Refund Question

Karel Jansens said:
No, I received EUR 258.18 on my credit card (I was wrong about the next balance being in december; the online balance is pretty up to date, albeit cunningly hidden by my bank) which, at today's exchange rates, amounts to GBP 218.12. I only need GBP 213.99 for the reorder (that's including the Dreaded VAT), so I'm up more than GBP 5.

Seems yours may be different to what others are saying. Curious

Sorry for my mis-understanding. As this is a community, are you buying the beer? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Karel Jansens said:
Well I'm not. My credit card is tied to my bank account and the next balance isn't due until december 12. That
If your card is tied to your bank account, then it's not a credit card, it's a debit card. Credit cards give you a credit account, and thus have nothing to do with your bank account. In which case, you can visit the bank and ask if a deposit has been made.
You are wrong, a credit card commonly is only *bound* to a normal bank account. Afaik no-one has a money/bank account directly with VISA (for instance). As there are not VISA banks out there.
Happens instead that your bank, since trusts you, offers you along the normal ATM card that is not a credit card, also a VISA card relying on your same account. So that you are able to have some credit from VISA.
This is why VISA sums up all the operations you've made in a solar month (1st-31st) and apply you the charges on your bank account the 15th of the next month in line.
I make you an example:

John Doe's online XYZBank latest operations:
+1300 deposit from YourWorkingCompany 3/7/2008 <-- note it's july
-80 ATM operation 5/7/2008
-45 Shell petrol company 8/7/2008
-110 POS payment 11/7/2008
-565 VISA UPDATE 15/7/2008 <----- 15th sharp of each month
-50 ATM operation 21/7/2008
...so on..

John Doe's VISA online latest operations:

-500 MediaWorld S.p.a 2/6/2008 <-- note it's june
-45 Restaurant ABC 30/6/2008
==================================
-20 Monthly fee

A debit card is different, since does not allow you to go below zero money.
A credit card is the same of a debit card, but someone is trusting you for a maximum of N euro / month, and they expect you to have the money back at the 15th

so it's a shit. because I have to wait the 15th of december as well to see if something changed in my accounts. THIS is not fair, because we gave craig trust from the first moment, now I have to reorder before the 15th of december or I will kicked out? I can pay for A SECOND pandora, I know, but having me trusting twice and my seller don't trusting me at all.
Please avoid answering that wouldn't be a second pandora but only my first. Until my money is back there (and I expect not before december since I'm busy to argue with my bank now) what I can do is only paying twice if as I read I've got a time limit to reorder. A totally aggressive unfriendly time limit. All pandora shippings should be delayed till all the re-orderings are completed for everyone to be intellectually honest.

=========

look at the coincidences:
my mommy :) is my bank's manager, and just called me at work (1 minute ago) informing me a certain "PANDORA" refunded me 262 euros, so I think I'm gonna re-order now.
But normal people have still to wait 15th december to see the operation publicated.
I'm little less upset now, that's good at least.

There are a *load* of Visa and Mastercard regulations around transaction refunds, particularly when currency conversions are concerned.

You might want to check the small print of your agreements...

paolo said:
You are wrong, a credit card commonly is only *bound* to a normal bank account. Afaik no-one has a money/bank account directly with VISA (for instance). As there are not VISA banks out there.
Happens instead that your bank, since trusts you, offers you along the normal ATM card that is not a credit card, also a VISA card relying on your same account. So that you are able to have some credit from VISA.
This is why VISA sums up all the operations you've made in a solar month (1st-31st) and apply you the charges on your bank account the 15th of the next month in line.
[...]
Not at all.

I have a VISA card connected directly to my bank account. Whenever I do a VISA transaction it is immediately deducted from my bank account.
What you describe is how it works for my Mastercard.

