Google Chrome

PoisonedV said:
Google is starting to get a huge monopoly and stranglehold on the market and I don't like it one bit. I used to be a big google proponent, but not anymore.
Also, whats going to happen to their firefox sponsorship?
What a giant middle finger to Mozilla!

I just hope it will teach Mozilla and all the other thousands of apps that pester you into installing google toolbar and setting your homepage to google (the quote from the article "Google Chrome is clean and fast. It gets out of your way and gets you where you want to go" really made me laugh!). Perhaps Mozilla will finally switch its default search engine to something that actually finds results. My vote is for Yahoo, but anything that doesn't have as much over-hype as google is fine by me.

They sponsorship has been extended by three years, but I'm pretty sure, should Mozilla decide to terminate the contract, any anti-competitive court would accept that releaseing a DIRECT competitor to a company's core product, after signing a sponsorship deal, as unfair practce

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Isn't this multi-process thing just back to how browsers used to work before tabs were invented? Remember running multiple copies of netscape etc.
Using multiple processes has its advantages.
Each tab it's really a separate sandbox, and it becomes really unlikely that a single tab crashing makes the whole application crash too. You can also kill a single process without losing your open tabs, I think it's cool and I'm pretty sure that google engineers choose this method exactly fot this reasons

Slightly off topic, but I remember reading a book about MS and specifically, the development process for Windows NT. Included was some discussion about 3d graphics, and the origins of DirectX (WinG, anyone remember that?) - they were planning 3d web based technology, and the browser/API they were developing to allow that was called... Chrome :) Coincidence?

fishybawb said:
that was called... Chrome :) Coincidence?
Yes.
The chrome is the additiona user interface of the application (toolbars, menus) and since google's chrome tries to keep the chrome to a minimum, they called it chrome as some sort of a joke.

BTW, I found this page which explains what I wrote previously about the multiple processes: http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-...ss-architecture

chrome is pretty slow on my pc compared to firefox. when i scroll through a page it looks as if i didnt install my grafix driver. kinda weird...

I haven't experienced Chrome yet as it is windows only, but I can't help thinking that a lot of the people getting excited about it are just just being duped by the fact that it's based on webkit so it's going to be faster and better to use than Explorer and Firefox anyway...

There seems to be a really heavy emphasis on the stability and 'bad tab' stuff but I so rarely experience browser crashes that it seems pretty irrelevant to me.

It's a shame they haven't introduced something groundbreaking.

A lot of it is just fluff that will get equivalent extensions in Firefox very quickly.

Think I'll be sticking with Firefox for a while...

Somehow I hope this means that Firefox might reconsidering their way to bloat. :\

K-Meleon and Arora are two very nice browser alternatives, K-Meleon has lots of features and is quite customisable while Arora is just fast. :)

If Google is such an evil monopoly, why does Chrome have options to set your default search to Yahoo or MSN?

Plus, the option to send usage statistics is OFF by default.

Actually, my only big concern with Chrome is, oddly, the TOS. It looks like they copied the boilerplate from their google services (which gives them a right to use anything you post through "the services" for publicity and advertising)--makes sense for services like a blog, less sense for a browser. Hopefully they'll clarify and/or fix it, because I quite like the program but am not crazy about the EULA (do some searching and you'll see that a lot of folks are overparanoid about it, but it's still not great).

Since it's open-source, though, an unbranded version wouldn't have those problems, so overall I'm pretty positive about it.

google is evil
chrome constantly sents information to their servers, no matter what you do. thats the reason they have a browser. that should be enough reason not to use chrome!

Watch out for stored passwords, they're completely visible through the options.

mr.mike said:
google is evil
chrome constantly sents information to their servers, no matter what you do. thats the reason they have a browser. that should be enough reason not to use chrome!
Is there any proof for this?

ashdjones said:
If Google is such an evil monopoly, why does Chrome have options to set your default search to Yahoo or MSN?
Probably because they know that anybody who downloads it right now is going to be a google-hugger and never going to THINK about changing their homepage or default search engine. The question should be rephrased:

If Google is not an evil monopoly, then how comes even totally unrelated software asks me if I want to insall google toolbar, and set my homepage to google (in fact, many ASSUME this is ok and check the option for me, meaning many people will skip through without even reading it)?

ashdjones said:
Watch out for stored passwords, they're completely visible through the options.

mr.mike said:
google is evil
Is there any proof for this?

yes there is
they published a list somewhere that tells exactly what information is being sent. i just need to...google it...
here you go
http://www.golem.de/0809/62171.html
its in german tho

I know, but I really can't be bothered to do that. FF and Opera are both working just fine for me. I shouldn't have to modify my browser in order to not to be property of a big evil company.

Hmm... the source should be edited to remove all their crap that sends usage stats to google.

magicman5421 said:
technically, if you build from source, do you have to agree to any licence other than the bsd?
No. Same as with a fork.

Back