Google Chrome

sindbad said:
The point is that after using the browser a while and closing and opening tabs, not all garbage gets collected properly. With processes, it's certain that all used memory gets returned to the os.

That's why they say that it uses more memory up-front, but less in the long run.

not that hard to close firefox and restart it once a while...

besides, I've had enough with google datamining my lifestyle and habits. gmail's creepy 'i know what you do' ads are bad enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
to quote google code "V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 3rd edition, and runs on Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), and Linux systems that use IA-32 or ARM processors."

so it already works on arm or is in progress...

cb88 said:
to quote google code "V8 implements ECMAScript as specified in ECMA-262, 3rd edition, and runs on Windows XP and Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), and Linux systems that use IA-32 or ARM processors."

so it already works on arm or is in progress...
Google is planning to use it in their Android system. They need something that can throw off mobile Safari.

gibberish said:
ive just been using this for about half an hour or so and i cant believe how much faster it is than firefox.
being as its open source, do you think it would be beneficial to be the default browser on pandora instead of firefox?

this question is obviously directed at devs and/or people who have used chrome.
There is a scrolling bug in it. My scrollbar mouse will only scroll down and not up. It's fast, but I like Safari and Firefox better. The one neat thing about it is how you can separate and cobine windows (tabs) through drag and drop. You can drag a tab off the window and it creates a new window, or you can drag a tab onto another window and it closes the old one. Other than that, I don't see any compelling reason to give up firefox and Safari.

Chris

Google is starting to get a huge monopoly and stranglehold on the market and I don't like it one bit. I used to be a big google proponent, but not anymore.
Also, whats going to happen to their firefox sponsorship?

the good thing about firefox, and the only reason why I wont be using any other browser then it, is its plugins

firefox out of the box is pretty decent....

what really makes it the best browser by far (even if its not the fastest) are the plugins that really puts all the power of the world in ur hand

ZOMROFLWAFFLEXCELSIOR!!!!

try this about:internets

also the java script engine IS a beast... and when the plugins start being written it will likely leave firefox in the dust....

Google is setting themselves up to take MS's place in the evil company department. They are run by corporate investors so, it is only a matter of time. Ah well, all good things must come to an end.

PoisonedV said:
Google is starting to get a huge monopoly and stranglehold on the market and I don't like it one bit. I used to be a big google proponent, but not anymore.

need we remind you that the code is open source.. if they go sour we just move foward with the code and forget about them....

google is like id ... they have a certain cool factor about them... also they are probably THE biggest open source supporter... although i don't like the data mining and all myself either

FRZ said:
Google is setting themselves up to take MS's place in the evil company department. They are run by corporate investors so, it is only a matter of time. Ah well, all good things must come to an end.
PoisonedV said:

I agree and think google is the next Microsoft and might possibly be responsible for Microsoft's demise. Google wants to be everything. So far it has not made serious inroads in areas other than searching, but I think they are number one in home page and searching which means they control information. The google brand has been more powerful and successful than any other search engine. I think their goal is to take over the desktop and push Microsoft out of the way and make operating systems a commodity, just something to get google and their apps and their affiliates up on the desktop. I think I'm going to look for another search engine. Any recommendations?

Chris

Meh, I think it isn't that big of a deal. If Google replaced M$ as the "Big Evil Company", at least they'd be using open standards so that everybody on any OS could all just get along. Compared to the all the DRMed down crap on microsoft fail® like expiring WMA's, no digital audio output on a CD I bought without encrypting the output, etc..... How about, screw you! I'd take an open standard monopoly any day of the week.

AireTamStorm said:
Meh, I think it isn't that big of a deal. If Google replaced M$ as the "Big Evil Company", at least they'd be using open standards so that everybody on any OS could all just get along. Compared to the all the DRMed down crap on microsoft fail® like expiring WMA's, no digital audio output on a CD I bought without encrypting the output, etc..... How about, screw you! I'd take an open standard monopoly any day of the week.

An open standard monopoly is an oxymoron. What they are doing is using the opensource community to their advantage to gain more market control. Corporate investors only care about one thing and that is their phat pockets and nothing else. Little by little they are turning Google from user friendly company that it was to the new MS/big brother in charge. They went from being a search engine to monitoring users activities online and can most likely replay every keystroke typed from your computer. That is not looking very good.