The point is, it all depends. For some banks a Mastercard is tied directly to the bank account, for example. In my bank the VISA card is tied to my account, in other banks in the same country they're credit cards.
It's got nothing to do with the card company being a bank or not, it's all about how your bank deals with the cc company.

paolo said:

Well, that doesn't happen to me, or anyone I know. My visa card is NOT tied to any of my bank accounts (in fact my Visa card isn't even from my bank). I get a statement each month, and it's up to me if I decide to pay some or all of it each month. If I pay none of it, a non-payment charge is applied to the account, and if I do that twice, I get a letter from a debt recovery company demanding payment. I can transfer funds from my bank accounts, but they take 3 - 5 days as they are normal bank transfers just like paying Joe Bloggs.

Tor said:
I have a VISA card connected directly to my bank account. Whenever I do a VISA transaction it is immediately deducted from my bank account.
Isn't that a VISA Debit card, rather than a VISA Credit card?

It' a debit card because of the way it works, yes. I can't get a VISA credit card through my bank, but I can get a Mastercard credit card from them.
My father has a VISA card through another bank, it's a credit card, but it looks exactly the same as my own VISA card - it doesn't say credit or debit on any of them.

Squidge said:
paolo said:

Well, that doesn't happen to me, or anyone I know. My visa card is NOT tied to any of my bank accounts (in fact my Visa card isn't even from my bank). I get a statement each month, and it's up to me if I decide to pay some or all of it each month. If I pay none of it, a non-payment charge is applied to the account, and if I do that twice, I get a letter from a debt recovery company demanding payment. I can transfer funds from my bank accounts, but they take 3 - 5 days as they are normal bank transfers just like paying Joe Bloggs.

Tor said:
Isn't that a VISA Debit card, rather than a VISA Credit card?
:) never heard about this kind of contracts, probably due they're not popular (or not existing) in Italy.
anyway sounds risky...

Tor said:
VISA and MC both have credit and debit versions. Is there an 'electron' logo on your VISA by any chance? Then it's a debit card.

paolo said:
:) never heard about this kind of contracts, probably due they're not popular (or not existing) in Italy.
anyway sounds risky...
I believe the Dutch/Belgian situation is rather unique. I am from the Netherlands myself and I received my refund email last week. No money in the bank yet.
In Belgium and the Netherlands quite a few 'creditcards' issued from the bank are actually Debit cards which are directly 'tied' into bank-accounts. The amount of money paid with the credit card in a month will be deducted from the owner's bank account the next month. It is not possible to 'postpone' payment at an increased interest rate or rack-up credit card debt.
Refunds to a debit card that cannot be 'negative' or 'positive' - but are in fact just a method of payment directly from a bank account - will no doubt move along different paths than those done to 'real' credit cards. The banks themselves have a contract with the creditcard companies and they could cause quite a delay in the refund process showing up on the customer's bank accounts.

My advice to all Dutch/Belgian debit card payers is to get in contact with their banks to see whether a refund is coming their way - without having to wait another month - and decide accordingly what to do and notify the team. It might not be possible to gain information before the Bank is finished processing the refund.

Mark1970 said:
paolo said:
anyway sounds risky...
I believe the Dutch/Belgian situation is rather unique. I am from the Netherlands myself and I received my refund email last week. No money in the bank yet.
In Belgium and the Netherlands quite a few 'creditcards' issued from the bank are actually Debit cards which are directly 'tied' into bank-accounts. The amount of money paid with the credit card in a month will be deducted from the owner's bank account the next month. It is not possible to 'postpone' payment at an increased interest rate or rack-up credit card debt.
Refunds to a debit card that cannot be 'negative' or 'positive' - but are in fact just a method of payment directly from a bank account - will no doubt move along different paths than those done to 'real' credit cards. The banks themselves have a contract with the creditcard companies and they could cause quite a delay in the refund process showing up on the customer's bank accounts.

My advice to all Dutch/Belgian debit card payers is to get in contact with their banks to see whether a refund is coming their way - without having to wait another month - and decide accordingly what to do and notify the team. It might not be possible to gain information before the Bank is finished processing the refund.

