Google Chrome

mr.mike said:
ashdjones said:
Watch out for stored passwords, they're completely visible through the options.

mr.mike said:
google is evil
chrome constantly sents information to their servers, no matter what you do. thats the reason they have a browser. that should be enough reason not to use chrome!
Is there any proof for this?

yes there is
they published a list somewhere that tells exactly what information is being sent. <b>i just need to...google it...</b>
here you go
http://www.golem.de/0809/62171.html
its in german tho
that is just too funny. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
FRZ said:
mr.mike said:
ashdjones said:
Watch out for stored passwords, they're completely visible through the options.

mr.mike said:
google is evil
chrome constantly sents information to their servers, no matter what you do. thats the reason they have a browser. that should be enough reason not to use chrome!
Is there any proof for this?

yes there is
they published a list somewhere that tells exactly what information is being sent. <b>i just need to...google it...</b>
here you go
http://www.golem.de/0809/62171.html
its in german tho
that is just too funny. LOL

I don't get what's so funny? I can't even read it... hang on, i'll put it through Google Translator.

dontspam said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, tldr, but Chrome sounds awesome!.

Yeah, I posted that.

You know, it reminds me of a video I saw a couple of years ago about how google would slowly develop to rule the world and every information about everyone would be freely available, they called it "glass persons" or something

been at least 2 years

Ha, yeah GoogleEarth isn't just a program you know, it's a vision of the future.

I know Facebook has similar clauses about photos and other things you upload (and I'm sure a number of other sites do to), but I think this is taking it too far. There is a difference between a few pictures of me at the beach and at parties, than everything I push though my browser.

And plus I'd have to wait for any extensions that I currently use in Firefox to be re-made for Chrome. So then after a few months I can use something that is pretty much exactly the same as what I have now. Woo.

What does :% do? I already uninstalled chrome after the user interface made me puke with the lack of... everything! It's so minimalistic it became ugly.

PSyMastR said:
What does :% do? I already uninstalled chrome after the user interface made me puke with the lack of... everything! It's so minimalistic it became ugly.
I brings up this window:

GoogleChromeCrash.jpg

Ha, I hope they leave in that feature! Good find WarmFluffyUK.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Try typing :% into the address bar :)
Would that give me the ability to crash google by launching a new windows with the address as :%
I supposed this could be done via javascript and a fake link on a website. This is great. One more reason to not like Google. And for those that think Google would use open standards at it gets to be a big monopoly are not thinking about it. They will be in a position to "drive the standards".

I think their ultimate goal is to make applications all web based and turn your machine into a basically a terminal. No more owning a license for unlimited use of an application, you will have to rent applications. That has long been a dream of MS and now Google. I like the idea of being able to use my computer locally and store my files securely, locally and I don't need a web server to back up my data, thats why I have a dvd-RW.
Google has been responsible for a man being executed in China and I think they were involved in one other case where they gave governments information about users they didn't have to (as an American corp). They caught a lot of flak about those 2 cases.

For those who want a faster browser than firefox, I highly recommend Apple's Safari web browser. It's very fast, uses open standards and it is very compatible. My ONLY gripe with Safari is that it doesn't work on Windows 2000 which is what I have on my desktop and plan on keeping. XP is no better than 2000, but is slower, plus I can't afford XP-pro. Windows Vista sux, BAD. I have it on my laptop because that's what it came with. When I stop being lazy, I'm going to find xp or 2k drivers for my hardware and get rid of Vista.

Chris

christo930 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Would that give me the ability to crash google by launching a new windows with the address as :%
I supposed this could be done via javascript and a fake link on a website. This is great. One more reason to not like Google. And for those that think Google would use open standards at it gets to be a big monopoly are not thinking about it. They will be in a position to "drive the standards".

I think their ultimate goal is to make applications all web based and turn your machine into a basically a terminal. No more owning a license for unlimited use of an application, you will have to rent applications. That has long been a dream of MS and now Google. I like the idea of being able to use my computer locally and store my files securely, locally and I don't need a web server to back up my data, thats why I have a dvd-RW.
Google has been responsible for a man being executed in China and I think they were involved in one other case where they gave governments information about users they didn't have to (as an American corp). They caught a lot of flak about those 2 cases.

For those who want a faster browser than firefox, I highly recommend Apple's Safari web browser. It's very fast, uses open standards and it is very compatible. My ONLY gripe with Safari is that it doesn't work on Windows 2000 which is what I have on my desktop and plan on keeping. XP is no better than 2000, but is slower, plus I can't afford XP-pro. Windows Vista sux, BAD. I have it on my laptop because that's what it came with. When I stop being lazy, I'm going to find xp or 2k drivers for my hardware and get rid of Vista.

Chris

I still use stuff like Paint Shop Pro 7 and Cool Edit. I could buy the latest versions of PhotoShop and Vegas but I can't be arsed learning a new app when these ones do all I need.

R.I.P the Chinese guy Google killed though. Of all the ways to get killed being lazy about your browser choice is quite far down my list. Googling for ways to die is last.

Personally I really do dislike Google, Microsoft and Apple. Just typing that is like having a bad case of Tourette's.

