Recommend One Game For Everyone Else To Play On Their Pandora

Trevor Bradley said:
Just tangenting on that offtopic.. it might be nifty if there was a way to take screenshots during games if a contest like that were to be run. Some background app that saved a jpg if a certain keycombo were hit.
Since pandora uses xorg it shouldn't be hard to use import from ImageMagic (a command line graphics manipulation suite) to get a screenshot, and it could be mapped to some key combo

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrono Trigger (SNES).

1080946775-09.png

Definitely the best console RPG I've ever played, with awesome graphics (for being SNES), great characters and a compelling story that just sucks you right in and makes you care, and the best combat system I've seen on a console RPG (no random battles, yay!). Too bad they messed up the PSX conversion with horrible load times and the sequel with too many useless characters.

Game: Star Fox

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_(SNES)

System: SNES

Screenshot (courtesy of VGMuseum):
starfox-11.png

Genre: 3D shooter

Description: An engaging 3D shooter that's somewhat based upon the exploits of World War II pilots, Star Fox features nicely-weighted controls, good physics, and a decent challenge (well, perhaps it's technically three challenges, as you get to pick which route you want to take through the game). If ever there was a game that I would personally describe as being damn-near-perfect, it is this one. :p

Arcade-perfect R-type of course (this is not possible with GP2X because R-Type arcade has a resolution of 384x256)!

rtype-1.png

Bramrash said:
Slightly offtopic, but I remember at one point in the GP2X era there was someone who set up a topic where for a week people had to try to get the highest score on a specific game, then after the week, the winner was announced and a new game was chosen. I'd love to see something like that again, maybe with a league table for how many times certain people have got the highest score or something.

Obviously there's a small element of trust involved, but it seemed to work well.

Oh, and I suggest playing Heart of Darkness for PSX. Great platform game.
I think this is a nice idea - in all honesty I'm not sure I'd ever get round to playing a game hard enough to get a good score, but I still think it'd be a nice thing to run.

This whole thread is actually quite cool, so many good games to replay, and also lots of ones I never saw first time around to check out (looking through the posts on this thread I've missed quite a few gems).

Steve

Consequence9 said:
Snatcher

Bloody oath on that.

Here's mine:

Worms (Amiga)
Worms_scrapyardscreenshot.png

Turn based artillery game.
One of my all time favourite games, and definitely my favourite Amiga game.
If A1200 emulation is available on the P, play the director's cut version.

Esn said:
I would mention Star Control 3 (a great space exploration game, despite the critics), but it's possible that the DOS emulation will never be fast enough to play it.

Better that you not mention it. ;)
Just stick to The Ur Quan Masters, and pray for a universe in which Toys For Bob can reclaim the rights to Star Control and produce a proper sequel.

One game ?

You're really going to make me choose between SWOS on a amiga emulator and Elite on the BBC emulator ?

Well we'll go with Elite as it makes better use of the keyboard.

NOT the Best game I've ever played, but surely the most carefree and funniest one.

I recommend "Tomba! 2" (sometimes "Tombi! 2"):
tomba_2_the_evil_swine_return_frontcover_large_DTmgRBwmEMKw51u.jpg

Wiki page

I see what you did there Carl!
And yes, Tomba is a really good game... most of the games here are too, it's a little nostalgic...
One game is truly hard to choose on, but I think I'll go for Future Cop: LAPD.
It's a mech game with a lot of depth in the gameplay and specifically the multiplayer. Coop is fun but playing against each other is actually really tactical and a hell of a blast with friends.
future_cop_explosion.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Cop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2rPuRDtL_s

I think everyone who played this will remember Sky Captain's quotes.
"Fly, my pretties!"

Tobs

Super Star Soldier - On PC Engine (TG-16)

or entire solider series on PC engine (Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, Soldier Blade, Star Parodier)

Cost me nearly £400 back in the day for little carts which were HuE cards looked like credit cards

Fantastic on the portable and TV console variants of PC-Engine

I'm recommending Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile :)
It's a complete and completely awesome hack of the well-known SNES RPG Chrono Trigger - this play, you play as Magus; I'll quote romhacking.net:
Chrono Trigger: Prophet’s Guile is a fan game following the story of Magus’s rise to power in the Kingdom of Zeal after arriving in 12000 B.C. thanks to the distortion at his lair. In his bid to stop Lavos at the Ocean Palace, Magus must gain the trust of Queen Zeal and abolish all opposition. It’s about two regular Chrono Trigger chapters long, and full of surprises.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuAkxoSFdSA

362screenshot3.png
362screenshot1.png
362screenshot2.png

Back