Google Chromium Os

About the reason this topic was created, I don't really see the point in running the Chrome OS on the Pandora, since more than half the stuff it can do will be possible with Firefox and a few plugins, plus all the stuff tha Pandora is supposed to do (i.e. you wouldn't be able to run any .pnd files in the Chrome OS). Because of that, I can't possibly see the benefit in running this on the Pandora.
Having said that, I do think this is a very interesting and quirky idea. I'd like to see how successful the OS turns out to be, because it sure is original.

Has anyone built Chromium OS, and if so, are they willing to post a torrent/link of the iso or image? I would really like to try it out, but don't have the hard drive space to build it. Thanks,
Adam

mali said:
GuchaRU said:
as long as their stuff are free i like google over microsuxx.
As long as you consider privacy worthless, you are right.

WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE GOOGLE. Can you please shut the fuck up and go sit in the corner with your tinfoil had and leave the rest of us alone? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary13579 said:
mali said:
GuchaRU said:

WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE GOOGLE. Can you please shut the fuck up and go sit in the corner with your tinfoil had and leave the rest of us alone? Thanks.
He doesn't share your opinion, no need to be an ass about it.

Sphinxter said:

We don't need 3 posts in a single thread contributing nothing but whining because he's a paranoid baby.

Actually, you know what, I'm done with these forums. This place just gets worse and worse daily.

ya everyday theres more and more people that bitch about other people

Sphinxter said:
We're all a little stressed, please join me in meditation, listen to the lalala girl and think happy pandora thoughts.
Here
That should help everyone mellow out a little.

Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
We're all a little stressed, please join me in meditation, listen to the lalala girl and think happy pandora thoughts.
Here
That should help everyone mellow out a little.
Yeah, what can brown do for you?
rofl, the amazon box knows where its at.

@Gary13579

I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings. I wouldn't have thought that my few post would cause such an anger. I'm just trying to be objective and don't use insults or anything. Take it easy :)

mali said:
@Gary13579

I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings. I wouldn't have thought that my few post would cause such an anger. I'm just trying to be objective and don't use insults or anything. Take it easy :)
You've probably seen the rest of his posts. They usually end in him raging his face off.
the constant in these situations:
him.
but, none of that matters anymore. He's "done with these forums" oh snap

Sphinxter said:
Gary13579 said:
mali said:
GuchaRU said:

You know, Gary13579 did come off a bit strongly, but he does have a point. A bunch of people in this thread (and other threads for that matter) seem to just drop in just to say they don't like something and then disappear. It's very counterproductive, seeing as Pandora seems to be a device that's about possibilities. I'm not talking about the ones that explain why they think such-and-such is a bad idea, I'm talking about the opinions that have no explanation behind why they think that way.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here.

It seems Chrome OS is what will be Google's "solid" version, the one they sell on hardware made specifically for it, hence the SSD requirement. In general, people are stupid, very dumb to technology... if someone buys an HDD-equipped Chrome OS computer, they may complain that it doesn't boot instantly like the ads say it did. I saw other requirements as well, like screen size, and keyboards, etc. Chromium OS, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be so restricted. If it's open source, there's likely a method of turning off that SSD requirement, and also probably likely that someone with some skill could build in some offline method of storage instead of requiring a net connection.

The privacy thing, Google holding all my data and all, doesn't really bother me. I never store passwords or diaries or any other private documents anywhere but on my own computer. True, it's still quite an invasion of privacy if they're looking at my documents without my permission, regardless of sensitivity, but if you don't like it, don't use their stuff, plain and simple.

Would I like to see Chromium OS on Pandora? Absolutely. Do I need to see it? Nah. But if it happened, and it could be run off an SD card, I'd buy an SD card just to keep a copy of Chromium OS on it. I never thought I'd grow fond of any of their products, but most of the time I end up liking their stuff that I try. Maybe I'll feel the same way about this, too. :)

yumcax said:
Has anyone built Chromium OS, and if so, are they willing to post a torrent/link of the iso or image? I would really like to try it out, but don't have the hard drive space to build it. Thanks,
Adam

Here you go Adam Chrome VMware image is here

You can put chromium on your pandora if all you want to do with it is browse the web, I guess. Have fun with that.

