!reader With Rtf

reeced

Those of you who've tried !Reader know how good it is. Using the RTF format shows it off at its best. However there's not much available in RTF - but there is in HTML.
Try using ISHTAR HTML to RTF converter, freeware - http://www.cena.fr/~sagnier/info/formats/c...ons/htm2rtf.htm (get the latest beta version)
The result is far superior (colour, bold, italic, underline) than reading the HTML direct on !Reader, and it's so easy to use - you can just drag the HTML file onto the command file, and the job's done.

Nice one...

Edit :)
On a similar note - It's true that there are alot more articles in html (I mean look at the news), but I often find it hard to isolate the html-file containing the actual article. What I mean is that you'll often end up with sidemenues and other stuff contained in other frames of the html.

Isn't there as simpler tool for saving such html article? I can of cause always copy/paste into wordpad and fidle about with fonting afterwards (I have until now), but I think this could be done easier.

I don't talk about one those homepage-dumping programs, since this is on a lot smaller scale... Perhaps a FireFox extension?

Ringo posted on Oct 13 2004 at 09:33 AM said:
Nice one...

On a similar note - It's true that there are alot more articles in html (I mean look at the news), but I often find it hard to isolate the html-file containing the actual article. What I mean is that you'll often end up with sidemenues and other stuff contained in other frames of the html.

Isn't there as simpler tool for saving such html article? I can of cause always copy/paste into wordpad and fidle about with fonting afterwards (I have until now), but I think this could be done easier.

I don't talk about one those homepage-dumping programs, since this is on a lot smaller scale... Perhaps a FireFox extension?

Right-clicking within a frame and going to "View Source" in IE gives me the source of that frame, so I'm sure FireFox has similiar capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx posted on Oct 13 2004 at 03:22 PM said:
Ringo posted on Oct 13 2004 at 09:33 AM said:
Nice one...

Right-clicking within a frame and going to "View Source" in IE gives me the source of that frame, so I'm sure FireFox has similiar capabilities.

It does, right click in the frame and then go to "This Frame" --> "View Frame Source".

Yeah... and Opera too.

I admit it wasn't actually what I was thinking, but it works. I found stripping out everything before and after the article in a html-file, in fact isn't too much of a hassle.

Your slogan seems to be: "why make it easy, if there´s a more complicated way?"" :lol: :p

well, im using M$ Word to save my files as .rtf (which is Rich Text Format). I can just mark the text I want as RTF, press CTRL+C, open Word, press CTRL+V, save it as "somethingsomething.rtf" (I select "Rich text format" in the dropdown menu), and voila, got it. Wordpad does the job, too btw! It´s a standard Windows tool.

But how can i convert files to that "Aporti DOC" format? is there some kind of converter?

Horscht posted on Oct 13 2004 at 06:46 PM said:
Your slogan seems to be: "why make it easy, if there´s a more complicated way?"" :lol:  :p

well, im using M$ Word to save my files as .rtf (which is Rich Text Format). I can just mark the text I want as RTF, press CTRL+C, open Word, press CTRL+V, save it as "somethingsomething.rtf" (I select "Rich text format" in the dropdown menu), and voila, got it. Wordpad does the job, too btw! It´s a standard Windows tool.

But how can i convert files to that "Aporti DOC" format? is there some kind of converter?

Good point :D

I would however have to install MS Word to do that ;)

Horscht posted on Oct 13 2004 at 07:03 PM said:
or use wordpad, ehich comes with any windows version so far (at least with 98, ME, 2000 and XP)

Ehh... I do.
Opening a html-file in that program displays the html-code - Which is why I (as mentioned) cut everything else but the article away in this code.

Horscht posted on Oct 13 2004 at 06:46 PM said:
Your slogan seems to be: "why make it easy, if there´s a more complicated way?"" :lol: :p

Horscht - I'm all in favour of making things easier. For web pages your method is straightforward. However, for ebooks, which is what I was thinking about, my method is simple - you don't even have to open the HTML ebook - just drag it over the command file and it's done.
BTW AportisDoc converter (shareware) is available on the internet, but I believe the company ceased trading a while ago.

this is a great tip, thanks reeced.

don't suppose you know any good (free) converters for pdf's? the ones I tried either convert the full layout and create a far too complex rtf or they are too simplistic and just strip the text.....

Back