Quote button missing?

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
I know there have been changes, with some probably continuing. Did the quote button vanish, or is it just me?

Maybe I'll find the time to make a userjs to correct some issues

It was an Opera issue.  I forgot to switch browsers again.

Welcome to the club. :D
I hope there is a way to fix this issue, I see no reason why posting should not work under Opera. I have all scripts enabled, all blockers disabled but I still can't post anything. I even masked Opera as Firefox which works sometimes. But this new Forum system here seems to hate Opera (12).   Why not simply  using vBulletin or so? I never had any issues with these kind of Forums.

As said in the update topic, changing your user agent (opera:config -> Custom User Agent) to a chrome one works. As a side-effect, some sites may actually give you better versions as well (example: Google main page).

I decided to stop being stubborn and changed my user agent.  Posting from Opera now.  I can go back to using it for my fun stuff, and FF for "serious" stuff.  Still not happy with how Opera 12 is being treated (not here, just in general).
:mellow:

Offtopic: I would really advise you to use browsers, which still get security updates.

I Dragonflyed a bit, found a way to make Quote links visible, but when clicked, them where still opening the request for a file in the reply box... this seems a complex thing to debug, anyway I'll continue with time...

For now I'm using the chrome user-agent, and seems to solve all the issues, I'm able to quote. edit and all the textboxes are working right.

@Ziz: most security updates are for broken sand-boxes, integrated codecs, protection from external plugins that you need to just add some basic functionalities (somehow hidden from the main program), multiple script languages that mostly are needed for Facebook...

My use case of Opera is: all turned off, until required... also the black hats are mainly following recent browsers, no one care about issues on old ones (except maybe for IE)

As said in the update topic, changing your user agent (opera:config -> Custom User Agent) to a chrome one works. As a side-effect, some sites may actually give you better versions as well (example: Google main page).

And  what exactly do I have to type in there? ^^"  
EDIT: Ah, found something and I copied in, works! Fascinating, so Opera is still better than I thought. Would be great if it would be a per site setting but I will see how other sites work. ^^  Thanks for the tip by the way.

Offtopic: I would really advise you to use browsers, which still get security updates.

The good thing is, Opera is pretty secure from start and besides that so niche, that it mostly stays "under the radar". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2228.0 Safari/537.36

OK, command back, I can't use this. It may work here but it messes up to many of more important sites. I can't watch youtube and other streaming sites anymore (Chrome only allows html5 which does not work in Opera 12, my popup blockers do not work correctly with certain sites etc. No way I can let this, sadly. So back to old behaviour... If only would this available just for this site.

If I was doing anything (other than logging in here) that required security, or if I really cared, I would.  That is why I use FF for certain things, and Opera for looking at cat pictures.

hflvhkgld

Can I buy a vowel?

EDIT: Ah, found something and I copied in, works! Fascinating, so Opera is still better than I thought. Would be great if it would be a per site setting but I will see how other sites work. ^^  Thanks for the tip by the way.

The good thing is, Opera is pretty secure from start and besides that so niche, that it mostly stays "under the radar". ;)
I really hate trying to cut up quotes now, so after the third try with it screwing something up I will just leave it intact.  You can set it up on a per site basis.  It is under preferences, one of the tabs on the right.  I think you click something and then you can put in the site you want and choose the user agent. I can verfiy later when I am at my computer again.  Mine is set for FF here now, and I did chrome for everything else to see what google looked like (I didn't notice anything really different).  I think I snagged a more recent one than what PowerGod gave, although I don't think it said it was windows.

I thought Opera was more popular than it was until I got into a conversation with a dozen or so people discussing how bad it is that certain things require(d) IE.  A few had heard of Opera, mostly through Nintendo products I think, but only 1 had ever used it, and I don't think it was his main choice when he did.  This was also before I found out that Opera for Windows hadn't stalled at 12.  He said something like "oh, your still using Opera?  I don't like what they did with it." and I went and looked it up, then installed the current Windows version on one of the windows boxes and had to agree, it was different.  I think when I checked statistics some time recently I read that it peaked around 5%.  I guess that isn't too bad.  I stupidly use the current Android version (what I am using now).

