Will Chrome Os Or Google Chrome (Browser) Run On The Pandora?

IIRC it will get Firefox, but the default one seems to be midori

Michie4life said:
Will Chrome OS or google chrome (browser) run on the pandora?
If someone ports it, it may run.
Out of the box: No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see any reason why not. Google themselves have an active ARM port, so we don't need to worry about the V8 engine.

I won't say "Yes", but I will say "Extremely Likely" :)

I'd even be paying for a Chromium 4.* / Chrome port.

The most obvious reasons for this are:
- It's DAMN fast (esp. the new 4.* beta), a hell of a lot faster than Firefox.
- It eats WAY less RAM than Firefox. (=faster loading, no lag)
- With the new extension support and with this for example live rss bookmarks or ad-block available, there's actually no benefit more at all for Firefox, at least for my uses.
- HTML5 Video watching can for example replace flash-required Youtube watching and is faster and works more flawlessly than Flash, which can't be ported to the Pandora right now anyway.
- The menu bars are smaller than in Firefox, perfect for a small screen like the Pandora has (and yes, always switching fullscreen mode on/off in Firefox can be a pain).

This is definitely in my top-5 wanted-apps list for the Pandora. I'd kissing the feet of anyone who'd be porting this.

Wolfsclaw said:
I'd even be paying for a Chromium 4.* / Chrome port.

The most obvious reasons for this are:
- It's DAMN fast (esp. the new 4.* beta), a hell of a lot faster than Firefox.
- It eats WAY less RAM than Firefox. (=faster loading, no lag)
- With the new extension support and with this for example live rss bookmarks or ad-block available, there's actually no benefit more at all for Firefox, at least for my uses.
- HTML5 Video watching can for example replace flash-required Youtube watching and is faster and works more flawlessly than Flash, which can't be ported to the Pandora right now anyway.
- The menu bars are smaller than in Firefox, perfect for a small screen like the Pandora has (and yes, always switching fullscreen mode on/off in Firefox can be a pain).

This is definitely in my top-5 wanted-apps list for the Pandora. I'd kissing the feet of anyone who'd be porting this.
The only real benefit you gain over midori or any other WebKit based browser is the V8 engine for JavaScript instead of SquirrelFish Extreme. The rest is equally as fast across the board with WebKit. That and a prettier user interface.

Yes, it should run without any major complications in that Google maintains an ARM port

zhasha said:
The only real benefit you gain over midori or any other WebKit based browser is the V8 engine for JavaScript instead of SquirrelFish Extreme. The rest is equally as fast across the board with WebKit. That and a prettier user interface.

Yes, it should run without any major complications in that Google maintains an ARM port
Midori uses V8 too (at least in my Fedora build)

BUT
Chromium has the best extension architecture of any browser (I mean come on, letting the extensions use HTML5 canvas for icons? Using pure HTML, JS and JSON all the way down for the extensions? Can it be any more awesome? :p) and none of the other WebKit browsers have that.

It will be interesting to see Google's first implementation of Chrome OS in a netbook. Rumors suggest that it will be based on an ARM-architecture CPU, although who knows which one. People are still confused about whether it will have off-line functions, etc. There is a little speculation that additional functions (other than just browsing) could be implemented using HTML5, even before HTML5 is adopted -- just because that's Google's announced plan for adding off-line functions for Google Docs, Gmail, etc. That leads to other questions, like whether it will have off-line PIM and multimedia playback web apps, for instance.

I don't know when it is rumored for release, but I'll be curious to see what they put together. However, it isn't intended for smaller screens; the Pandora's hardware is really better suited to Android, unfortunately.

Just to advise, I am now running the Google Chrome browser on my SmartQ 7 :D (Yes the crap device everybody slags off) so there is a working ARM version available
NB. One problem I have encountered is when I click on 'log in' (to Google) I get a "The server's security certificate is revoked!" error

EDIT: The server's security certificate is revoked!" error has now gone.

EDIT2: It was OK for the login but now throws it up when I click on the 'mail' link

Nation.A.List said:
Just to advise, I am now running the Google Chrome browser on my SmartQ 7 :D (Yes the crap device everybody slags off) so there is a working ARM version available
NB. One problem I have encountered is when I click on 'log in' (to Google) I get a "The server's security certificate is revoked!" error

Would you mind posting in the SmartQMid.com forums how you did this (I looked but couldn't find a post about it by you)? Is it in the repos?

Warner

wermy said:
Nation.A.List said:

Would you mind posting in the SmartQMid.com forums how you did this (I looked but couldn't find a post about it by you)? Is it in the repos?

Warner
Not in repos, details in here http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=823&p=6487#p6482

B-ZaR said:
aesir911 said:
chrome is over rated...

This is purely a guess, but am I right to assume that you use safari?
no, i use firefox. just because i have a mac, therefore i must use safari... prejudice! :)

in order of greatness:

1. firefox
2. google chrome (perhaps worse than safari)
3. safari
4. internet explorer

Iron > Chrome

Edit: Or not :/ Looking more up on it and it might not be... hmmm.. I use firefox anyway, so no matter :p

aesir911 said:
B-ZaR said:
aesir911 said:
chrome is over rated...

This is purely a guess, but am I right to assume that you use safari?
no, i use firefox. just because i have a mac, therefore i must use safari... prejudice! :)

in order of greatness:

1. firefox
2. google chrome (perhaps worse than safari)
3. safari
4. internet explorer

It was a little bit influenced by your "you're not buying the right products" in the html5 thread, which led me to believe you use one of the browsers that work with youtube's html5 experiment. That combined with the fact that you use a mac was my rationale. But as I said, it was purely a guess :p

EDIT: oh, and of course your comment above was important in narrowing it down :D

javaJake (Neuvoo Dev) has Chromium 4.0.266.0 running on his beagleboard. Runs a bit faster than firefox with a lot less memory footprint. You will have to get the details from him but I would bet that we will be using it as the default browser for Neuvoo.

Back