Google wants to know what you browse, search and email so it can, for example, work out when you are likely to book a holiday, where you might go, how much you might spend and pre-empt it by placing ads in front of you. That is why they keep developing free apps, so that they get your details and tastes one way or another. And what about their cookies, before they were forced to change them? For those reasons, I'm out. I won't be downloading. Not even to even try it. I run FF with NoScript with Google blacklisted.

christo930 said:
(Google's) goal is to take over the world and push people out of the way and make operating systems spyware, just something to get google and their apps and their affiliates up on everything, everwhere.
Chris, I've taken the liberty of 'correcting' your previous post, hope you like it. ;)

Unfathomable Depths said:
christo930 said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

Chris

I still use stuff like Paint Shop Pro 7 and Cool Edit. I could buy the latest versions of PhotoShop and Vegas but I can't be arsed learning a new app when these ones do all I need.

I'm like you, I don't upgrade my software for the hell of it. If a program or OS meets my needs, I see no need to spend more money for a new program or new version for features I don't want or need, it will probably be slower and might possibly have bugs affecting the functionality that I am used to. I use a very old version of NERO, but it has svcd (mpeg 2) encoding as well as mpeg 1 encoding. It's fast and meets my needs well. I use a version of Agent that's over 10 years old, it works fine, I know how to use it well and see no reason to upgrade. There's a few other too, as well as Windows 2k.

R.I.P the Chinese guy Google killed though. Of all the ways to get killed being lazy about your browser choice is quite far down my list. Googling for ways to die is last.

I guess it might be a bad choice of words to say google killed him, but they gave the Chinese government information that they didn't have to give them that was used to convict and execute a citizen. They also block a lot of the web from the Chinese people if you access google from China. For example, if you type in "tank man" into google's search, it will bring up articles of the Tienneman sqaure massacre, where as if you access google from China, it doesn't bring up any hits.

Chris

A pro-Google note:

1) The source code is completely available with BSD licensing, so it really is an open-source product.
2) They changed the EULA/TOS to not own everything you post with it.

So that's a pretty quick response on #2, and #1 means that they really are giving it to the community. I'm satisfied, myself; I'll start using it at home on my Windows partition.

WarmFluffyUK said:
You got me . . . it's fairly annoying that it doesn't save the session like Firefox 3 during a crash.

I don't think I'll be switching over any time soon, I like the premise but the lack of rss feeds and extension support (Adblock Plus anyone?) is too great of a cost imo.

Guy's I wouldn't be jumping around pointing out its faults and exploits(which are more unintentional Easter Eggs that crash it)
It is still beta ;)

vputz said:
A pro-Google note:

1) The source code is completely available with BSD licensing, so it really is an open-source product.
2) They changed the EULA/TOS to not own everything you post with it.

So that's a pretty quick response on #2, and #1 means that they really are giving it to the community. I'm satisfied, myself; I'll start using it at home on my Windows partition.
Oh good - thats alright then. I will trust them now then. Not.
If I take this leopard and give it a good scrub, maybe the spots will disapear.

Have you ever used Google Analytics? Please insert this code into your web pages and we'll tell you some of the information it helps us to gather about every single visit to every page on your site, which we will then use for our advertising schemes. Look at all the apps they have, how much of your computing tasks it would cover and think about all the different angles they have. And they keep it. Email, news, spreadsheets and documents, which places you are interested in (maps/earth).

Kloplop321 said:
Guy's I wouldn't be jumping around pointing out its faults and exploits(which are more unintentional Easter Eggs that crash it)
It is still beta ;)
Google's stuff is always in beta - that so you can't complain about anything. ;)

TaG said:

Sigh.

The reason this doesn't make me bring out my tinfoil hat is that, since the full source IS available, we will have forks fairly soon, doubtless including mods that remove the traffic to/from Google. So the upshot is that we will fairly soon have another completely free browser based on Chrome that includes the technological advancements Google provided and minus their traffic.

They have contributed an enormous amount of code to the public. This is bad how? I'm under no delusions that Google doesn't have a profit motive in there somehow, but while I don't "trust" gmail/googleApps/googleAnalytics with horrible secrets, for the vast majority of the uses I'm willing to risk that they will see my uber-secret shopping lists in trade for the convenience. No one truly provides something for nothing.

I trust Chrome more than IE, that's for certain. At least I can look under the hood.

vputz said:
TaG said:

Sigh.

The reason this doesn't make me bring out my tinfoil hat is that, since the full source IS available, we will have forks fairly soon, doubtless including mods that remove the traffic to/from Google. So the upshot is that we will fairly soon have another completely free browser based on Chrome that includes the technological advancements Google provided and minus their traffic.

They have contributed an enormous amount of code to the public. This is bad how? I'm under no delusions that Google doesn't have a profit motive in there somehow, but while I don't "trust" gmail/googleApps/googleAnalytics with horrible secrets, for the vast majority of the uses I'm willing to risk that they will see my uber-secret shopping lists in trade for the convenience. No one truly provides something for nothing.

I trust Chrome more than IE, that's for certain. At least I can look under the hood.

:) . My centiments on the subject exactly!

ljones

vputz said:
I don't disagree with this. When somebody has checked / cleansed it I might well be interested. In the meantime I'll stick with FF. Google does create good spyware apps that are very appealing, and their cash has certainly helped open source significantly.

Back