If only would this available just for this site.

There is.  You can set each site individually afaik.

I don't like not being able to see who I am responding to while typing a reply...

That function is limited to the choices hardcoded in Opera, that are old versions of FF and IE... the only way to use a custom string is the opera:config, and unluckily it's global...

That function is limited to the choices hardcoded in Opera, that are old versions of FF and IE... the only way to use a custom string is the opera:config, and unluckily it's global...
Wouldn't an old FF one work here?  I think that is what I am using.  If it only needs to be changed to be used here, and what is available works, it should be sufficient.  I will take a look in a few hours.

The FF masked mode don't change a thing for me, but I found a solution that also Fusion_Power will appreciate !!! :)

Actually the "override.ini" is even able to accept a custom string, not only the 5 hardcoded choices !!! I LOVE THIS BROWSER !!

Now only this site is using the crome user agent

Just do this (my browser is not in english so the following are raw translations):

1) While reading this, press F12 ;)
2) Select "Modify preferences for this site..."
3) Press OK, to close the window
4) Copy somewhere else the following text and close Opera : 
User Prefs|Custom User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2228.0 Safari/537.36
5) With Opera closed, go to the "opera" user folder, somewhere in youruser/appdata (or .opera on linux)
6) Open the file "override.ini", and under the section [boards.openpandora.org] add as the last entry the line you copied before, save the file.
7) Enjoy again openpandora.org, without ruining the other sites ;)

If someone is playing with custom user-agents and finds one that works better (or maybe faster), please share your knowledge and happiness with us :D

=== I still don't know ho to use spoilers ===
here is my openpandora override config, just for reference

[boards.openpandora.org]
User Prefs|Ignore Target=0
User Prefs|Target Destination=0
User Prefs|Ignore Unrequested Popups=1
User Prefs|Force Encoding
User Prefs|Local CSS File={Resources}styles/user.css
User Prefs|Allow script to raise window=1
User Prefs|Allow script to lower window=1
User Prefs|User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Always Load User JavaScript=0
User Prefs|Strategy On Application Cache=1
User Agent|Spoof UserAgent ID=1
User Prefs|Custom User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2228.0 Safari/537.36

Exactly. I  tried  every available entry there, none worked. These standard maskings are often not working, they are old and limited. And the other solution was global and not per site. Would be indeed great if you could add more entries there so you can choose them also for each site.

The FF masked mode don't change a thing for me, but I found a solution that also Fusion_Power will appreciate !!! :)

Actually the "override.ini" is even able to accept a custom string, not only the 5 hardcoded choices !!! I LOVE THIS BROWSER !!

Now only this site is using the crome user agent

Just do this (my browser is not in english so the following are raw translations):

1) While reading this, press F12 ;)
2) Select "Modify preferences for this site..."
3) Press OK, to close the window
4) Copy somewhere else the following text and close Opera : 
5) With Opera closed, go to the "opera" user folder, somewhere in youruser/appdata (or .opera on linux)
6) Open the file "override.ini", and under the section [boards.openpandora.org] add as the last entry the line you copied before, save the file.
7) Enjoy again openpandora.org, without ruining the other sites ;)

Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for, very thanks! :D   Actualy, a pretty easy solution but like usual, I would never had found this, didn't know that such an file even existed. ^^"  Yes, it works, just for this site here, very nice. OPERA POWER! XD

Perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for, very thanks! :D   Actualy, a pretty easy solution but like usual, I would never had found this, didn't know that such an file even existed. ^^"  Yes, it works, just for this site here, very nice. OPERA POWER! XD
(I still can't understand how to remove quotes without destroying the entire layout...)

I knew that file, and I was thinking it was limited to the options from the interface, but while looking at the entries I thought them where so similar to the ones in opera:config that I tried a manual entry, and after so may years the configurability of this browser still amazes me  :D

It's very difficult now to find informations about this browser, when the old official forum were closed a lot of knowledge died with it... and many other Opera sites disappeared...

Back