Question about the pandora...

patch950

Still Fresh
Is it possible to disable Firefox on it? because i want to try and get one only if i can disable the internet browser :wacko:

I was trying to see if i can get enough money for a Pandora but i wont get it unless i can disable the internet browser, a teenager doesnt need a internet browser he can take anywhere.... :|

That's certainly a strange question.

The software that comes with it will be minimal, Firefox (or another browser) probably won't be installed by default.

0wnage said:
I was trying to see if i can get enough money for a Pandora but i wont get it unless i can disable the internet browser, a teenager doesnt need a internet browser he can take anywhere.... :|
Perhaps you could explain why. Unless, you're implying what I think you're implying in which case you'd be better off looking into disabling the net completely on the device.

Worst case, I'm sure you could always change the permissions on the profile directory to make it impossible to write to.

It runs Linux..if you have any experience with that you would know that every aspect is customizable.
Simply removing all connections besides loopback would completely disable all internet connections :D
Or...simply not installing a browser does the trick too, that way you can still use stuff like package managers..

Ok thanks i talked to my bro and he knows Alot about Linux and he said you can disable the browser if the person wants to give up admin rights to the device so i could have my own profile and have another be a admin so the other profile cant use Firefox but still have internet for the games.

Problem is, if the user is savvy enough he could just download a copy of Firefox into his account and run it locally, skipping the system version entirely.

That's just one example too. If you've got a technically wise person you're trying to lock out, you're going to have your hands full.

Very true. Trying to lock somebody out of Linux doesn't really work without full drive encryption, disabling booting from alternate drives, etc (which is probably near-impossible or impossible, hardware modding aside, due to the Pandora's brick-proofing).

javaJake said:
Problem is, if the user is savvy enough he could just download a copy of Firefox into his account and run it locally, skipping the system version entirely.

That's just one example too. If you've got a technically wise person you're trying to lock out, you're going to have your hands full.

Is it not a trivial thing to restrict a users network access? It won't matter he/she has a browser, if they cannot get online to use it.

What Capn_Fish says is correct. If the user has physical access to the hardware, they can do whatever they want to at boot time. Default login as root, boot from a different device..

If you want to give your teenager a device without internet access, I suggest finding a device without wifi.

The GP2X Wiz doesnt have internet as far as I know? Maybe get him that one, and save some money and all the ordering hassle too.

Back