Raspberry Pi 2 unveiled with faster processor and more memory

The RPi2 also still has the slower RAM and no Ethernetcontroller directly in the soc but bodged on via usb what makes it slow abd restricts usb bandwidth if you use both.
 How bad is this?  If I was watching a movie via USB hard-drive what sort of speed could I expect via wired ethernet?
I can play 1080p H264 videos perfectly with a straight NFS connection from my Media server to the original RPi on my 100Mbit ethernet network. No Transcoding or anything.

For example with usb Wifi stick I get really slow speeds via SMB. It is a bit better with NFS but still videos with high bitrate will not be smooth.

I think the usb was a bit limited by the cpu io speed. Could be better with a separate thread. Will find out tomorrow when it arrives.

I also had problems copying files from ntfs formatted hdds. No higher speed that 2.5 MB/s max.

Edit: This was on a B+. My RPi2 is still in delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pi2 just arrived. Came bundled with what claims to be a 1amp PSU, though the stated spec says 1.8a is what's needed. On the other hand, other users of the same bundle aren't complaining, so maybe it's enough to get going?

Got mine the other day.. it`s rated at 2.5a. 

But the UK one I was using up until I replaced it with a US one ( I like in the USA now )   was rated at 1.2a ( for pi 1 ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's reassuring, I guess it'll be testing it's limits when I start sticking lots of accessories into it. What's the worst that could happen.......!

Seems odd to bundle such a low rated PSU with a bundle that includes two Wireless adaptors for starters:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B00R8K1JT6/ref=sr_1_16/277-5765399-4580621?ie=UTF8&qid=1426155242&sr=8-16&keywords=raspberry+pi

At least the official 2A one is cheap enough:

http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections/pi-kits/products/raspberry-pi-universal-power-supply

Will invest as soon as I work out what I'm doing.

Is it as fussy about MicroSD cards as the original? There's a lot listed even from the big names that didn't work with the original:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

I have a various.. sandisk and un-branded... not seen any issues yet. Only that the current version of Ultraslim isn`t working on the Pi2 :(

Has anyone tried HEVC/H.265 encoded files on the Pi 2?

Anybody got PCSX ReARMed running on RPi 2 under Raspbian (as opposed to under one of the emulation sd card image setups)?

Hi I think the main thing is that configure didn't detect neon so I tweaked the config.mak to force neon support, added the raspi2's cpu type and I seem to remember enabling the threaded sound... it's a few weeks ago so I forget exactly, but here is the contents of my config.mak.

Code:
# Automatically generated by configure
# Configured with: './configure'
CC = gcc
CXX = g++
AS = as
CFLAGS +=  -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -Wno-unused-result
ASFLAGS +=  -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon
LDFLAGS += 
MAIN_LDFLAGS += 
MAIN_LDLIBS += -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lSDL -lpulse -lasound -lpng  -ldl -lm -lpthread -lz
PLUGIN_CFLAGS +=  -fPIC

ARCH = arm
PLATFORM = generic
BUILTIN_GPU = neon
SOUND_DRIVERS =  oss alsa pulseaudio sdl
PLUGINS = plugins/spunull/spunull.so plugins/dfxvideo/gpu_peops.so plugins/gpu_unai/gpu_unai.so plugins/gpu-gles/gpu_gles.so
HAVE_NEON = 1
HAVE_TSLIB = 1
HAVE_GLES = 1
CFLAGS_GLES =  -I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux
LDLIBS_GLES = -lEGL -lGLESv1_CM  -L/opt/vc/lib -lbcm_host
USE_DYNAREC = 1

Back