Question about battery life

Nitrozzy7

Still Fresh
Hi!

Can you tell me how long will the battery last after a full charge while playing on full load? I'm asking this because I've read on the stats that the battery lasts about 10 hours but it wasn't specified under how much load...

Eight to ten hours is about how long it lasts under full load. I find that it gives this with the screen at full brightness, too. If I'm not doing stuff like gaming all the time, and just doing general computing (writing and listening to music, for example), it will last longer. With a mix of these things I've typically gotten twelve or so hours out of it on one charge. I get less if I leave the WiFi on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ircing while watching TV last night for about 2 hours and only dropped 20%. I had turned the screen as low as it could go without being off, but otherwise it was running normal. So an estimated 10 hours of minor usage even with wifi connected. Web browsing I don't expect would use up much more than IRC.

If I had been doing something more intense I would expect no more than half that. Like, Quake 2 network game probably wouldn't have lasted much more than 5 or 6 hours.

Wifi on for web browsing (downloading files), screen brightness low, and volume low while listening to music via audacious I'm figuring about 9 hours battery life.

Overclocked to 700MHz and playing PS1 games, I can't physically bring myself to neglect other things more then 6 hours. Usually get in a couple hours of music before finding it's below 30% and put it on the charger.

So battery life under most real life conditions so far (for me) have been pretty solid. Nitrozzy7, you should also note the system's power management just based on the posts here show how much more development can (and likely will) happen in the future so assume you haven't ordered one yet expect then it would be fair to expect considerably better life by the time yours arrives.

with default settings (WiFi off, brightness a bit lower than full), it should hold about 12 - 14 hours when not doing any CPU intensive stuf.

So battery life under most real life conditions so far (for me) have been pretty solid. Nitrozzy7, you should also note the system's power management just based on the posts here show how much more development can (and likely will) happen in the future so assume you haven't ordered one yet expect then it would be fair to expect considerably better life by the time yours arrives.
Since the original question was 'full load' this isn't likely to improve much. However, it depends what full load is (game running smoothly, or frame dropping at 95% cpu), over-clocking, wireless, external USB, etc, etc. Like my phone can drain the battery in maybe an hour with sat-nav on.

You should still be good for 5 hours, unless you have an external HDD, but less than 4 hours would take some doing. Generally, it's very good... Watching video might be a good test-case, I'm sure someone will bother to log some numbers and add to the wiki...

Since the original question was 'full load' this isn't likely to improve much. However, it depends what full load is (game running smoothly, or frame dropping at 95% cpu), over-clocking, wireless, external USB, etc, etc. Like my phone can drain the battery in maybe an hour with sat-nav on.

You should still be good for 5 hours, unless you have an external HDD, but less than 4 hours would take some doing. Generally, it's very good... Watching video might be a good test-case, I'm sure someone will bother to log some numbers and add to the wiki...
Thnx!

It's truly remarkable... 4 hours under full load? WOW! I was expecting the same with a Netbook (which is about 1 hour). But what about the temperature of the battery? Is it getting really hot? I'm asking this because I know that some LiPo batteries can get dangerous under full load... I don't want it to burst into a fireball when it's On F-I-RE! lol

Can anyone tell me if the price is gonna drop below 300EUR? Maybe 299EUR? It's psychological...

tsh, because a "full load" is an ambiguous statement, since few if anyone is really concerned with obtaining a full load rather then a realistic one based on their maximum usage pattern, and because I come across a lot of people on the GameFAQs PSP forums that don't mean what they say, I figured adding some further thoughts based on someone's experience could help. Seems others, while more willing to giving more detailed information, felt similar noting Alerino's posts.

tsh, because a "full load" is an ambiguous statement, since few if anyone is really concerned with obtaining a full load rather then a realistic one based on their maximum usage pattern, and because I come across a lot of people on the GameFAQs PSP forums that don't mean what they say, I figured adding some further thoughts based on someone's experience could help. Seems others, while more willing to giving more detailed information, felt similar noting Alerino's posts.
Don't assume that because I post a lot i have any authority here!

More examples are always good - particularly if they are specific (e.g. actually playing video for 8 hours is more informative than checking the battery gauge).

Several reviews have mentioned the amazing battery life - it says 20% remaining (but also 1:55 run time!). This is real, but it still makes me smile!

Concerning battery life it's great as other have mentioned. This is mainly due to the huge battery and of course ARM architecture... still power saving could be better. When in low power mode it only gets about 24h. So if you leave the Pandora in low power mode for 12h the battery would have already dropped 50%. Obviously shutting it down is a good way around this and definitely necessary if you're not using it for a prolonged period.

Just to compare with a nokia n800 (1500mha battery vs the Pandora 4000mha) you easily get a few days in standby.

WizardStan> You doing some Iracing, that's cool. I have been into it at one point... won some races at rookie level but I've gradually stopped running... it takes quite a lot of time and motivation.
Actually, I think he meant going on the IRC channel.

Does overclocking to 800Mhz without overvolting above OPP3 reduce battery life?

Yes, because it's like if you were to sprint for 1km, non-stop without steroids you'd still be tired after the run.
Sorry, I don't understand the analogy...

I recall reading that only overvolting will decrease battery life so by this logic you can overclock to 800mhz while remaining on OPP3 and not have reduced battery life.

The Pandora wiki also mentions: "At the moment, there is no clear advantage in slowing the clocks (other than being an effective pause button when playing MP3). The only [power] saving is through disabling the radios." From this page: http://pandorawiki.org/Power_modes

Over-volting or/and over-clocking will reduce your battery life.
Sorry, I edited my post before seeing your reply. What about what the wiki mentions about "no clear advantage in slowing the clocks"?

Back