-Tj- said:
You know, Gary13579 did come off a bit strongly, but he does have a point. A bunch of people in this thread (and other threads for that matter) seem to just drop in just to say they don't like something and then disappear. It's very counterproductive,

To be fair Mali's comment wasn't a simple "I don't like this". He put forward a valid reason for not liking the OS/Company. And if we're not supposed to provide any negative feedback in any thread then we simply allow all threads to become promotional tools for the product creators.

And I suspect that people tend to disappear from threads because they get thrashed by the "Google/Microsoft/OP/Apple/Whoever can do no wrong" fanboys that jump on every negative comment.

Well said (posted?), Pleng.

Truth is I want Chrome OS to succeed. As someone mentioned earlier, and that applies to me too, generally I'm resistant with those "revolutionary" stuff google throw at us, but I like them a lot when I start actually using them.

Google must have some brilliant minds working for them, so what we can do is believe.
Obviously, the SSD requirement may sound elitist... bBt not after (not too many) years, SSD will be the Data Storage Standard and the Chrome OS will be already used to it, while Microsoft and Apple may have to release updates for their OSs, launch new/compatible OSs, and possibly don't encourage the use of SSD with previous releases of their OSs.

I personally don't see the appeal of the OS. But if it drives down the cost of SSD storage (and presumably all forms of flash memory) then I'm all for it!

i really dont understan why anyone would want to run cromium or any other os when there is linux....
i have ubuntu on my other computer and it's good! pandora have angstrom linux and it is also totally good!

-Tj- said:
Sphinxter said:
Gary13579 said:
mali said:
GuchaRU said:

You know, Gary13579 did come off a bit strongly, but he does have a point. A bunch of people in this thread (and other threads for that matter) seem to just drop in just to say they don't like something and then disappear. It's very counterproductive, seeing as Pandora seems to be a device that's about possibilities. I'm not talking about the ones that explain why they think such-and-such is a bad idea, I'm talking about the opinions that have no explanation behind why they think that way.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here.

It seems Chrome OS is what will be Google's "solid" version, the one they sell on hardware made specifically for it, hence the SSD requirement. In general, people are stupid, very dumb to technology... if someone buys an HDD-equipped Chrome OS computer, they may complain that it doesn't boot instantly like the ads say it did. I saw other requirements as well, like screen size, and keyboards, etc. Chromium OS, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be so restricted. If it's open source, there's likely a method of turning off that SSD requirement, and also probably likely that someone with some skill could build in some offline method of storage instead of requiring a net connection.

The privacy thing, Google holding all my data and all, doesn't really bother me. I never store passwords or diaries or any other private documents anywhere but on my own computer. True, it's still quite an invasion of privacy if they're looking at my documents without my permission, regardless of sensitivity, but if you don't like it, don't use their stuff, plain and simple.

Would I like to see Chromium OS on Pandora? Absolutely. Do I need to see it? Nah. But if it happened, and it could be run off an SD card, I'd buy an SD card just to keep a copy of Chromium OS on it. I never thought I'd grow fond of any of their products, but most of the time I end up liking their stuff that I try. Maybe I'll feel the same way about this, too. :)
Granted there is a lot of negative hit and run but those opinions are valid and do have value, maybe it's a completely irrational fear somehow embedded in rough potty training that they can't explain causing them to form that opinion or once had some vendor involved who'll benefit try to jack their project once or whatever their reasoning, whether they furnish a background thesis on their opinion is up to them. So one disagrees, lightly flames and uses it as an opportunity to expound on arguments to the contrary driving one's point further. Personal attacks and yelling, now that's counter productive.

Unless of course they're just whining, then it's STFU and GTFO.

Back