Quick Question For You Euro Dreamcast Guys

junker

yeah, i'm gonna pick up a pal dreamcast soon, but i wanna know if it will display on my ntsc tv correctly.
anyone know?

thanks a mil'

I would of thought you would be ok if your tv is less than 5 years old. I live in the UK, So have no way of confirming this. But most if not all tv`s sold in the UK in at least the last 5 years are able to display ntsc and pal (or pal60)signals without any problems.

Trooper

i don't know, i get a black and white image with pal games. no flickering, though.
my tv isn't so old, either.

I think you may need an adapter. I can play NTSC games on my PAL DC using a boot disk and they look fine on my TV, but if I plug a Japanese NTSC DC into my TV the image is in black and white.

If you are not in a PAL region, why do you want a PAL DC? I think you would be better off getting an NTSC DC.

AFAIK you can use the PAL DC on NTSC - but ONLY if the game switches to NTSC (which most PAL games don't).

I'm not entirely sure, though.

WhizzBang posted on Jul 18 2005 at 11:43 PM said:
I think you may need an adapter. I can play NTSC games on my PAL DC using a boot disk and they look fine on my TV, but if I plug a Japanese NTSC DC into my TV the image is in black and white.

If you are not in a PAL region, why do you want a PAL DC? I think you would be better off getting an NTSC DC.

Try a scart-cable.

http://tvtool.info/go.htm?http://tvtool.in...cablefaq1_e.htm

Most consoles I've bough came with one of these:

scartrca9kw.jpg

One cannot get color-ntsc signal trough these.

I once jury-rigged one of these to show me PAL signal from PSX. :p

10811sm0dl.jpg

Only got BW from NTSC, but once I figured what wires to stick into the CVBS-socket at the back, PAL worked splendidly-doo. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm picking up a pal dc(already have a US one from waaay back) since it came in a pretty good bundle for a cheap price. don't mind another dreamcast lying around incase the other's disc motor dies or something.

anyway, thanks for the replies. i may just use a vga adapter or something. i've been meaning to get one, but does anyone know how it will look on a an lcd monitor?(1280x1024 17")?
what is the resolution the DC outputs at?

Well, if you use RGB, you should be able to use PAL signals in color on any TV which isn't older than 5 years...

The b/w problem only occurs if you use Composite.

edit:
um, where does the RGB plug into?? component slot(y yb yr)? can't find decent images.

double edit:
will the use of an s-video cable help this, or will it also display in b/w?

SVideo won't help, as it already has encoded colors.
RGB are basically three B/W (just contrat) signals:
One for Red, one for Green, one for Blue.
That's why it works.

There exist different RGB cables:
The most common is a SCART > SCART cable. Your TV Scart input has to support RGB though.

Then there is Scart > BNC
Each color has a single BNC plug.

ah well, that sucks. my tv has no scart input, and many tvs here don't come with them.
the only non-encoded signal plug i have are component inputs, and i haven't found any dc component adapters.

Yeah, I know.
America mostly has Component where PAL countries have RGB.

The PAL DC doesn't have Component output, that's why you won't find an adaptor here.

for that price, i can buy another dreamcast :D
that's what i'll just do, another one around the house :D
thanks for the info guys

one last question, i'm currently using my xbox power cable to hook it up, and it works pretty well. will this cause issues later on, though? bottom of the unit says 220~240 volts, but i'm not sure what it's receiving from the xbox cable. ..

Back