Chromium Web Browser

Did you enable swap?

Or maybe try to delete your chromium appdatafolder and retry.

Edit: And for panmame: You can edit the behaviour of the launcher in the configfiles, as described on the additional info field on the repo.

If you don't want to do that, I will say it to you, (I won't say it to anybody else) Use it or don't use it. Your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you enable swap?

Or maybe try to delete your chromium appdatafolder and retry.

Edit: And for panmame: You can edit the behaviour of the launcher in the configfiles, as described on the additional info field on the repo.

If you don't want to do that, I will say it to you, (I won't say it to anybody else) Use it or don't use it. Your choice.
How do i enable swap.

Either use this to make a swap file upon any SD card thats for normal use http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=swaptools-0.1-slaeshjag

or

boot from SD and create a swap partition in the process via this http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=sd-install-2011-03-10

If your already using the SD installer at the moment, you can check if swap is active by opening a terminal and typing

look at the 5th row down of the top section and see the row

Swap: XXXXXX total XXXXXX used XXXXXX free

If you've already got an active swap partition, it will display some useage amounts here.

How do i enable swap.
For a 128MB swap file

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/SDCARD/swapfile bs=1024 count=131072

mkswap /media/SDCARD/swapfile 134217728

sudo swapon /media/SDCARD/swapfile

Or do it the automatic way with the swap pnd, I guess...

Whoops... there's always that other method above aswell (from the old timers) ignoring the PND system. Next thing you know they'll be chastising the young 'uns for wanting Android or some such ;)

Web browsers on the Pandora: How they behave if WiFi is enabled/disabled/re-enabled at program start or while use

Chromium - BUGGY - If no WiFi at program start, later gained WiFi connection cannot be used, restart necessary

If you boot without WiFi, then start Chromium without WiFi and attempt a connection, Chromium displays the error-page with Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED).

This webpage is not available

The server at example.org can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Chromium from accessing the network.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this webpage later.

Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.

Check your DNS settings. Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.

Try disabling network prediction by following these steps: Go to the wrench menu > Settings > Under the Hood and deselect "Predict network actions to improve page load performance." If this does not resolve the issue, we recommend selecting this option again for improved performance.

Add Chromium as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the wrench menu > Settings > Internet > "Options..." (for the current Network). If the "Change proxy settings..." button (in the Network tab) is present, click on that and make sure your configuration is set to "Direct".

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.

If WiFi is then enabled, and you attempt to load, Chromium still displays Error 105. Only a restart can make use of the newly gained connection.

If you start Chromium with WiFi, then disable it, and then attempt a page load, you get a different error-page, Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED).

This webpage is not available

The webpage at http://example.org/page might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error.

If you re-enable WiFi and then issue the page load again, it works.

All other browsers tested (FireFox, Jumanji) where able to load a page after WiFi was gained again, regardless in which situation (regained after start without WiFi, regained somewhen while using, etc).

Firefox - OK

If WiFi is gained, regardless when, you can issue page loads again.

One interesting aspect:

If WiFi is just in the process of disabling, and you attempt to load a page, Firefox attempts a connection endlessly without any timeout stopping it. As soon as WiFi is enabled again, the page is loaded, without the necessity for the user to issue a reload.

If WiFi is disabled, and you attempt to load a page, Firefox immediately shows you the no-connection-info-page. As soon as WiFi is enabled again, the user can press "Try again" or the other page loading mechanisms (reload button, shortcut, pressing ENTER in address bar).

Jumanji - OK

If WiFi is gained, regardless when, you can issue page loads again.

If you have no WiFi at startup, a load attempt results in:

Cannot resolve hostname (example.org)
If you have disable and re-enable WiFi while usage, a load attempt results in:

Cannot connect to destination (example.org)

EDIT: NVM - I can't tell if StreaK is the author and Milkshake just uploaded the pnd, or if it is actually Milkshake who is the real maintainer. So I just shut my mouth.

It wasn't me that compiled it, it was google, its a snapshot from google cant remember where right now, but it didn't work by default then someone put the pnd together from the snapshot (not me or StreaK) and I just uploaded it.

I used to build the PNDs from the Chromium snapshot and could redo that any time.

it would be nice if we could get a proper chromium version that isnt a chromeOS look a like (i.e. just the browser) :/

Ah. So the gist of my now deleted comment stands - There really isn't a maintainer for the chrome pnd as such (i.e. there is nobody who works on collecting bug reports and fixing pandora-specific stuff).

...by which I don't mean to imply that anybody here should do any of that, only that a request for the chromium maintainer to respond is unlikely to get any responses.

Whomever can improve it, I hereby report the following:

Already reported: Chromium - If no WiFi at program start, later gained WiFi connection cannot be used, restart necessary

New report: Chromium - Clock time always shown as pacific timezone, ignores Pandora OS timezone.

Thanks.

Ah, so at least, the Browser COULD work without OS, nice. :) I was worried that this could be some "Windows<-> Internet Explorer" issue. :D

As the snapshots are precompiled, I don't think the bugs can be fixed.

Back