Rainbow Panda

Random changes:
pandoramash4.jpg

I don't have traylor's eye for colour, so the bars are a bit naff at the moment. Need a nice complimentary set to re-colour it in.

I love the heart branding, however I understand skeezix's concerns - it *may* turn off hard-headed tech type guys, which is a big part of the demographic. If the Pandora went mainstream though, it would be perfect (think Wii, Portal, Little Big Planet - captures that aesthetic).

Instead of hearts, what about a collection of little icons like: musical note, film strip, globe (internet), PC screen, joystick, pixel-man, linux penguin, etc?

GunPei2X said:
Instead of hearts, what about a collection of little icons like: musical note, film strip, globe (internet), PC screen, joystick, pixel-man, linux penguin, etc?
+1 billion. I can't support your request more. That's a terribly good idea!! :rolleyes:

You must try it as soon as you can, traylorpark.

And I do also like A LOT your last design, WoD.

GREAT work!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone get a high resolution render of that box with proper field of depth and anti-aliasing. :)

I don't get the brown in the middle of the "rainbow". It's kinda is too similar to the background, maybe try with something transparent or another color?

GunPei2X said:

This could work, the shapes are recognizable, but not too complex to ruin the design.

Good thought GunPei!

I was thinking a wallpaper like... this:

or this:

or this:

... seems interesting no?

EDIT: Used my OpenPandora logo and did all the reflection and stuff in Inkscape...
EDIT: Updated images

traylorpark said:

Haha, want the blend? The texture for the Japanese apartment is coming, I PROMISE! After that, I want to create assets that specifically benefit your level editor (and have a shorter turn around time). I'm so sick of this one giant scene deal I got myself into.
Nah, I'm just playing with the logo and some simple graphical effects/animation, so I've been cutting things I need from the images you upload, they're high enough resolution. I'll send you something(s) in a few days... *checks schedule* a week!

Tobs

Oscaruzzo said:
I'd like something more in this direction (this art is NOT mine)

574091202057761.jpg

574091201263040.jpg

See this filckr page or this webpage for more.

The C64 image is stunning. In truth, I was (and still am) trying to figure out how I could include similar lighting techniques. Technically, its still a bit of a mystery.

WoD said:
Random changes:
pandoramash4.jpg

I don't have traylor's eye for colour, so the bars are a bit naff at the moment. Need a nice complimentary set to re-colour it in.
WoD, I see what you are doing, but you are going in a much different direction of purpose than I am. I deliberately try to be not be literal in my concepts. To us, a list of the Pandora's specs might get our mouth watering, but to an outsider it means extremely little.

The power of not being literal is that you can associate a feeling with the product. This is what advertising is all about. For example, the PSP is not sold by listing the components on the inside. It is the advertised experience and emotion that sells the product. Its the timeless puzzle; how do you get a customer to relate to you product and how do you get them to care.

Technically, your piece would benefit from a focal point. Also, the Pandora showing through the translucent color bars creates more noise in the piece and makes it harder for the eye to settle.

GunPei2X said:
I love the heart branding, however I understand skeezix's concerns - it *may* turn off hard-headed tech type guys, which is a big part of the demographic. If the Pandora went mainstream though, it would be perfect (think Wii, Portal, Little Big Planet - captures that aesthetic).

Then this raises the question: Would it be more beneficial to cater the brand design to those "hard-headed tech types" or too a larger demographic.

I agree with your thoughts on the hearts.

adamorjames said:
I was thinking a wallpaper like... this:

or this:

or this:

... seems interesting no?

EDIT: Used my OpenPandora logo and did all the reflection and stuff in Inkscape...

Oh my... I like your rainbow logo combination more than I like mine ... can you send me the vector file? I really like that center image. You've made it easier for me, because now I don't have to test that version of the logo without glow and reflection.

Weird. After a second look the appear exactly the same (the lack of glow really helps). Regardless... I would really appreciate your vector version (mines rasterized and not versatile).

How many gay friends do I have or gay people do I know? I haven't a clue, to be honest. I haven't thought to enquire (I've been married for a considerable period and so unlikely to be able to make good use of whatever answers I might get). Whether or not someone I encounter socially or through work is a teenage girl or not I have to say is easier to be sure of. I admit that the hearts didn't scream "gay" to me until it was pointed out - from my limited experience of humankind they screamed "teenage girl" with a vengeance (one of my clients has a teenage girl whose pink notebook occasionally needs some work - while the teenage boy had a notebook that he deemed "Ferrari Red" he has passed that off to dad when he got himself a dark grey one instead).

