Red Dragon

Halcyon

I mentioned this on the Other consoles Virtual boy thread, and I promise I won't do it again if it doesn't get any attention now but is this something the Pandora can handle?

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/tech/index.php?sec=emus&eid=rdragon

It is a virtual boy emulator and there is a linux version of it for download. I should mention again I don't know anything about programing and am not saying Oh it says linux someone told me the Pandora is linux hmm should be easy to do...

I was just wondering if this is something that could potentially happen or is it not possible at all. I have tried it for the PSP and it works ok.

I might be one of the few people who actually liked this device and enjoyed the games. Just wanted to run it by the community.

Thank you

IS there sourcecode avaiable?

I haven't found anything. A linux x86 binary won't work.

Edit: Oh, I see. There is, but I can't get it to link...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I built it, but it is much too slow and no sound :(

IF you like, I can post the pnd and source, but i think this will be going nowhere...

Edit: Here is the pnd, but I didn't put much effort into this, just for testing purposes. It includes the source, that compiles.

The Makefile is shitty though, so I just used gcc to build it.

http://maheld.heckel-web.pharmchem.uni-frankfurt.de/reddragon.pnd

Well,, I was able to play Warioland and V-Tetris with audio and with some lag, though very playable . I found that the frame rate works best with the slider in the mid position per menu. I was able to get a full screen per double screen size option in the menu.

.I was able to get the red and black palate also per menu. One must choose the 3D option for this and also the 3D swap option. Black and white was the default. I selected resolution as auto detect.

Audio was not by default.

Nester's Bowling and Galatic Pinball were practically unplayable for me. This was in contrast to what the Red Dragon web site reported.

I had to remap my control scheme and save as default for the original default was all keyboard. I was not able to map the nubs or shoulder buttons.

I did not zip the files. They are .vb and placed then in a RED DRAGON folder under pandora/apps/roms. The Red Dragon .pnd emulator was placed in the pandora/appdata folder [as you must know].

I have downloaded other games and will report later if need be. I hope this might help others.

All the audio is sort of a gas after beans like sound :unsure:

Thank you for providing me this experience.

Cheers.

Therefore, I would rank this emulator a 6.5/10 at this time.

Space Invaders plays quite well with the 2D or 3D option selected.

Mario Clash plays slow and without audio .

Jack Bros. was playable with some audio.

I was not able to play Mario Tennis or Teleroboxer successfully. There was no audio achievable.

I rightfully stand to be corrected if my analysis is erroneous. :mellow:

Last edited:
wow mcobit, you were able to make something go with this eh. Right on, Now it is time for work and then class after but sometime in the next 24 hours i can give this a go. I have no idea how these things go but should we put this on the open pandora web page for others to download, if more users see this emulator and like it maybe one with the programming chops will have a go at it and see if they can optimize it some how.

At any rate thank you again for putting the effort in thx scooby for the quick review. Looking forward to trying this my self, although Mario Tennis was my favorite bummed to hear it doesn't work.

If there is demand, I can package this properly and put it on repo with some defaultmappings, that make sense, but I don't have the skills to optimize the emulation itself.

Edit: Select double screensize and x11 fullscreen for best screenfilling.

If there is demand, I can package this properly and put it on repo with some defaultmappings, that make sense, but I don't have the skills to optimize the emulation itself.

Edit: Select double screensize and x11 fullscreen for best screenfilling.
When you have the time,I would appreciate the default mapping very much so.

Either way, this is enjoyable and appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have. It sounds to be better than this, honestly. Still, thanks for your efforts, mcobit.

Hm - I wonder: Can any of these emulators display both screens side-by-side so I can use the cross-eye-trick to play in 3D? :D

This one can display the two pictures over one another.

Ok, I decided to not put this on the repo.

I played vb on hu-go and it is much better than on this imho.

If someone with codingskills wants to take this over, he just needs to get the pnd. There is everything inside to build it.

I hope someone is able to make it work better, but putting it on repo would raise requests for performance etc., that I cannot fulfill.

Ok, I decided to not put this on the repo.

I played vb on hu-go and it is much better than on this imho.

If someone with codingskills wants to take this over, he just needs to get the pnd. There is everything inside to build it.

I hope someone is able to make it work better, but putting it on repo would raise requests for performance etc., that I cannot fulfill.
I never knew hu-go could play vb.

I have hu-go for NEC games and they run very well.

Hm - I wonder: Can any of these emulators display both screens side-by-side so I can use the cross-eye-trick to play in 3D? :D

Yeah with a bit of tinkering I got the mednafen emulator to display both screen side by side... I posted it in a mednafen thread...

Oh, sorry, I meant mednafen, not hugo ;)
For the love of SATI ,,where may I find the correct mednafen?? There are many.

I was going coconuts looking for a hugo vb emulator :wacko:

Cheers.

Last edited:
Mednafen is a bit better then red dragon.

Thank you so much mcobit again for doing such a quick .pnd of the red dragon i appreciate it.

Anyone know much about the Mednafen VB emulator? is there a way to turn off the red blue 3D?

Also i have maybe a dumb question but what is Mednafen? Is that a software developer who made a bunch of emulators?

Back