FRZ said:
An open standard monopoly is an oxymoron. What they are doing is using the opensource community to their advantage to gain more market control.
I don't see the problem if there is interoperability in place and alternatives are readily available.

FRZ said:
They went from being a search engine to monitoring users activities online
Ads in google mail should have an option to be disabled, yes. It has been iterated that no human ever gets to read your mail. And of course they run statistics on searches, how do you think the top five results end up being even relevant to your searches?

FRZ said:
and can most likely replay every keystroke typed from your computer.
Paranoid much? I guess it isn't Paranoia if they're really out to get you.

AireTamStorm said:
FRZ said:
An open standard monopoly is an oxymoron. What they are doing is using the opensource community to their advantage to gain more market control.
I don't see the problem if there is interoperability in place and alternatives are readily available.

FRZ said:
They went from being a search engine to monitoring users activities online
Ads in google mail should have an option to be disabled, yes. It has been iterated that no human ever gets to read your mail. And of course they run statistics on searches, how do you think the top five results end up being even relevant to your searches?

FRZ said:
and can most likely replay every keystroke typed from your computer.
Paranoid much? I guess it isn't Paranoia if they're really out to get you.
Me paronoid? Non-sense. I am just careful that's all. Now, let me go re-touch these traps in my apartment that I setup just for fun.

FRZ said:
Me paronoid? Non-sense. I am just careful that's all. Now, let me go re-touch these traps in my apartment that I setup just for fun.
If you don't want google to go evil big brother,, the best way to do it is support their open source efforts, and ignore everything else. It has brought them success on a level, and it keeps the company behaving.

Back on topic,From what I see, chrome isn't nearly feature rich enough for prime time. I say, Google should have just rebranded Firefox or something, the speed is completely useless in light of the massive amount of functionality from a mature codebase like Firefox. I'll keep my Firey orange and blue icon, thank you.

Yes, the way i see it, chrome is more competing against opera than firefox.

personally i don't have the time to stalk down all the firefox plugins etc... i just want a fast browser that has some nice features ... firefox does that but chrome doesn't seem to be hanging on those same pages firefox does (both at home and at school)

on way or another i think its definitely good to have a lil competion thats what this is about in all reality there are FAR too few complete browsers to choose from.... firefox IE opera... kmeleon and seamonkey basically are firefox IMO... at least at the rendering level

@PoisionedV you are prolly right and i think it does a good job of that for a beta ... especially for a beta the quick launch works better than opera and there is even the paste & go thing... i really don't like the IE style menus

cb88 said:
do you mean ram footprint? or disk.... disk is pretty irrelavant
for me chrome is using 20% less ram than firefox with 3 pages open on each.... it is firefox 2 though NVM i just noticed the multiple processes :)

i meant HD footprint, which in my case with 60gb hd and the bloat of winxp and its updates is quite relevant :)

as others have mentioned the plugins for firefox are v useful and that inertia can only be shifted if a browser is radically diff in some way, i don't see that for chrome....yet

PoisonedV said:
Their sponsorship was just expanded three more years (to 2011). I believe this will end up like Adobe Air, it is cool, it is working, it has a slight advantage over other solutions, but it's simply not worth bothering with (although I love the separate processes, but I doubt any of my machines can take 25+ chrome.exe, I open a lot of tabs that I reach the maximum limit allowed by my browser once or twice daily).

I'm running Chrome now and Oh My God, it's brilliant, very fast due to DNS pre-fetching, phishing and virus protection built in and so far has done a perfect job at rendering every site I have tried. Chrome also seems to value you browser real estate by not cluttering it up with menu bars, excellent!

I love the history screen too, excellent search function and the Javascript debugger is nice, and I love the way it manages your passwords

All in all, excellent, so far I have no complaints except for Runescape HD not always going into full screen. But that was the same in IE and I think Jagex still have some bugs to sort out themselves.

Oh and one more thing, Chrome's CSS isn't broken like it is with Firefox 3.

Back