Yes indeed I dont think the refund will be in before the next monthly payment, which in my case will make it not before the end of december. (hopefully that is not to long of a wait for the team,) if it is not in next payment but one further it would be the next year. :huh:

Bosbeetle said:
Yes indeed I dont think the refund will be in before the next monthly payment, which in my case will make it not before the end of december. (hopefully that is not to long of a wait for the team,) if it is not in next payment but one further it would be the next year. :huh:
I am going to contact my bank, Rabobank, to see if I can get any information on the refund from them. If they can confirm a refund than I am willing to pay again and I've informed the team that I am going to pay 'cause I want that Pandora. ;-)

Sean Smith said:
I got my refund through but haven't received any emails on what to do next :-(

If you are planning on using a credit/debit card to re-order, the link is not up yet nor are there any instructions, so just hang on in there. If you are planning a bank transfer, the full details can be found here, so you can also see what the email said.

VRAndy said:
It's entirely possible to "refund" a credit card transaction without knowing where the money originated. Amazon dot com does it occasionally, with no problem.

At least, that's my understanding. I haven't gotten my refund email yet.
Basically in the simplest terms possible, what happens is when you send an initial payment, it goes through a "payment gateway" (VeriSign, PayPal, Authorize.net, etc) which keeps track of everything in an encrypted format, sends the information onto the seller's bank, and eventually to your CC company, then the cc authorizes the payment to the seller, and the seller's bank sends back a message to the payment gateway saying the payment went through, and the gateway sends a reference to the transaction to the seller. So... when money needs to be refunded, the seller sends the gateway the reference, and how much to refund, and voila, you have your refund. No need for the seller to know your cc or bank information.

i don't think anyone is going to loose a meaningful amount of money if they stay on top of the refund process...even if currency has fluctuated some, they are going to refund back to you what it costs to order the thing right? so if you just reorder it as soon as you get the money you shouldn't loose that much.

I think adding the ram as a gesture of good will is great personally, and really, it does help the community as a whole no matter if you get refunded or not...at the end of the day if you're truly unhappy just don't reorder...i'm sure someone would love to take your spot.

salasq said:
Tor said:
VISA and MC both have credit and debit versions. Is there an 'electron' logo on your VISA by any chance? Then it's a debit card.

(Had to google that..)
Nope. No electron logo, and no 'debit card' written anywhere on it.

salasq said:
When I visit the US from Canada and hand over my credit card, I often get asked the question "Credit or Debit?", either by the cashier or the electronic card scanner. I usually have to stop and think "It's a credit card, say credit".

Debit cards bearing Visa/Mastercard logos seem popular in some countries, and unheard of in others. Here in Canada, credit cards are credit cards (and while hosted by banks aren't tied to any bank account), debit cards are debit cards, and anyone under 40 rarely uses physical cash.

Trevor Bradley said:
Debit cards bearing Visa/Mastercard logos seem popular in some countries, and unheard of in others. Here in Canada, credit cards are credit cards (and while hosted by banks aren't tied to any bank account), debit cards are debit cards, and anyone under 40 rarely uses physical cash.
Over here it's easy to differentiate between credit & debit cards, even by touch. Credit cards have the old-fashioned raised cc numbers (usable in pre-electronic 'terminals'), debit cards have larger, more modern, slightly indented printed numbers. Of course that only goes for basic debit cards, not, for example, student ID cards with included VISA electron functionality.

FWIW its also posible to have both in one card here in the US

I have 2 bank accounts at 2 different banks , one is pretty much standard but the other i use for both personal and work related stuff, with that account visa has a card that ties directly to the account it can function as either a debit card, a credit card, or a credit charge though visa that comes right out of my account, and people,banks can deposit money threw visa to that account .. so atleast here in the US it is possible to have some realy screwey cards :> only problem i ever had so far was when i was in Rahden, Germany this last year it wouldnt work as a strait debit card, had to do everything as visa credit, and of course pay thier rates :<

Back