It's not just "gearheads" who prefer a serious look, or just gay people (is that even PC at present?) who like flowers and hearts, and I don't doubt for a moment that most people on these forums are fairly open - but they're looking at how these images will go over to the actual public. IMHO, the general public are notoriously prejudiced :(

Love the idea of swapping (at least some of) the hearts for fairly generic "musical symbol, forumula 1 racing car/USB/WiFi/Internet/Blutooth" etc. etc. symbols. Symbols that represent what Pandora can do/is about without being as specific as providing a bullet list (although I quite like that image too, except that Pandora isn't going to be that color).

Monk said:
one of my clients has a teenage girl whose pink notebook occasionally needs some work
I bet it does, I bet it does
2wowvmc.jpg

mali said:
Male dominated fora are a great resource for sociological observations :rolleyes:
Better than you are, as is evident.

Monk said:
(is that even PC at present?)
You shouldn't really use 'PC' any more, the correct term is 'Socially Aware'. The term 'Politically Correct' is not socially aware.

;)

EdCa22 said:
Monk said:
(is that even PC at present?)
You shouldn't really use 'PC' any more, the correct term is 'Socially Aware'. The term 'Politically Correct' is not socially aware.

;)

See? I'm not even P...err, Socially Aware enough to have ever heard of that! (though, to be frank, it wouldn't surprise me in the least... we're a funny species, humans)

I wasnt serious, its just a statement thats highlights the over-sensitive world we live. Or something like that. Especially in the UK.

I probably need several pages of paper work to check that the statement I just wrote is ok with the legal department and that our backs are covered. And it should be signed in triplicate from a representative of each of the 12 layers of management so that its quite clear that we followed procedure, and also that no single person is actually taking responsibility for it if theres a cock up and we get sued.

The worst part is I'm writing this on a computer which doesnt have a little sticky label on the power chord saying that some guy tested the fuse, which is a major breach of health & safety. I mean, heaven forbid I should decide to do something crazy like change the hard disk. I'd need a risk assement, a permit to work, proof that I am suitably qualified personelle and have done training courses that are up to date and meet the latest national and international standards, I'd need a procedure that can be followed to do the actual removal and upgrade, I'd need another procedure that describes how I can proove that the unit is electrically isolted and dead before I start the work, or even open the case. Those procedures would have to be signed by someone to say they had been correctly followed, and someone else would have to do the actual work anyway because I'm not allowed to carry out the work for a procedure that I wrote. And you think I'm joking.

Sorry. /end off-topic rant

EdCa22 said:
I wasnt serious, its just a statement thats highlights the over-sensitive world we live. Or something like that. Especially in the UK.

I probably need several pages of paper work to check that the statement I just wrote is ok with the legal department and that our backs are covered. And it should be signed in triplicate from a representative of each of the 12 layers of management so that its quite clear that we followed procedure, and also that no single person is actually taking responsibility for it if theres a cock up and we get sued.

The worst part is I'm writing this on a computer which doesnt have a little sticky label on the power chord saying that some guy tested the fuse, which is a major breach of health & safety. I mean, heaven forbid I should decide to do something crazy like change the hard disk. I'd need a risk assement, a permit to work, proof that I am suitably qualified personelle and have done training courses that are up to date and meet the latest national and international standards, I'd need a procedure that can be followed to do the actual removal and upgrade, I'd need another procedure that describes how I can proove that the unit is electrically isolted and dead before I start the work, or even open the case. Those procedures would have to be signed by someone to say they had been correctly followed, and someone else would have to do the actual work anyway because I'm not allowed to carry out the work for a procedure that I wrote. And you think I'm joking.

Sorry. /end off-topic rant

The God of Natural Selection, if there is one, is up there crying with you (and me). Don't worry, my friend, one day we will find a way for stupid people to effectively and accidentally kill themselves again and the world will be better for it!

Fusion powered blender, anyone?

you know, the only thing worse than people going out of their way to be politically correct is people going out of their way to be not so, or points it out and whines about it every chance they get.

The power of not being literal is that you can associate a feeling with the product.

I feel pretty.

Oh so pretty.

I feel pretty, and witty, and gay.

And I pity.

Any girl... okay you get the point.

Back