosbox directory, that's the link I use. Anyone have any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? I only want to run some old games like Syndicate and Theme Park.... ;)
There are some limitations regarding the shared folder. If I remember it correctly there was a size restriction (~500MB ?), so maybe try a new folder and only copy one or two games in it for testing. The files and folders inside the shared folder also need to follow the requirements of the emulated OS - I don't know about DR/FreeDOS, but at least under MS-DOS file/directorynames can't be longer than 8 characters (+3 chars for the extension).

Oh and better not to use any whitespaces in foldernames

I already had my filenames and folders configured back to 8characters and no spaces for use in Dosbox. I'll recheck the size of that folder to see if it's too large. thanks for the help!

Because you said that i had testet only if the Game starts,but i had no played this.

Now i tested this up to 10 Times and ever the Same Error like yours.

Another User gave me the Tip to get EMS Memory working with Jemmex.exe.

Maybe this Tip work not perfectly.

Maybe it was a copy error,i will make a new Image and report this here.

When you want to use your own Himen.sys and Emm386.exe you can copy the Emm386.exe from a shared folder to the Image

must then type nearly this

cd ..

d:

copy himem.sys c:.

copy Emm386.exe c:.

c:

copy con config.sys

device=c:himem.sys

device=c:emm386.exe M9

(now press the Key F6)

That was it,but i have a legaly Idea to solve this for you.

First i try to make an Image again,maybe it was simple a Copy error :)

Edit: Ok It seems to be a Dos Memory Error,i will work on that
Nice, so the shared Folder (yes, I have one defined) is internal handled as drive d: ?

However, it was basicly just an experiment. maybe Elder Scrolls works some day to be really playable but even not, I still can play it on PC with DOSBox. Maybe it is even playable on Pandora with the new, improved DOSBox?

Are there any Speed comparisons between Qemu and DosBox?

Yes the shared Folders are under Dos d:

I had not testet the new DosBox Version yet,when my Pandora is repaired,i will test it.

Mcobit have tested the Game Riddle of Master Lu and he said me,that the

Game under Dosbox sometimes had little slowdowns.

The same Game under Qemu is generally a little bit slower,but therfore no slowdowns.

Other Tests or Comparson are welcome :)

I think it so that you cannot generally say what is faster.

Sometimes Dosbox and sometimes Qemu :rolleyes:

Trying is all ^_^

Dont forget,when you want help,i will try to help how i can and when you found a

DosDemo or Freewaregame(no abbandonware) i try to make a Image for all Users then :)

Congratulations on winning the Rebirth Competition (according to my calculations) thanks for all your hard work with QEMU and providing the images on the wiki page.

Just one request, when uploading an image to the wiki would it be possible to include a note of which language the game is in? Sadly, my German is nowhere near as good as your English. :p

Congratulations on winning the Rebirth Competition (according to my calculations) thanks for all your hard work with QEMU and providing the images on the wiki page.

Just one request, when uploading an image to the wiki would it be possible to include a note of which language the game is in? Sadly, my German is nowhere near as good as your English. :p

Wow thx for all,i cannot belive it yet :)

I will change the Image names on the Pwiki in what Languages the are ;)

All thx for your Votes but that Projekt is never over,

because we find ever any new Freeware or Demos to release for you all.

:D

Many thx from Mcobit,me and all the Betatesters :D

How do I change the boot order of the emulated drives so that the floppy drive is tried first?

I'm installing MS-Dos 6.22. With a freshly created HDD image, the VM boots from from my Dos floppy image. I can then create the Dos partition on the HDD with fdisk. After creating and activating my Dos partition, fdisk forces a reboot of the VM. During the reboot the HDD is checked first, but there is no OS on the HDD yet, just the Dos partition and the VM hangs there with the message 'No operating system found'. I can't get the VM to boot from the floppy image again to allow me to format the HDD.

Has anybody been able to install MS-Dos?

igboo

How do I change the boot order of the emulated drives so that the floppy drive is tried first?

I'm installing MS-Dos 6.22. With a freshly created HDD image, the VM boots from from my Dos floppy image. I can then create the Dos partition on the HDD with fdisk. After creating and activating my Dos partition, fdisk forces a reboot of the VM. During the reboot the HDD is checked first, but there is no OS on the HDD yet, just the Dos partition and the VM hangs there with the message 'No operating system found'. I can't get the VM to boot from the floppy image again to allow me to format the HDD.

igboo

Answering my own question... adding this parameter in the start up GUI does the trick :

-boot order=ac

This causes the VM to boot from the floppy a: and then the HDD c:

I now have a VM running Dos 6.22c... On to some testing. B)

igboo

Answering my own question... adding this parameter in the start up GUI does the trick :

-boot order=ac

This causes the VM to boot from the floppy a: and then the HDD c:

I now have a VM running Dos 6.22c... On to some testing. B)

I add simply then the Command

-boot a

its easier :)

Happy testing

Is it possible to switch media (ie CD iso's or floppy images) during installs etc.?

Besides setting up on PC to create the images?

Actually I found a way of changing the cdrom images...

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-2 keys together will get you into the qemu monitor a command console for qemu. Ctrl-Alt-1 will get you back to the emulator..

To change a CDROM image you need to eject the current ISO and load another ..

I found the CDROM device is called ide1-cd0 . I figured this out by typing: info block.

so you need to eject the cdrom image so type:

Code:
eject ide1-cd0

To mount another image you just need to run this command, point to the image you want to mount.

Code:
change ide1-cd0 /mnt/utmp/qemu/images/Starcraft.iso

you can apply the same method for floppy images. The block name for that is floppy0

Back