[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

OKay hows this..

PM me your C4A MAME game requests now; I'm sorry, theres a couple threads with this information, and I'll go through them.. but save me some time.. send me your requests _right now_.

(And remember, some games are not decoded yet; some do not work at all in this sort of situation; but I'll can to pick the top 5 or 10 titles to add for June; hopefully add them next week (before June!) for testing before the month actually kicks off!)

jeff

If someone does want to do prizes.. I have some cool ones possibly lined up, as well..

.. but I'm not sure it 'works'; there always seems to be a person or two who dominate any given game (and usually multiple) which would be quite annoying.

We could do brackets.. ''good job, you're the top of the bronze league', but thats sort of goofy too.

So until we figure out how to get prizes across a spectrum of people, it may not be cool.

(We could get the number of submissions and give prizes to that, but then peopel will spam it; we could just get the list of all people who submitted non-baseline scores, and then randomly pick a few people.. a 'participation door prize.') that last one could work, but it doesn't encourage skill at all.

*shrug*

jeff

Oh, but if you want to offer prizes _yourself_, that is certainlt your business :) I can update the banner dynamicly, and milkshake could add a note to the website, if you want to do your own prizes. Let me know.

Ok, just added RickyD, the Rick Dangerous remake

preview3.png

And CannonBall, the OutRun remake,

preview6.png
to the C4A Collection..

Let's play :)

Added these now.. need testing however:

aliensyn       Alien Syndrome
asteroid       Asteroids (first vector game; you'll want to fiddle with MAME settings to make it visible right..)
berzerk        Berzerk
bosco          Bosconian
citycon        City Connection
galaga        Galaga
goldnaxe     Golden Axe
inthunt        Into the Hunt
nrallyx         New Rally X
quartet         Quartet <- maybe should be quartet2 instead (same game, less options)
scramble     Scramble
tigeroad      Tiger Road
wboy           Wonderboy

Likely another batch adding tonight or tomorrow

jeff

I tried a few games (galaga, golden axe, quartet), but no score upload. But I tried Black tiger and it doesn't showed up neither (I'm 100% sure I'm online), so I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Galaga works.

Here's the deal...if you do not get the high score on your internal game...or at least get to enter your initials on your internal game...then nothing is being written to the .hi file.

If nothing is being written to the .hi file - presumably, nothing is sent to C4A.

Can you confirm this, Skeezix?

It seems to me this presents a tiny problem, if my theory is correct:

If you get a lot of really high scores on your internal scoreboard...which are then saved...it will become harder and harder for you to register a score on your internal .hi file.  and if nothing gets written to the .hi file, and thus nothing written to C4A...you could get a pretty awesome score and have it not register...can you confirm this idea, Skeezix?

It seems to me then, you would have to manually delete your .hi file for the game...thus "re-setting" your internal scoreboard.  The .hi files would automatically re-create themselves.

So, it seems to me, perhaps a good idea in future C4A releases...would be - after receiving info from the person's .hi file...it would then wipe out the .hi file.  Is this possible to do?  Or would people have to manually delete their .hi file every so often?  Or does it not matter?

This is what occurred to me in this testing of the latest new games.

To test my theory, I played a lousy game of Frogger on purpose.  One which was lower than the internal high score on the ROM itself.  It did not register on the website.  Yet we know Frogger works.

Galaga works.

Here's the deal...if you do not get the high score on your internal game...or at least get to enter your initials on your internal game...then nothing is being written to the .hi file.

If nothing is being written to the .hi file - presumably, nothing is sent to C4A.

Can you confirm this, Skeezix?

It seems to me this presents a tiny problem, if my theory is correct:

If you get a lot of really high scores on your internal scoreboard...which are then saved...it will become harder and harder for you to register a score on your internal .hi file.  and if nothing gets written to the .hi file, and thus nothing written to C4A...you could get a pretty awesome score and have it not register...can you confirm this idea, Skeezix?

It seems to me then, you would have to manually delete your .hi file for the game...thus "re-setting" your internal scoreboard.  The .hi files would automatically re-create themselves.

So, it seems to me, perhaps a good idea in future C4A releases...would be - after receiving info from the person's .hi file...it would then wipe out the .hi file.  Is this possible to do?  Or would people have to manually delete their .hi file every so often?  Or does it not matter?

This is what occurred to me in this testing of the latest new games.

To test my theory, I played a lousy game of Frogger on purpose.  One which was lower than the internal high score on the ROM itself.  It did not register on the website.  Yet we know Frogger works.
You right, if you don't enter hiscore table ingame, you don't show up on leaderboard. I did a 40k score on Galaga, so that wasn't that. I have an issue on my side I guess. Pity, I've made a very good first run, I'm sure I won't be abble to it again. Same for quartet.

I'm having a Compo4all MAME launch problem! When I select a game (obviously I do have the rom in the right folder; it worked before!) and click on play, it says: "Syncing scores for current season ... [game]" It seems to go through a lot of games and quite a bit slowly before launching the game - well, at least Mr. Do works for me - Golden Axe doesn't boot and it just sits there and nothing happens. IIRC this whole syncing didn't happen on a previous version; it surely is a bit annoying, so I'm wondering if this is necessary?

And why does my Golden Axe not work?  :(

My Lady Bug scores are not registered anymore a couple of days ago it still worked.

Bob, scores get reset at the beginning of the month, this is why your scores are not there anymore.

If you look at the tab for "All Time" they are still there.

But not for "Current Month"

and the scores in the Hub only show the Current Month scores...not "All-Time" scores.

The 'all time'  is from the previous month and I played a game today so should be registered and it did not. Maybe the problem is only on my device so feel free to try yourself :)  

All time is all months..

Jeffphone
Indeed, I was referring to my score in the 'all time' list. That was from previous month and this month the score for Lady Bug doesn't seem to register anymore. 

No new score has been uploaded since 2013/05/27

I tried today twice and failed. Could be an issue on my side, but then someone else has to try to confirm.

I won't have time to play any of em for awhile .. I can check server tomorrow .. Ties up good right now

Jeffphone

I won't have time to play any of em for awhile .. I can check server tomorrow .. Ties up good right now

Jeffphone
No problem, there is absolutely no rush. If it is the server I am sure more people will respond. Donkey Kong JR seems to have the same issue btw (haven' t tried it twice)

The logs "look okay" (too okay?) for Ladybug; looks like its all 'loopers' coming in (same scores coming in as went down.)

Can you try ditching your c4a-mame appdata, see if that helps? (ie: some client-side issue, however doubtful)?

Nothing stood out on the server but.. I'll clean out a few ardhive directories, maybe somethign is getting full up; etc; if no better, we'll have to get Serious :/

jeff

Yes, score is now registered :) Tried it with my 2nd Pandora and another profile. 

Will try again with my other Pandora, but server side seems to be fine now. Thanks.

Edit: Works with my other Pandora too without deleting any appdata. 

Edit2: Gave Donkey Kong JR also a try and its score is registered too.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I managed the high score in wonderboy last night 

gold.png
BOB drcjboduma 537460               2013/06/03

silver.png
BOB drcjboduma 526230               2013/06/03

but the front page still shows the second highest 

gold.png
BOB 526230 

CJ

Last edited by a moderator: